Pebbly finish on Xtracylic gloss varnish

Edge

Hi All

I'm looking for some advice on spraying Xtracrylix gloss. I'm using an Iwata airbrush with a 0.3 set up at around 15psi. I mixed the gloss with about 50% Xtracrylix thinner mixed in the cup. The gloss seemed to go on well enough but has has a rough, pebbly finish.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong & also what can I do to repair the mess I've made?

Thanks

For the future: could be that you need to experiment adding some acrylic retarder and/or flow improver. It sounds like you have droplets drying on impact.

http://www.winsornewton.com/uk/shop/oils-solvents-mediums-and-varnishes/acrylic-colour/mediums/galeria-fluid-retarder-8-45-us-fl-oz-250ml-pot-3040818

http://www.winsornewton.com/uk/shop/oils-solvents-mediums-and-varnishes/acrylic-colour/mediums/galeria-flow-improver-8-45-us-fl-oz-250ml-pot-3040819

For rectification: wet-sand with 2000 or finer wet & dry, and if there's a thick paint film remaining then polish with something like Farecla G3 or another decent quality automotive fine cutting / polishing compound. If when you've wet-sanded it level the remaining paint film is too thin, or you've gone through the paint then just repaint. (once you've got your retarded paint mix correct) .

I suggest you try out 5-10 psi. At least try on some scrap model, and don't get too close with the airbrush, and let enough paint flow.

I am a novice, but when airbrushing Humbrol Clear, I had a revelation, as I airbrushed the stuff wet-in-wet with lower than 10 psi, and it looks nice, not at all the rough look that I got when airbrushing with 20+ psi.

My impression is that, low psi is great for a gloss coat, assuming that the paint is diluted enough. With Humbrol Clear I did not have to dilute it, it sprayed fine for me.

Presumably, airbrushing wet-in-wet is required to get a smooth finish, but I am no expert.

Edited by Housesparrow