Scratch Built Flying Scotsman

albergman

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Nice Scotsman - based on the way she is with the National Railway Museum today?  BR era smoke deflectors but LNER 4472 green.  She is an icon & that's a very nice model

Thanks BarSide.   I guess she is pretty much as the Museum has her.    I didn't really give a lot of thought to what exact era I wanted to represent.   In my day (late 40's to '51 when we emigrated to Canada)  I used to see lots of A3's in Scotland with these smoke deflectors and I like the look of them.   I've followed endless discussions on railway sites about what colour and what era FS should have been restored to and there's really no correct answer.   I'm 78 now and I just wanted an A3 model that gives me great pleasure to look at and that's what she is.

Thanks for the comment though.

Frank

I grew up with Hornby apple green A3s - steam had gone before my time, but I live on the Great Eastern route.  This meant Gresley-ised B12s, B17s, Claud Hamiltons and the like in all of the older photos, so large green & round top boilers work for me.  I guess my ideal loco was seeing Oliver Cromwell at Bressingham as a kid and then back on the mainline in 2008.  The Britannias were the only pacific we had in this part of the world.  I do need to get to see Scotsman one day though.  And as for Scotland, my wife's family are in Edinburgh and my sister is in Aberdeen, so I have been for a look around at Haymarket & Ferryhill to see what is left.

I grew up in Dunfermline, just across the Firth of Forth from Edinburgh so I never saw anything but LNER locos.   That has left me totally uninterested in any of the other lines.   Cromwell is a fine looking engine no doubt but A3's and A4's are the only ones that matter to me :lol:

I've been following the running of FS all summer on YouTube.   Seems Ian Riley really understoood what was needed and has done a fine job in getting her back on the rails.  It's almost enough of a draw to come back over just to see it one more time.

Frank

• Like 1

On 2016-11-07 at 4:33 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Wow what a beautiful build, simply superb, I wish I had your scratch building skills, looks absolutely amazing.

Thanks Chris.    Very kind.   I wish I had your skills in weathering after looking at City of Truro!    I'd love to try weathering some of my stuff but painting is a bit of a black art to me and I'm afraid of ruining a model.   I'd encourage you to try making a few bits to get a feel for scratch building.   I only took up this hobby after I retired and my previous life (computers) had nothing to build on.

Just took a few pics of my Scotsman yesterday and it keeps reminding me I've GOT to find time to finish it up.   The paint around the front is definitely looking a bit tatty and nicked and I've still got a little box of parts to be added on.   Right now I'm consumed with scratch building the Lancia D50 though.

20161111_103249-01

I wanted to make it look like the engine is in a siding as a stand-by and I made the buffers from some weathered (not by me) wood.   Found some appropriately shaped aluminum scraps that look (to me) like strong braces for the woodwork.   "Bolted" in place with straight pins.

20161111_103336-01

I see the long "bolt" that hinges the boiler door has gone amiss too!  Missing a buffer and 2 lanterns.

20161111_103609-01

Frank

Edited by albergman
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2016 at 11:15 PM, albergman said:

I grew up in Dunfermline, just across the Firth of Forth from Edinburgh so I never saw anything but LNER locos.   That has left me totally uninterested in any of the other lines.   Cromwell is a fine looking engine no doubt but A3's and A4's are the only ones that matter to me :lol:

I've been following the running of FS all summer on YouTube.   Seems Ian Riley really understoood what was needed and has done a fine job in getting her back on the rails.  It's almost enough of a draw to come back over just to see it one more time.

Frank

Great model work, those smoke deflector A3s looked the best. When I saw them, they were so mucky they could have been painted any colour. I went to Dunfermline High, where the main line ran beside the sports fields so watched the WDs on the coal trains as well as the expresses before the Glenfarg line was closed.

26 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Great model work, those smoke deflector A3s looked the best. When I saw them, they were so mucky they could have been painted any colour. I went to Dunfermline High, where the main line ran beside the sports fields so watched the WDs on the coal trains as well as the expresses before the Glenfarg line was closed.

Glad you like my efforts Teuchter.   I too went to DHS till '51 (and the "wee" school and the "big" school next to Alexander's Bus depot.) and recall the sports field and an abandoned building called the Pavillion (Pavvy) on the school grounds.   I lived on the top floor (of 3) of a tenement on St. Leonards street from where we could see that railway line ... still remember the excitement every time I'd hear an A4 chime whistle.    Sadly those homes are all gone and just a green space remains but amazingly the old Rex park is still there just as it was in my day!

Frank

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

Wow!  Thats all, just Wow!

Thanks!   That's all, just Thanks!!

Sorry, but I liked your enthusiasm and seriously, I appreciate it.     It's been a long time in it's gestation ... going on 11 years now and I really should finish it one day.   It's encouragement like this that gets me thinking about it ...

Cheers

Frank

• 2 months later...

Always a pleasure to see the end result of a master-craftsman's work. Stunning model – something of which you should be proud. If there are any rivet-counters taking issue with it – floggings too good for them! :shoot:

Thanks BB73 and Gorbygould.   Appreciate you interest.   "Master craftsman"???   I think not but very kind of you.   Just an old duffer making models from his long gone, misspent youth.

Frank

Other scratch builds ...

Lancia D50    Sport Fisherman 36   Half-Hull yachts    Beneteau 51 sailboat    Varnished wooden cars    Triumph TR-6    Lola T-70    Billings Dragon

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Only just seen this. 40+ years ago at the age of 14 my late father took me and a friend to York to see the National Railway Museum, when we went into the yard we could see smoke rising from up the lines. We walked out of the museum into an industrial estate and there stood 4472 Flying Scotsman steaming gently while waiting to pull a return train. We stood leaning on the fence simply watching it and feeling the heat coming off it. It says a lot that two teenage boys simply stood and watched it fascinated for best part of an hour, although I did harbour dreams of the driver asking us to step over the fence and go on the footplate! My father never let me forget that as he’d got two boys to look after he hadn’t taken his camera so couldn’t record the fact - oh for digital cameras, mobile phones.....

47 minutes ago, GordonM said:

Only just seen this. 40+ years ago at the age of 14 my late father took me and a friend to York to see the National Railway Museum, when we went into the yard we could see smoke rising from up the lines. We walked out of the museum into an industrial estate and there stood 4472 Flying Scotsman steaming gently while waiting to pull a return train. We stood leaning on the fence simply watching it and feeling the heat coming off it. It says a lot that two teenage boys simply stood and watched it fascinated for best part of an hour, although I did harbour dreams of the driver asking us to step over the fence and go on the footplate! My father never let me forget that as he’d got two boys to look after he hadn’t taken his camera so couldn’t record the fact - oh for digital cameras, mobile phones.....

Thanks Gordon.   Appreciate your comment and glad you had a chance to see 4472 as a working machine.   Of course,  mainline steam was gone by the time you saw it so this would be something special to see an A3 "in heat"!

At 14 I was living in Scotland seeing A3's daily and travelling behind them frequently but for me they never lost their appeal.  There was something really magnificent about them and their A4 brothers.   I just had to attempt a model of this, the most famous of the A3's.    So glad you like it.

Frank

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

No idea how I missed this! What an amazing piece of work. I recall as a kid  in the early 70s, being a passenger on a train headed by Flying Scotsman - on the old Dart Valley Railway if I recall correctly. Thank God for preserved railways, otherwise I wouldn't have had the chance! What a machine she was too!

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

No idea how I missed this! What an amazing piece of work. I recall as a kid  in the early 70s, being a passenger on a train headed by Flying Scotsman - on the old Dart Valley Railway if I recall correctly. Thank God for preserved railways, otherwise I wouldn't have had the chance! What a machine she was too!

Thanks Clive.   Appreciate your comment.   If you read the text you'll know that I grew up in Scotland and left as a teenager in '51.   Most of our travel was done by steam and buses and I logged many an A1,2 3 and A4's in my Ian Allan spotter guide.   An everyday event back then.

Frank

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I just stumbled across this while searching for scratch built models and I am so glad I did. It is a glorious model. I will have a read through the accompanying essay tomorrow and and have a look through your other builds. I'm just going to have another look through photos before switching the computer off and retiring to my bed. What a wonderful gift you have!

Richie

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:29 PM, RichieW said:

I just stumbled across this while searching for scratch built models and I am so glad I did. It is a glorious model. I will have a read through the accompanying essay tomorrow and and have a look through your other builds. I'm just going to have another look through photos before switching the computer off and retiring to my bed. What a wonderful gift you have!

Richie

Thanks for the kind words Richie.   And I see you've dropped some "likes" on some of my other projects.   I don't know if steam engines are your particular interest but if so I also have a scratch build (is there another way?) of the A4 Union of South Africa and a never-was P2 class.

• Like 1

I love steam engines but mostly scratch build WW1 biplanes. I had a lovely visit to the York railway museum a few years ago and marvelled at the craftsmanship of those engineers and craftsmen from a bygone era. I will definitely follow your P2 class build too. 

Kind regards

Richie

• 4 months later...

I saw the Scotsman come through Arlesey in Bedfordshire a year or two before covid doing an enthusiast run from Kings Cross to York.

Very impressive loco.

When I was an engineering apprentice back in the 60's the technical college took a group of us lads to the Swindon Rail Works that was still operating. We saw the Evening Star there just as it was completed. A memorable outing!

I am surprised that no plastic  kit manufacturer has ever made a large static kit of the Flying Scotsman being the most famous steam locomotive in the world.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

I saw the Scotsman come through Arlesey in Bedfordshire a year or two before covid doing an enthusiast run from Kings Cross to York.

Very impressive loco.

When I was an engineering apprentice back in the 60's the technical college took a group of us lads to the Swindon Rail Works that was still operating. We saw the Evening Star there just as it was completed. A memorable outing!

I am surprised that no plastic  kit manufacturer has ever made a large static kit of the Flying Scotsman being the most famous steam locomotive in the world.

5 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Very impressive loco.

I keep hoping...

18 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Maybe if you asked some of the experts in BM they'd draw one up in Fusion and 3D print it ... in any scale.   Since I made my own model someone has had access to the real engine (I think) and has produced a series of images in amazing detail that would make it a breeze to draw all the parts in Fusion.   I had to draw all my own plans from photos and I wish something like this had been available 15 years ago.

Frank

That's a thought Frank. There are a number of very good 3D CAD programs available on which the Scotsman could be drawn up to produce a static model.

The large scale model railway fraternity has sort of traditionally built engineered working models in metal. There are kits in  O gauge that have mostly metal parts and very expensive. But nobody seems to have looked at large scale static within the plastic kit industry for example. I am sure that Airfix (part of Hornby) could do well with a static kit of the Scotsman in 1/32nd of 1/24th scale. After all, it is the world's most famous  steam locomotive apart from the Mallard.

• Like 1