Boulton Paul Sea Defiant - a second late whiff

Dave_R

Hi all,

Although time is very short, I can't resist giving this a go:-

On 31 December 1935, the British Air Ministry issued Specification O.30/35 for a carrier-based turret-armed fighter. Blackburn proposed a derivative of the Skua, to be called the Roc (a large mythical bird - that was probably quite slow flying and relatively harmless), while Boulton Paul proposed a version of its land-based Defiant turret fighter. As the "Sea Defiant" was clearly the superior aircraft naturally it was chosen. It went on to do useful service combating German Condors and U-boats in the North Atlantic.

The well known Airfix Defiant and arrestor hook, 20mm cannon and decals from the Revell Sea Hurricane.

sea%20defiant1_zpsd1ml51da.jpg

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R

Fun. Are you going to add extra flappery to get the landing speed down? Think Firefly perhaps, with some extra trailing edge fairings covering flap extension tracks?

In an alternative universe, the Roc was built at Boulton Paul's Wolverhampton factory because the Defiant was not ready for production.

Hi Graham

Extra flaps would be interesting, but practically time won't allow. The Sea Hurricane managed without extra flaps (as far as I know), I don't know about the relative landing speeds - but with best pilots and enough wind across the deck and it *might* have been OK without.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R

Update,

I've made reasonable progress and the end is in sight.

As predicted in went together beautifully.

sea%20defiant3_zps7tgcgggd.jpg

Added the 20mm cannon, bomb racks and arrestor hook from the Revell Hurricane. Also cut some holes for ejected 20mm shell cases and added a new panels on top of the wing for reloading the cannon.

sea%20defiant4_zpsdjm7crxa.jpg

Airbrushed Humbrol 90 underneath.....

sea%20defiant6_zpsje9s1wpz.jpg

.... and Xtracrylix Dark Slate Grey on top. I masked-up using AML pre-cut masks, to save time....

sea%20defiant7_zpsidsunsts.jpg

... and sprayed with Xtracrylix Extra Dark Sea Grey, and there we are. One of the most attractive colour schemes of WW2.

sea%20defiant8_zps8gfe8yai.jpg

Still some work to do - but it should be done in time.

Dave.

• Like 5

Cool. What markings are you thinking? Operation Torch? Operation Overlord?

Watching with interest (you're putting my tardiness to shame.....)

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

The only choice of decals are those that came with the Revell Sea Hurricane, - so :shrug:

Dave.

Lovely paint job.

May I ask, where did you get the camo masks from?

Hi,

I got them from Hannants - AML Paint Mask £2.80, with free postage. Good value really - the only down side is edge is bit hard as they don't sit-up from the surface the way blu-tack worms do. But they are re-usable (sort of) and I might try sticking them on with little blobs of blu-tack to get a soft edge on my next Defiant.

Dave.