Airfix Merlin 1/48 HC3 Cutaway Attempt

Devcon 1

Interior coming together. I have to say I'm greatly impressed with the fit/engineering of this kit, it's a real pleasure to build so far.

P1060726_zpshmqgt1ex.jpg

P1060727_zpsnw0s4ue5.jpg

P1060735_zpsl47kwqy9.jpg

P1060740_zpszkr4hx8m.jpg

P1060742_zpsqq6x0dtf.jpg

P1060744_zpsdkdnl6dm.jpg

I've got to make some bulkheads in the gap between the cabin roof and engine floor and maybe put some wiring looms in there as again I've got no idea what's inside the real one there. The sponson top cover will be removeable to show the undercarriage bay detail.

Regards

John

• Like 7

This is a fantastic project. Amazing work so far, especially with the interior. The fuel tanks (black rubber bags) live under the floor along with a couple of dry bays with various pumps etc so what you've done is a nice generic representation.

Stick with a Quad and trailer as a load as Land Rovers do not fit unless fully stripped down. Quad facingback towards the ramp as well. As a rigger, I remember watching with horror as Para's practiced reversing Quad/trailer combo's up the ramp in theatre........

Thanks for all your feedback....

Top cabling done, it was the smallest I had in stock but looks far too big in the photos, Will improve my research for further versions.

I made the mistake of not looking at the details on the Eduard info sheet so messed up the door MG a bit but I guess only I would notice it.

P1060751_zpszgkwrztv.jpg

P1060753_zpstwtlf8j8.jpg

P1060767_zpsdcvi2bfd.jpg

P1060764_zpsv07bflos.jpg

Regards

John

• Like 2

Been sorting some of the odds and sods out whilst contemplating the interior lighting but I've now got a solution.

A micro switch operated by the ramp so when the ramp is open the lights are on. One LED mounted in the walkway between cockpit and cabin pointing backwards and one above the ramp pointing forwards.

This gives a nice wash of light and is powered by a CR2032 mounted below the rotor mast, the two LEDs are wired in parallel.

P1060768_zpsgrkqgky7.jpg

P1060769_zpsfejjosii.jpg

P1060770_zps26naa3dm.jpg

P1060771_zpswweckzoc.jpg

P1060772_zps0qspq7bc.jpg

P1060773_zps8uuhmk2p.jpg

Wiring will be straightforward, the microswitch and LEDs look big in the photos but in reality looking from inside the model they hide quite well.

Regards

John

• Like 2

LEDs glued in place, I've put foil over them to get as much reflected light inside.

I've missed a trick on this one but will put it right on the next one by making the wiring part of the detailing between the cabin roof and engine floor.

P1060775_zps33jiirxv.jpg

P1060774_zps9rjordxa.jpg

Hopefully get the wiring done tomorrow and then back to some glueing....

Regards

John

• Like 3

Wiring covered up so it's starting to look like a helicopter.

Made a slight error when glueing the main side windows onto the fuselage sides which left them sticking out a bit, I contemplated taking them out out but resorted to sanding down the frames a little, lesson learnt for the next one..

All the outer skin now drying.

P1060782_zpskrtoe3kk.jpg

Removeable side in situ, I'll use magnets for retention.

P1060781_zpsq6rg4cdi.jpg

Battery location which will be accessed by the removable left engine cover.

P1060778_zpswx8ewcxg.jpg

This was the error with the windows although it doesn't look too bad from this angle.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Hi exdraken,

The glazing just butts up to it's mating surface, although loosely placed for the pic the fit is excellent when held in place. The top engine fairings overlaps onto the top of the glazing a bit.

P1060783_zps2igyipw7.jpg

P1060784_zpshrm1kfan.jpg

Regards

• Like 2

On with the folding tail.

I know this model will be a hybrid of Merlin versions and may not be absolutely true to scale to any single helicopter but I guess it's a bit of a sandbox for further builds.

The boom has been cut following the mould lines.

P1060794_zpsjuw8vnn7.jpg

Hinge brackets made from old sprue, the brass tube will form inserts into the 4 brackets with an old drill being the final hinge component.

P1060788_zpsfstyb1ht.jpg

These 4 brackets will be made as small as I dare !!!

P1060793_zpsmh127ovp.jpg

Couldn't resist a test of the lights.

P1060792_zps8bcr0lhg.jpg

P1060791_zpsqyxey8yg.jpg

Regards

John

• Like 6

Looking at the first attempt at a hinge I've come to the conclusion it doesn't look like the real thing at all and also looks a bit rubbish so onto MKII..

Using the same brass tube and drill I've glued the tube directly to the edge of the fuselage, I had to relieve the fuselage a bit so I'll make a litho plate trim to overlay the hinge when displaying in folded state

P1060795_zpss8bnp7ml.jpg

P1060797_zpss2q4ww2z.jpg

P1060800_zpssu7g2m5o.jpg

P1060801_zpsg10atisv.jpg

Regards

• Like 1