Scratch Built Flying Scotsman

albergman

On 12/05/2023 at 17:13, Noel Smith said:

I am surprised that no plastic  kit manufacturer has ever made a large static kit of the Flying Scotsman being the most famous steam locomotive in the world.

Agreed!

1/35 scale which would be big and spectacular but, being static, would not need a layout.

4 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

That's a thought Frank. There are a number of very good 3D CAD programs available on which the Scotsman could be drawn up to produce a static model.

The large scale model railway fraternity has sort of traditionally built engineered working models in metal. There are kits in  O gauge that have mostly metal parts and very expensive. But nobody seems to have looked at large scale static within the plastic kit industry for example. I am sure that Airfix (part of Hornby) could do well with a static kit of the Scotsman in 1/32nd of 1/24th scale. After all, it is the world's most famous  steam locomotive apart from the Mallard.

I don't know if you're aware but once a model is drawn up in Fusion it can then be scaled for printing at any size  .   I wonder how much interest there would be in static models?   Even having a static HO to sit in a siding on a layout would be nice.   Nick is is one of the people who come to mind for this kind of thing.   

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Agreed!

1/35 scale which would be big and spectacular but, being static, would not need a layout.

Don't know why I didn't think of it before but some of you may know I drew up a Gresley P2 and 3D-printed it a couple of years ago. 

http://52110818681_bb8cfbe7b5_b.jpg

I still have all the drawings and a lot of them apply directly to the Scotsman since it's a Gresley design too.   A while back, on that P2 site, I offered my drawings to anyone interested in printing their own P2 and the aforementioned Nick took me up on it but he's a busy lad.   I'd suggest anyone interested in printing an A3/2/1 should look at my drawings there (I have lots more if needed and think about it as a starting point.   Fusion isn't all that hard to  learn (I did it as an 80 y.o.) and it's a lot of fun.   Much of the loco could be scratch built ... boiler, frames if necessary.   Just a thought.

Frank

Thanks Frank, that’s a great offer but I’ll pass at this point. I think there’s another steam locomotive in my foreseeable future but neither of these two. There’s something here in Australia that’s caught my eye. 

Frank, was the aforementioned Nick you mentioned the chap in North Wales who is doing 3D stuff for the Bentley and Bugatti kits?

He uses Fusion, so that is what made me ask. I think that in Fusion you can create STL files that can be imported into other 3D programs too.

I have a program I just downloaded named DesignSpark Mechanical. It is a free to use program from RS Components and looks quite good. Have to learn how to use it, so should be fun!

1 minute ago, Noel Smith said:

Frank, was the aforementioned Nick you mentioned the chap in North Wales who is doing 3D stuff for the Bentley and Bugatti kits?

He uses Fusion, so that is what made me ask. I think that in Fusion you can create STL files that can be imported into other 3D programs too.

I have a program I just downloaded named DesignSpark Mechanical. It is a free to use program from RS Components and looks quite good. Have to learn how to use it, so should be fun!

Yes Noel, that's the same Nick.  He was very helpful nudging me into Fusion 360 and I wouldn't have  got into it without his help.   And yes, Fusion can produce STL files (among many others).   I gave Nick access to my Fusion account so he could get the working files for my P2 loco as he'll probably want to  improve on them.