Kate Kwestions

Seahawk

Some queries over the Airfix Kate boxings:

a. Nice of Airfix to give us a choice of 5 offensive loads but which stores are appropriate to each markings option? I take it from the painting instructions that B1-310 in the Midway dog-fight double is a torpedo carrier but are there documented loadings for E1-311 at Pearl Harbour and 53-305 in 1944?

b. I see the kit provides 2 sets of tails for the torpedoes. Both sets of instructions use parts C22 and C23. What is the other tail (parts C24 and C25) for?

c. Should I assume lap straps only for Pearl Harbour/Midway era aircraft but 3-point harnesses (2 x lap plus left shoulder) for all 3 seats by 1944?

Edited to replace Midway with Pearl Harbour for E1-311 query.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

Nick Millman covered the Pearl Harbor load out question HERE, which is where I got my info for my comment in Stew's build thread from (forgot to reply there, sorry! :blush: ).

The Airfix kit only has one 250kg weapon, but it does have two bomb racks. If you have two kits then that gives you enough to do E1-311 accurately.

As for the late war option, I'm not sure. IIRC it was an aircraft based in the Kuriles, so I guess some form of anti-submarine load out would be feasible? :hmmm:

Mike.

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 1

Posted the PH information on Shokaku's E1-311 here in June. Post # 30:-

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984057-kate-artwork-up-on-airfixcom/page-2

Don't know about Midway without checking.
Parts 14 and 15 in the Airfix kit are for the Type 99 No.80 Mk 5 800 kg AP bomb.
I think that parts 27 and 28 are for a Type 3 No.150 Mk 5 of 1944 - 1,489.6 kg - but I'm not sure about that as it was considered to be an experimental type! Type 80 800 kg land bomb.
53-305 was one of only four Kates in the 553rd Kokutai at Kataoka on Shumusu in the Kuriles active against Soviet forces attacking the island at the end of the war. The unit flew against both land and shipping targets.

Nick

PS Writing this as MikeR was posting.

• Like 2

Many thanks for prompt and authoritative answers so far. Re E1-311, I actually meant Pearl Harbour (post corrected) but I'm sure we'd be delighted to learn Midway warload as well if it's not too much trouble.

Has anyone any thoughts on seat-belts?

53-305 was one of only four Kates in the 553rd Kokutai at Kataoka on Shumusu in the Kuriles active against Soviet forces attacking the island at the end of the war. The unit flew against both land and shipping targets.

Nick

PS Writing this as MikeR was posting.

Hey Nick

Are there any photographs of the 553rd, or any of the Kates involved in the defence in the North?

After inspecting and dimensionally checking the kit parts the large bomb (parts 27 & 28) matches the appearance of the Type 80 800 kg land bomb. That was the largest IJN bomb in operational use. Post # 4 and link corrected.

Parts 22 and 23 are supposed to be for the tail of the Type 91 Model 2 aerial torpedo as used at Pearl Harbor but are simplified with the four main fins of the Model 1 instead of showing the additional four diagonal 'mini fins' of the Model 2. Not sure about parts # 24 and # 25 which look a bit like the 'mini-fins' of the Model 2 but appear to have no propeller. It's almost as though all four parts were intended to make up the tail assembly for the Model 2 but something has gone wrong in the kit design stage.

Nick