1/144 Zvezda Airbus A321 - Thomas Cook

Timo

This is Zvezda's latest "ultimate kit" which was released earlier this year. It includes extra details such as options for open cabin doors, extended flaps/slats and even extended undercarriage oleos to represent a final approach mode.

I've built this version in Thomas Cook's new "sunny heart" colour scheme with just flaps/slats extended into the landing position. Some say that this new livery is drab compared with Thomas Cook's previous two-tone blue scheme, but I think its actually quite striking.

A321%20TCOOK_1.jpg

A321%20TCOOK_4.jpg

The kit goes together really well and was a delight to build, although some care is needed in assembling the extended flaps - the kit instructions need a bit of interpretation. Also the kit doesn't come with wingtip sharklets which are now fitted to most new A320 family aircraft, so these are add-ons from Braz which were easy to fit.

The Thomas Cook decals are home made with the detail decals (windows, doors, etc) from Daco. Paints used for the Thomas Cook colours are Yellow Revell 310, Dark Grey Revell 378 and Mid Grey Humbrol 128.

A321%20TCOOK_2.jpg

A321%20TCOOK_3.jpg

I think that Zvezda are definitely setting the standard for airliner models. Their next release will be a Boeing 777-300ER - bring it on!

Thanks for looking.

Tim

• Like 24

Superb Tim! Love this one. :wow:

I've made plenty of Revell 321s over the years but never the Zvezda one, I really like the inclusion of flaps and slats I think it adds so much more to a model. I also like the look of an Airbus with winglets.

Like Chris I wasn't a fan of this scheme but it's starting to grow on me too.

Could you tell us about your decal making process? I also don't have much success with the printing side of things, maybe I've just got a crap printer, I love designing them though!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Nice, nice, nice. I really admire anyone who can produce decals, and yours are superb.

I plan on two of these - Lufthansa retro and Aeroflot - but then I am restricted to what is commercially available.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Many thanks everyone for your great comments - they are really appreciated.

Some asked about my home made decals.

Never had much success with home printed decals, would be interested to hear more about how you made them, are they inkjet printed and then sealed with an acrylic lacquer?

Could you tell us about your decal making process? I also don't have much success with the printing side of things, maybe I've just got a crap printer, I love designing them though!

I’m sure home made decals are covered in other forums, but here is my method. Trust me – if I can do it, it has to be simple.

All you need is a graphics package to create and size the decals, a photo quality inkjet printer, a supply of inkjet water slide decal paper in either clear or white, and an acrylic clear spray.

I use Adobe Illustrator to create the decals. Airbus and Boeing both have aircraft drawings which can be downloaded from their websites and scaled to 1/144 to help correct sizing. Many airlines logos / titles can also be downloaded.

Make sure the printer is set to ‘photo paper’ with page scaling set to ‘none’ or 100%. Print onto inkjet decal paper in either clear or white depending on what you are creating. Basically clear paper is transparent, so white decal paper might be needed if the background is painted in colours (like the tail in this A321).

I leave the printed decal for 24 hours to ensure the ink has dried thoroughly. When dry, it is sealed with acrylic clear spray. Two very thin coats are usually enough with 15mins between coats, then allowed to dry for at least 24 hours before cutting out and applying decals in the usual way. If you have used white decal paper you have to cut out the image very precisely or you’ll be left with a white border.

This is the artwork for the Thomas Cook decal. First, the A321 drawing with everything correctly placed and sized.

A321-T-Cook_Artwork.jpg

Second, everything is copied onto a separate graphic and laid out as a decal sheet. I double-up everything so that I’ve got plenty of spares if I mess up any decal. As this is going onto white decal paper for the tail logo, a dark grey border has been added around the ‘sunny heart’ to help cutting.

A321-T-Cook-Decal.jpg

Its well worth a try for airline schemes not available on the market – especially if you can use detail decals (from the kit or from suppliers) for windows, doors, etc rather than have to worry about these as well. Give it a go. I can recommend craftycomputerpaper.co.uk who provide decal paper and acrylic clear spray via paypal with a very good service.

Hope this helps anyone who might want to get started.

Cheers and thanks again.

Tim

• Like 4

Thanks for the explanation of the decal printing process, Tim. I think I've been too impatient with my decal attempts. I haven't let things dry for long enough.

Will have to try craftycomputerpaper.co.uk for some of their acrylic spray.

If anyone wants to try designing decals but hasn't got Adobe Illustrator there is a free vector graphics package called inkscape which I use.

Cheers,

Ian

Hello,Timo My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Airbus'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.Your skill and chosen scheme have resulted in a resplendent tribute to this aircraft.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Beautiful model, so well finished too. I like their new scheme and to me it makes the previous one look a bit washed out and definitely in need of refresh. I'll add my thanks too for the helpful guide on homemade decals, I've almost given up waiting for some liveries to be produced by the aftermarket guys so may have a go trying it myself.

Jeff

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the excellent explanation, you make it sound oh so simple! A few of the issues I've had is overly thick decal paper, with an obvious edge, even with clear paper. To minimise that I cut so close to the printed artwork that it broke the acrylic seal and then the inkjet ink bled on contact with the water. I have since thought about laser printing, but most new laser printers are too hot and melt even laser specific decal paper. Since which time it's put me off trying again, but you've encouraged me to have another go, thanks!

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

that's a smart looking A321 and those decals of yours hit the spot -

I spend a lot of time flying around on BA's fleet of A320/1's and its nice to see these modelled so nicely in other liveries.

Airbus really got it right designing such an efficient baby - unless you've already been on one of these babys in bad weather trying to land in Gibraltar, you will be shocked just how tolerant and forgiving these planes are

Great model. I look forward to building one of these myself - I saw many Thomas Cook A321s in Corfu over the summer, one even performed a go-around because of a silly Cessna cutting in right in front of it and...now I'm rambling.