1/72nd Westland Whirlwind HAR.10, 'B' flight, 84 sqdn (UN)

Hi all, here's another one I built recently for Airfix Model World. The editor wanted it finished as a pretty clean machine as per the Doncaster museum example so weathering was kept to a minimum.This time it's a helio courtesy of David Evans at Whirlybird Models and is the resin kit of the HAR.10 XP329 of 'B' flight, 84 squadron which served with the United Nations whilst based out in Nicosia, Cyprus in 1981 flying resupply missions to DANCON posts in the buffer zone, (one of it's brethren, XP345 has been beautifully restored at Doncaster's Aeroventure museum).

The model is nicely moulded with good surface detail though unfortunately it needed a fair bit of work to smooth one fuselage half as the surface was quite pitted and slightly out of shape. (A hairdryer and some Perfect Putty filler soon sorted that out). A couple of odd omissions surfaced though including the lack of any ribbing detail to the inner cabin side walls, quite obvious with the cargo door open, which was replicated using Evergreen strips, lead wire and some odd scrap pieces from the spares box, no cabin side windows, (these were fashioned from clear acetate) and the extra side wind shield framing of the H.55 which isn't a feature on the HAR.10 and had to be carefully sanded off and polished, (this being done since publishing the article, not easy as the windscreen is clear resin). The interior itself, troop seats, bulkheads and cockpit are well rendered with a nice PE set and pewter parts to enhance the details and some really nicely moulded main rotors that have the requisite droop built in to make them look that much more realistic plus a suitably intricate rotor head assembly. The decals worked well, (the thin yellow strips on the rotors came from the Xtradecals pack).

I had a long chat with David at Telford and he went through a few of the things that I'd picked up with the kit, (he wasn't overjoyed that I had pointed out these omissions but it all ended amicably of course !) and he explained that to do everything was just beyond the scope of a small two or three man outfit........which is OK as long as people are aware of this before buying these relatively expensive kits...my job as a reviewer and contributor for AMW is to point out these things to people do that they know what they are getting in the box......both good and bad !).....

I have fond memories of the Whirlwind...as an air cadet in the mid seventies I managed to blag my way onto several rides whilst out at Bruggen on summer camp, strapped into the cabin, sitting next to the big open cargo door and watching the German countryside flash by at low level and hovering over thick forests made quite an impression on me, though I've flown in many helios since these flights will always be special, (mainly for the amazing noise level even wearing a bone dome)...

Painted using Gunze acrylics, RAF Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey and Tamiya NATO black fired through my trust Iwata Micron, finished with light oil and pastel washes and Alclad semi-matte varnish.

I painted the seats blue but having looked again inside '345 realise that they should actually be green but I'm not about to open it up now ...

I have to thank Colin here, (heloman) for his invaluable help with this one, cheers mate, much appreciated

Hope you like it,

Cheers, :cheers:

General 'Rotorhead' Melchett.....

DSC_0067_zps87hjfaks.jpg

DSC_0064_zps4q6tkmgf.jpg

DSC_0071_zps3vqhjdgx.jpg

DSC_0070_zps8thm07mo.jpg

DSC_0072_zpswongvdhg.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 51

HellomGeneral Melchett - My salutes and compliments to you once again for the beautiful looking build of your Whirlwind'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and she is a resplendent tribute to this aircraft.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, always appreciated !...I know it hasn't got any afterburners, four big engines or carry a heavy bomb load but it was something a little left field for me as I don't really do helos as a rule. The editor wanted this one done in a hurry as he's a big fan of the old beast, (but of course pulled the old 'I just don't have the time to build one myself' routine'), and besides I thought it would make a nice change from the usual heavy metal. Having said that I think he wants me to have at the big Fly Wessex now and has threatened me with stuffing one through my letter box least when I expect it, the man's an incorrigible rogue !......we'll see.

Thanks Tony, I agree it's a great scheme but I now quite fancy the yellow SAR version too.... :hmmm:

Yes me too,......I swear that RAF/RN helicopters are contagious,......once you`ve done one there are umpteen other schemes to have a go at!

Good luck with the Fly Wessex,.......I was promised one for sending a `wodge' of reference pics over when I noticed a few bloopers in the kit schemes and although I was asked later on which version I`d like I think he`s now forgotten,......pity because I can`t afford to buy one!

You`ll catch the bug if you aren`t careful Andy,.....be warned!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,

Tony, yes I know what you mean..it's a slippery slope, had a quick look in the stash the other day and saw a few flappy-wing blighters lurking at the back, SH CH-37 Mojave, Amodel Mil-6 and a HB Mil-4.......and the miniscule Skeeter is still to be finished...hmmm, not sure where they all came from !

Have a word with Chris re the Fly kit, I didn't see one down there last week so he might well be expecting it in soon......if he promised you one then please be my guest...

Thanks Frank, yes I'm more 1/48th with this size of aircraft too......I like 'em big !, (having said that I agreed to do a Valom RF-101C for AMW the other day, so strange things can and do happen)...

Thanks chaps, I believe Corgi have done a die-cast version in this scheme but I'm not aware of any mainstream manufacturers covering it. Something quite charismatic about the old girl.

Great to see that Andrew Morely's yellow HAR Mk.10 back on the airshow circuit, I haven't seen it perform yet but hopefully he'll be doing the rounds next year and I'll get a chance.