UK to buy 9 P-8 Poseidon Patrol Aircraft.

Julien

Looks like 42 Sqn may be the preferred unit to fly the P-8 but what about one of the 200 series,.......the ex RNAS units are supposed to be just as senior as the ex RFC units yet they are often overlooked.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

They should resurrect one of the ex Nimrod squadron numbers.....keep it in the family....nice to see they maybe based at Lossie, better than trying to squeeze them in at Waddington. ......

cheers

Dave

Edited by DaveH

I doubt they will fit a refuelling probe initially, I suspect these may be US stock and may be like our Globemaster III and Airseekers and remain with the standard US spec to begin with.

I think under this SDSR it will be about re-establishing the capability, post 2020 they may look to expand the fleet and probably incorporate additional roles at which point they may look into a refuelling probe to complement the receptacle alternately we may post 2020 look to buy out Air Tanker and take over our Voyagers to add the boom capability.

Getting back to reality - what is the in-service date for the Poseidons ?? - 2020?, 2025?

In the meantine - we have to go cap-in-hand to the French to help out with their Atlantiques for MPA.

Another fine mess they (the various governments) have got us into....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

We seem to be waking up at last! I wonder if they will stick to the Posiedon name for UK use (I like it) or give it another name as we tend to do

ie US- Operation merciless retribution UK -Operation jolly good telling off! Please tell me there are no more extinct flightless sea birds we havn't named an aircraft after.

Edited by stevej60

Getting back to reality - what is the in-service date for the Poseidons ?? - 2020?, 2025?

In the meantine - we have to go cap-in-hand to the French to help out with their Atlantiques for MPA.

Another fine mess they (the various governments) have got us into....

Ken

I suspect by 2020 they will have some in service over here, I have a feeling they have already agreed something with the USN and Boeing to get the initial aircraft ASAP, but then fit in with the USN, RAAF and Indian deliveries for the bulk of the order. They may even have an agreement to bring USN P-8s over here to get the ball rolling and cover the gap.

However despite it being announced in the SDSR today we may have to wait until the contract is agreed to get the details in the deal of when we get them, who will use them and where they will be based.

With the UK Government planning to announce the purchase of a Squadron of nine P-8 Poseidon's who do you think will be the first to release 1/144 and 1/72 scale kits (apart from OzMods & Welsh Models) ?

XVTonker

Edited by xvtonker

I notice Welsh Models are sold out of the P-8. Maybe, even as we speak, Densil is ordering new decals and a fresh production run!

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/MT72.html

The original MT-06 kits sold out but it was replaced by the MT-09 kit which is in stock

The offending poster has been sent to his room to think about what he's done, and I think we can re-open it again without fear or someone else putting their foot in it. :fight:

• Like 1

Nah,.....paint it grey and white with a blue cheatline, low viz tiny roundels and HUGE `Royal Air Force' titles on the side of the fuselage just like the RC-135!!! What a blinkin awful scheme that was/is eh!

Low viz grey with low viz two toned grey tactical roundels no doubt,.....as per the F-35?

Imagine if it was painted in the same scheme as the new Wildcat!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot