Scratch Built Flying Scotsman

albergman

Hi all

Here are a couple of pictures of my static display model of 4472. This is not built to any known scale but IS built to scale ... actually 22" buffer to buffer.

I grew up in Scotland in the 50's and used to see many Gresley Pacifics pass my house and they left an abiding love for their clean design and beautiful lines ... not to forget the beautiful sound of their exhaust and that Gresley "knock".

I've been labouring over this model off and on for 10 years and it started out being entirely fabricated from Renshape but over the years as my skills got better I started replacing much of it with brass and aluminium, To be honest, every part of it except the boiler has been fabricated twice and sometimes 3 times!!

So, before any rivet counters get their magnifying glasses out I would appreciate not having to hear that there are obvious mistakes etc. I am now 77 and this is just a project I did for myself as a nice display model ... not to win any contests.

Every piece of the engine has been hand made. All the motion (third times a treat!) is hacksawed from aluminium scrap and hand shaped with files. The main drive wheels have metal rims and cast spokes ... yes, I made a master and cast the six. Likewise all the bogie and tender wheels. Decals were all made by me.

The model is just being test fitted to its display bed here and several pieces are missing ... one smoke deflector, one lantern, one buffer and one set of bogie wheels. The cab and tender still have some work to be done,

Anyway, here it is and I hope you like it for what it is ... a handmade locomotive display model ... just for me!

Thanks

Frank Smart

PS Lots of pictures of the build if anyone wants to see how some of it was done.

23222253105_288d815675_b.jpg

23222213155_1e39787ab4_b.jpg

• Like 38

No criticisms from this Kiwi. I don't know a lot about steam locos, not as much as I'd like but I do know when I'm looking at a triumph of craftsmanship. That is quite superb & something to be incredibly proud of.

Steve.

Thank you Steve. And, yes, I am very proud of it. To me it's one of these things that brings back youthful memories of the good old days.

• Like 2

That's another stunning model Frank, just gorgeous! I really admire (& envy!) your scratchbuilding skills -most excellent work!

If you have the time, I'd certainly like to see some in progress photo's of this beauty! And hopefully some finished ones too!

Thank you for posting these

Keith

Seeing stuff like this always makes me think about just what exactly it is I'm trying to accomplish in the world of model making...... Put another way, I'm playing for my local boozer on a Sunday and this man is Messi!!

Truly inspirational Frank!

Now let's see some more snaps.

That's a beautiful piece of model "engineering" Frank a bit of a dying art so great to see such a quality example,I had not realised until researching

my family history how many members were railwaymen in the steam era all based at Gateshead.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely lovely! Steam engines, just special. My recollections of steam are from my childhood in Ohio, and those big black Hudsons on the B&O... not far back in my family tree were men who built locos in Swindon

Hi Frank,

my modelling genre is for DHC-2 Beavers, not these steamy things, but I must admit that yours is a work of art!

With a bit of luck, I'll see the 1/1 scale beast this coming weekend.

I used to be a big fan of beavers myself in my youth ;) Seriously though, I presume you are talking aircraft here. Love to see what you do with them.

As for seeing the real steamer this weekend I'm truly jealous. Take in a lungful of steam for me!! I've been poring over the many YouTube videos taken during her trials on the East Lancs railway and it's just lovely to see her back again. I grew up in Scotland in the 40's and 50's and saw and travelled on so many of these great machines.

Thanks for the complement.

Frank

• Like 2

Absolutely lovely! Steam engines, just special. My recollections of steam are from my childhood in Ohio, and those big black Hudsons on the B&O... not far back in my family tree were men who built locos in Swindon

Thanks Seadog. I was hoping to get my model finished to coincide with the reappearance of the real thing last week but, as so often happens, I get sidetracked and start working on something else. I now live in Canada (emigrated in '51) and I know the engines you speak of. I guess there's something about those formative years, for me anyway, but I've only ever been passionate about the British steam I grew up with.

Now, the Big Boy that's being rebuilt right now by Union Pacific might just pique my interest enough to go and see that!!

Swindon ... I was there last June on a tour of England and Norway. Lovely country.

Frank

Bloody wonderful, a true masterpiece and labour of love. The idea of casting wheels in metal is top level modelling and what a subject matter, there are not many trains so iconic as 4472.

Thanks very much H/C. Just wanted to clarify something for which you credit me. I just re-read what I wrote and I can see how you could get the idea I cast the wheels in metal. I DID turn metal rims for the wheels but I cast the spokes in urethane. At one time I had cast the entire wheel in urethane ...

22601310133_380c08b0a3.jpg

but I decided later on I wanted an aluminium rim ( the originals couldn't support the growing weight of the engine as I switched to more brass) so I turned six and set it into my silicon mould then poured urethane into the mould to bond with the rim. Worked a charm.

22601539623_2d166c261f.jpg

If you are interested in the build of the loco I did submit a short essay and pictures at http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234992509-building-flying-scotsman/

Cheers and thanks again for the complement,

Frank

A friend and I were discussing the Big Boy the other day. there's some great footage on Youtube. As there is (on the BBC website) of 'Bittern' which was allowed a 90mph run on mainline track the other day. Gorgeous.

Hello,Frank - What a magnificent piece of work!! I love the quality and detail of the whole build.You are the proud builder of a truly bespoke and resplendent tribute to the iconic 'Flying Scotsman' locomotive.Sir Nigel Gresley would certainly admire your work as well!!All the best,Paul.

Hello,Frank - What a magnificent piece of work!! I love the quality and detail of the whole build.You are the proud builder of a truly bespoke and resplendent tribute to the iconic 'Flying Scotsman' locomotive.Sir Nigel Gresley would certainly admire your work as well!!All the best,Paul.

Thanks very much Paul and all the others who have "liked" my model. I don't know that I'd be holding it up for Sir Nigel though.

It has been a long road, almost 10 years, working off and on with this true labour of love. I started it a couple of years after I took up scratch building ... much too soon really. I wasn't prepared skill-wise to attempt such a complex piece but luckily I didn't realise that!! I had some official plans for it from somewhere and I thought that's all I needed. Ignorance is bliss they say.

All of the stuff above the frames is pretty straightforward, even the tender. But I didn't know a thing about steam engines other than I liked them and that came painfully clear when I had to assemble the drive mechanisms for the first time. All those rods and levers operate in different planes as you move from the outside in. Only after capturing and studying hundreds of pictures and video clips did I start to get an understanding of what I was supposed to be doing. It's embarrassing really when I realised how ignorant I was of the subject.

Anyway, I think I have most of the bits in the right places and reasonably correct. Not about to show it again on serious railway forums as it wasn't well received earlier. Something about rivets.

Nice to have it appreciated here for what it is ... a hobby project.

Frank

• Like 1

Superb build. I'm no train expert or modeller but I do like a good looking steam locomotive. (my first train ride was a steam one. Must have been one of the last ones going) And to see the Flying Scotsman rolled the other day.

I remember as a nipper in the York museum and being allowed to climb up on them just the sheer size of these beasts.

Thank you bhouse.

Darby ... I remember as a nipper in the York museum and being allowed to climb up on them just the sheer size of these beasts.

Thanks too Darby. I too had a moment like yours but in the real world. June 15, 1951 our family took the train to Edinburgh to board the night Scotsman. Dad took me down the platform to see which engine was on the train (Papyrus or Blink Bonny ... starting to forget) and to record its number in my Ian Allan trainspotter book. The driver helped me up into the cabin and I remember the awe of the heat and that roaring fire. Magic stuff for a wee lad. This model helps me remember those lovely Pacifics.

• Like 2

That fire must have been like the gates of hell to a wee lad. I used to get a bit twitched about putting too much coal on the fire when I lived up north.

I don't know which one it was in York when I was there but it was a huge black painted monster. To be honest it looked a bit scary at the time. Goodness knows what that was like at full pelt.

Have you got any other builds on the go?

That fire must have been like the gates of hell to a wee lad. I used to get a bit twitched about putting too much coal on the fire when I lived up north.

I don't know which one it was in York when I was there but it was a huge black painted monster. To be honest it looked a bit scary at the time. Goodness knows what that was like at full pelt.

Have you got any other builds on the go?

Me again

Yes, I just happen to have one that I'm doing my first build guide on. It's a half-hull of a friends sailboat.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995195-scratch-build-of-beneteau-51-idylle-sailboat-half-hull/

I'm pretty new to BM but I have submitted a few of my builds ... finished and NOT. I only scratch build so hope that doesn't put you off.

I have done a few kits way way back but took up scratch after I retired and love it.

Please point me to some of your builds in return.

BTW I've been in Canada since 1951.

Frank

http://www.britmodel...flying-scotsman

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234992509-building-flying-scotsman/

http://www.britmodel...ilt-triumph-tr6

http://www.britmodel...tsy-wooden-cars

http://www.britmodel...uilt-half-hulls

http://www.britmodel...rt-fishing-boat

http://www.britmodel...build-lola-t70/

http://www.britmodel...agon-tarted-up/

• 9 months later...