UK to buy 9 P-8 Poseidon Patrol Aircraft.

Julien

I wonder if the MOD got a Black Friday Discount on them? :wicked:

Seriously, though, I wonder if the RAF having a look at the P-1 when it visited was a tactic to try and get the US to drop the price of the P-8 a bit? :hmmm:

Annnnnd, contrary to my more pessimistic assessment, Lossiemouth looks to be in the running for the base.

Mike.

Edited by MikeR

I doubt they will fit a refuelling probe initially, I suspect these may be US stock and may be like our Globemaster III and Airseekers and remain with the standard US spec to begin with.

I think under this SDSR it will be about re-establishing the capability, post 2020 they may look to expand the fleet and probably incorporate additional roles at which point they may look into a refuelling probe to complement the receptacle alternately we may post 2020 look to buy out Air Tanker and take over our Voyagers to add the boom capability.

I would like to think that we can accelerate the process by buying the airplane 'off the shelf' so we can claw back some of the 5 years that has been wasted between scrapping Nimrod MR4 and what should have been parallel procurement in ordering the P-8. I certainly hope we don't start meddling with a perfectly good design and end up with something akin to the strongest cargo floor in the world (on the 'classic' C-130K, which made it the heaviest variant of the standard C-130 Hercules cargo variant) or fit new, heavier engines (F-4K/M), or cut holes in the fuselage etc etc…I see we already have 'fleets within fleets' with the very small number of A400Ms already in service…where every aircraft differs from the previous…..how has that happened ??.

I'm not holding my breath

We may well have ready trained aircrew that could act as a core to train others and have a capability from day 1, but do we have ground crew trained up?

Trevor

Base them at Stanstead or Gatwick and get Ryanair or Easyjet to service them, Guaranteed a quick turnaround.

• Like 5

I'm fairly sure the wings are common to all NG variants, however, the P-8 has raked wingtips (ala 764) rather than blended winglets. I could be wrong though...

You're absolutely right, I just checked on the Boeing website, and it's as you say.

I expect there will be a run on Revell Boeing 737-800 kits now...... :weep:

XVTonker

yes, simply the whole idea behind our nimrod MPA was they could stay aloft almost indefinitely for days weeks at a time with airrefueling, the P-8 will have to land for fuel even if it has a good range at the end of the day

What about Oil?

The P-8 is the best decision as the future replacement for the RC-135 will almost certainly be based on the 737

Edited by Blacktjet
  • Like 1

Whilst it's good to see a MPA coming back,I must confess to being totally underwhelmed by this machine despite being pleased they are planned for Lossie.

Yes I know Nimrod's father was an airliner but every time I see a P-8,I think of the spoof of a few years ago about the contract going to Ryanair! It's a 737!

Richard

Awaiting incoming.

• Like 3

yes, simply the whole idea behind our nimrod MPA was they could stay aloft almost indefinitely for days weeks at a time with airrefueling, the P-8 will have to land for fuel even if it has a good range at the end of the day

I'm sorry but that is utter horlicks!

The Spey fitted to Nimrod used a total loss labyrinth rear shaft seal which meant that, effectively, oil was dumped overboard into the jet efflux. The upshot being that endurance was limited to around 24 hrs (with AAR).

• Like 2

We may well have ready trained aircrew that could act as a core to train others and have a capability from day 1, but do we have ground crew trained up?

Trevor

I believe there are a number of RAF groundcrew embedded in the US Navy's Poseidon squadrons alongside their aircrew colleagues

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me if the weapons bay on the P-8 is inside or outside the pressure hull?

Peter

I'm guessing here but I would have thought outside, as otherwise how would you open the bay doors to deploy weapons? Also isn't it in the same place as the baggage bay on a civilian airframe (and those are unpressurised?).

Trevor

Trevor, the baggage bays are inside the pressure hull, that is why the turkish DC-10 crashed at Paris when the baggage door came open - iirc there weren't any effective pressure relief valves between the main cabin and ubderfloor areas which caused the cabin floor to collapse severing controls to the tail and rear engine.

Neu, that looks like it is outside the pressure hull, my interpretation is that they have somehow put a cutout into the lower fuselage. The bay doors do not appear to latch along the centreline so I would doubt they had sufficient integrity to be part of the pressurised fuselage.

Peter

• Like 1

Whilst it's good to see a MPA coming back,I must confess to being totally underwhelmed by this machine despite being pleased they are planned for Lossie.

Yes I know Nimrod's father was an airliner but every time I see a P-8,I think of the spoof of a few years ago about the contract going to Ryanair! It's a 737!

Richard

Awaiting incoming.

Yup!

Trevor, the baggage bays are inside the pressure hull, that is why the turkish DC-10 crashed at Paris when the baggage door came open - iirc there weren't any effective pressure relief valves between the main cabin and ubderfloor areas which caused the cabin floor to collapse severing controls to the tail and rear engine.

Neu, that looks like it is outside the pressure hull, my interpretation is that they have somehow put a cutout into the lower fuselage. The bay doors do not appear to latch along the centreline so I would doubt they had sufficient integrity to be part of the pressurised fuselage.

Peter

Oh sorry, I mistook what you said. Its almost certainly outside the pressure hull.