UK to buy 9 P-8 Poseidon Patrol Aircraft.

Julien

If I hear some rumours correctly we are purchasing these from the US Navy, not Boeing. That, plus the design changes to the basic 737 airframe, should make the UK Airworthiness case interesting....

Peter

That's the case for almost everything you buy from the US. Its called the Foreign Military Sales process. There is no difference in what you receive from the Boeing, but you get a lot of valuable stuff with it from the US Government.

If you want to understand the benefits of FMS over "direct commercial military sales" there is a recent study in Canada that discusses that:

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol15/no4/PDF/CMJ154Ep30.pdf

I always thought the Nimrod would make a great airliner. Look at all that baggage space.

On Nimrod the Nos 5 and 6 fuel tanks occupied the original Comet baggage holds. The bomb bay (while the longest of any aircraft ever built) wasn't really that deep. ;)

The bomb bay (while the longest of any aircraft ever built) wasn't really that deep. ;)

I remember going to Mildenhall in the 80's and the heavens opened. Everyone surged past the flimsy rope barrier and stood under a Nimrod bomb bay. It was deep enough for me to stand up.

In the next cloud burst I mobbed a US Army Chinook and noticing that wedged in the netting was a £1.99 broom!

Trevor

I'm 5'9"! Maybe I stooped a bit (it was three decades ago :( )but I I don't recall being bent double. I 'think' I may even have taken a photo. Probably can't find it though!)

Trevor who suddenly feels old.....

I suspect we may have to wait a for the details, the SDSR is the strategic plan, the MOD have obviously held talks with the US,USN, Boeing about the Poseidon availability, features and price. Now its been agreed in policy they now have to agree the contract and that's when we'll get the real details of how many, when and maybe who will operate them. The interesting one to watch for is if any options are offered for additional airfames as part of the contract as those would not likely expire until at least after the next scheduled SDSR.

I wonder if the USN have enough aircraft to be able to lend the RAF 2/3 for a year or two to use the RAF crews that have been flying with them whilst begining to train others.

As the RAF must reduce the USN tasking even if only marginally it must be in everybodies interest. Lets hope sensible heads prevail.

Nigel

One would imagine USN could even base training aircraft/crews over here with them, affording us cover at the same time.

Win-win: the Russian navy has obligingly provided targets for them free of charge.

Edited by Seahawk

You must be very short then Max.

I am 5'7" and there is no way I could stand upright in the Nimrod bomb bay (and I would warrant I have spent a fair more time in there than you have). ;)

What is this bomb bay you talk of on the Nimrod. Ours did not have one.