Airfix Merlin 1/48 HC3 Cutaway Attempt

Devcon 1

Hi All,

New member so please bear with me until I get the hang of things.

I've garnered a load of hints and tips from this forum and have been inspired by many of the builds so I thought it appropriate to share progress of my current project.

I finally took the plunge and got the HC3 and Eduard Big Ed pack, seeing as the interior is fully detailed and mostly hidden when built I've decided to create a cutaway version with a removeable side to show a pair of Airfix quads on board.

Apologies for it not being absolutely accurate as I do get a bit carried away so I'll be building it with folded rotors and hinged tail.

Photos to follow on progress so far.

Kind Regards

John

• Like 1

Getting frustrated, I've got my photos on Flickr with access set to public

When I paste the link into this thread I get a broken link image and the message "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

I know I'm doing something wrong, just can't work it out. I've checked all the help topics but am still clueless.

Has anybody had a similar issue?

Thanks

John

Here's my progress so although only started on Thursday last week.

Nosewheel.

P1060658_zps6rzhscir.jpg

Before the cut..

P1060659_zpszhni60lr.jpg

And after.

P1060660_zpswgidscdv.jpg

A test fit.

P1060661_zpswmvksdiq.jpg

Should get a decent internal view.

P1060664_zps3ln6palq.jpgP1060663_zpshdjuj0zp.jpg

The nearside sponson top will be removable together with the outer engine fairing to allow removal of the side. I plan on using magnets for retention but I'll see how things shape up. I'll also put some LED lights inside to illuminate the interior.

Regards

John

• Like 12

Having just today picked up this kit from Airfix for the princely sum of £19.99 (finally something good to come of black Friday!) I shall be watching this one with a great deal of interest.

Keen to see how you tackle the lighting as it's something I've always fancied doing but it vexes me no end!

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Ben.

Thanks for all the feedback...

Wow £19.99, are there any more as I might need a second one when things go bad...

Here's the pic that gave me the idea.

xin_51203052709198282776413.jpg

I've been doing the interior and finalising the inner skin cut. Pics to follow tomorrow. One advantage of having the interior open means I can continue to either add detail or change the load.

Kind Regards

John

• Like 3

Progress to date.

P1060712_zpswwuaa9sh.jpg

Not sure what's under the floor of a Merlin, hope it looks like this.

P1060713_zpskoa3cmry.jpg

Office nearly done.

P1060715_zpsoosy4dd3.jpg

P1060716_zps43cnxvup.jpg

P1060718_zpseq5ct4b5.jpg

The quads look quite small in there so I'll try a snatch Landrover when it comes..

P1060719_zpsvelhifch.jpg

Thanks for looking.

John

• Like 9

I will get the quads and trailers to exit facing forwards. I've got some figures to go with them. I struggle with colour choices and tend to rush things and use what I have in stock. The rear seats did start green but I overdid the drybrushing with Tamiya Chrome Silver. I've just bought 2 more Merlin in the Airfix sale so I can apply what I learn from this one. The wash is from Flory but it is a procees I struggle with when it comes to the smaller structural areas. I'm in awe of some of the techniques I see used by you on this Forum. I think I'll try the Turps and Oil paint on the smaller bits. All observations and tips gratefully received. John

• Like 1