1/144 Welsh Models/Minicraft MD-90 conversion Delta Airlines

Greetings folks,

Another one saved from the shelf of doom, however, I still wonder if it was worth saving - does it look like an MD-90 to you?

This is the Welsh Models conversion for the Minicraft MD-80 kit. The conversion includes a replacement vacform fuselage and a pair of resin engines. The fuselage nose is a poor representation of an MD-80/90 and so as recommended by N5016R, I chopped the nose off and used the Minicraft kit nose. For all that effort, I might as well have just extended the kit fuselage, sigh.

Then the resin engines, err, look nothing like IAE V2500 engines, sigh. I used milliput and plastic strip to add some girth to the engines, to correct the engines as best as possible, but the fan diameter is still too small. I wasn't prepared to commit to the BraZ engines at this late stage, but in hindsight I could have used the spare V2500 engines from the Zvezda A320 kit.

The Delta decals came with the Welsh Model conversion and are laser decals so a bit soft, however they responded excellently to Microscale Set and Sol, and with the use of a hairdryer (first time attempted) conformed perfectly around all the raised and recessed detail on the tail fin. I will definitely be using the hairdryer for complex decals in future. Paints are Zero Paints white, Xtracolour Boeing Grey and Alclad aluminium, all sealed with Alclad Aqua Gloss.

On with photos.

Darren

38528781331_0c726809ce_k.jpg

24656619358_77d2a4ec72_k.jpg

37813441654_294e669c62_k.jpg

24656620328_73647f62cd_k.jpg

38497285882_5ac831cfb3_k.jpg

Edited by Darren Rhodes
Updated photo links
  • Like 13

Good result Darren!

That Minicraft nose is much better than the Welsh one isn't it! And the engines definitely look better with your surgery.

My only criticism would be the lack of weathering. Have you considered some light weathering to give it a little 'depth'?

How do you apply the Aqua gloss, can you brush it on like future? I've got a bottle but not used it yet.

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you guys very kind. Ian, quite agree, it looks too clean. I did weather the wings, but the panel lines have swallowed under layers of paint and didn't hold much wash, umm, and I just wanted it finished. The fuselage got so heavily sanded (vacforms have quite a rough finish) there are no panel lines left and this was a built a few years when I couldn't scribe my way out of a paper bag. Noted for the next build!

Darren

Looks great Darren. Delta, to me, had this timeless livery, as every other kid on the block kept reinventing themselves. All of a sardine, Delta changes their livery, and does so like three times in a few years. Euch!

I believe 'Wavy Gravy' and ' Beach Towel' are the same design ( this one ), but so disappointing. Recently, standing up on the observation deck at Johannesburg ( it is still sealed inside - but it is designed to see out over the runways, and most everyone up there is an enthusiast ) the worlds' airlines came and went, and when the Delta flight from Atlanta came in, it looked like some third world country's military transport - all stained white fuselage with a hint of colour on the stab.

Sorry about my rant - your build is awesome!

Cheers,

Mike

No need to apologise Mike! I'm amazed at how many liveries Delta have gone through in the last 10-15 years, something that will become evident as my Delta series progresses. That's my last airliner off the shelf of doom, so will be while before the next one is posted.

Much as I am still not completely happy with this model and another shelf of doom save, there is definitely something satisfying in emptying the shelf.

Darren

Hi Darren

That is a superb end result - the conversion, paint job and decals all look first class. I'm one of those who prefers to build model airliners that look as though they have just come out of the paint shop - all gleaming and new. I'd be well happy with a finish like yours. Well done.

Tim

Nicely done Darren. It's a pity the Welsh fuselage doesn't capture the nose shape correctly considering how expensive they are. Having said that, the use of the Minicraft nose is a good idea and although it was obviously a lot more complicated, you have certainly made a lovely job of it.

Chris

Does it look like an MD-90 to me? Absolutely yes and a very good representation at that. The hard work has clearly paid off.

I'm with Tim on weathering - less is usually more. Weathering airliners is easy, weathering them well is very, very difficult and something I prefer to leave to people whose skills are considerably greater than mine.

Just one small suggestion. Adding the ADF fairings and the anti-collision beacon to the top of the fuselage and adding aerials all round would be worth considering - hardly any work and an easy way to make the model look a bit more "busy".

:goodjob:

Dave

Does it look like an MD-90 to me? Absolutely yes and a very good representation at that. The hard work has clearly paid off.

Just one small suggestion. Adding the ADF fairings and the anti-collision beacon to the top of the fuselage and adding aerials all round would be worth considering - hardly any work and an easy way to make the model look a bit more "busy".

:goodjob:

Dave

Thanks, will bear the fairings and beacon in mind. Agree, it looks a bit 'sterile at the moment', long term I think I will re-do it with the BraZ engines and perhaps the current scheme (using MD-80 decals).

Lovely build Darren and she looks like an MD-90 but i'm a DC-9 fan sothe MD series (and 717) never looked right anyway,glad she still has the eyebrow windows though...

Thanks, sometimes I still think of the MD-80 as the DC-9 Super 80 as it was originally called. Well I some Decals de Guido for the DC-9-51 in the current livery, already researching the best way to make a -51 series - the decals recommend a Flying Fish Models resin Dc-9-51, seems non-existent.

Darren