Smer 1/72 Fairey Fulmar, 806 Sqn FAA

Mitch K

I'd got a long way with this. The original build thread can be found here, in the WIP area:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983731-fairey-fulmar-806-sqn-faa-smer-172/

At this point, Tony O'Toole pointed out the numerous mistakes I'd made in the colour and finish. Tony very kindly provided me excellent information, including pictures and photos from his personal collection, so I can get this right.

Here's what I'd got to when she stalled:

fulmar19_zpsnkgvguqj.jpgfulmar20_zps0lmoerwr.jpg

The 806 examples of the time were painted in Sky Grey with a high-level demarkation line between them. The undersides of the wings were black and white for rapid identification. The first stage in getting this going again was to sand off most of the existing markings and smooth out the existing demarkation.

fulmar21_zpsbnv2hwlb.jpgfulmar22_zpsl4rsp8l6.jpg

Once I've dusted off the surfaces, I'll mask up and hit her with some Skey Grey.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the paintwork largely completed, bar some dots and dabs here and there. The underside in Sky Grey, black and white looks pretty striking, I think. I re-did the wheel wells with silver at the same time.

fulmar24_zpshtnoilbf.jpg

The sides in Sky Grey, and the fuselage retouched where the roundels and coses were removed. The upper wing roundels will just be covered over with new ones.

fulmar25_zpsj7zbxwze.jpg

I've added new fuselage and wing roundels from Xtracolour. The fin flash is double width and I'll patch it together from strips from the same sheets - I've made a start, as you can see.

fulmar26_zpswyx0bllx.jpg

The codes, serials and Royal Navy logos are being printed and will be good to go in a day or so.

• Like 1

Arnie,

If you're going to follow my tip, be a bit careful with how far you turn the screw in. You can split the fuselage seams rather easily.

Guess how I know... :weep:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Progress has been interrupted by Christmas, New Year, New Job and a new computer I can't get to grips with photo software on.

Construction and painting is essentally complete, except for some tidying up and tiny details. After the decals and another coat of Kleer, I dirtied her up with some oil washes.

fulmar27_zpsu9nxbofy.jpg

Now, it is a truth we hold to be self-evident that Jack likes everything clean, tiddly and Bristol-ish. However, Malta is perpetually dusty and dirty and at that time was at the very end of extremely precarious supply line. There was barely sufficient water to drink, and nowhere near enough for sanitation, leading to serious health issues for the population and garrison. Hence, water was most certainly not available for washing aeroplanes and Jack had to drip a bit and lump it! Hence the grubby look.

fulmar28_zpsjjilqyur.jpg

A bit of to and fro the the canopy, some aerials and painting in lights, and she'll be done!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here she is, done. This aircraft from 806 Sqn FAA was deployed to HMS Illustrious in the Mediterrenean, and was there when Illustrious suffered her near-catastrophic dive bombing attack. Sub-lieutenant Stanley Orr was aloft in N1887 at the time. Orr and others had taken off to fend off an Italian air attack, but this turned out to be a feint, drawing the fighter cover away and leaving Illustrious open to the ravages of several groups of Stukas. Orr came back, low on fuel and ammunition and attempted to disrupt the attack before heading for Malta.

Orr flew N1887 from Malta, scoring a kill against a Ju88 in her. This was some feat, as the Fulmar had no speed advantage at all over the bomber. Orr scored six kills on Malta, a fair proportion of the total of seventeen that made him the Royal Navy's leading ace.

fulmar29_zps7g1asif1.jpg

fulmar30_zps37nldpyn.jpg

fulmar31_zpsanoryhce.jpg

fulmar32_zpsaqgwoafh.jpg

fulmar33_zps2yqopvo4.jpg

fulmar34_zpssdsjdl79.jpg

fulmar35_zps5jxsm3ix.jpg

fulmar36_zpshkbxudb1.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Nice finish.

I just picked this kit up today (the SMER boxing) and now have to decide on color scheme.

If Tony is still watching I would be interested in your photos/info. Also ordered the Fleet Air Arm book mentioned by him in the previous thread.

• Like 1