1/48 Douglas TBD-1 Devastator VT-3 pre-war

#37/2015

The newest roll-out and one of my dad´s rare excursions to USN subjects.
Used the classic Monogram kit, white box 1974 edition, mostly oob.
Decals were taken from the GWH "Wake Island" kit. One of the "T"s was missing the horizontal bar, luckily my dad found a suiting decal piece in the spares box.
Seatbelts added, aerials with EZ Line, Gunze and Tamiya acrylics.

BTW, forgot to remove the masks on the little fuselage side windows...

DSC_0001_zpsehshuoev.jpg

DSC_0002_zps7aih9eel.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsjyapsoz9.jpg

DSC_0004_zps8jponjzc.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsa6zfgogg.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsjagryydm.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsks7hnzyy.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsdg4ta65v.jpg

DSC_0009_zps5g78sunp.jpg

DSC_0010_zps5vvdugub.jpg

DSC_0011_zpsbz0fuur2.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsonkujux5.jpg

DSC_0013_zps0ddgaznn.jpg

DSC_0014_zps9ausligj.jpg

DSC_0015_zpssfwyaby5.jpg

Edited by Reini78
  • Like 31

Very nice build. Can any USN expert explain the function of the pre war yellow wings? I am guessing a safety feature for the frequent ditchings that these aircraft made so there was a fighting chance of finding the aircrew? The green stripe refers to the carrier air wing?

So colourful, not sure I could paint one of these in the darker greys of WW2

• Like 1

Very nice build. Can any USN expert explain the function of the pre war yellow wings? I am guessing a safety feature for the frequent ditchings that these aircraft made so there was a fighting chance of finding the aircrew? The green stripe refers to the carrier air wing?

So colourful, not sure I could paint one of these in the darker greys of WW2

here you find some information about USN pre-war IDs and markings

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Aircraft/YellowWings/

• Like 1

Excellent. An outstanding oldie turning into a goodie....Did you rescribe it or left it as it was? Can' guess from the pics....I' using my cell phone now, and pics are too small for my eyes....

cheers...

• Like 1

Excellent. An outstanding oldie turning into a goodie....Did you rescribe it or left it as it was? Can' guess from the pics....I' using my cell phone now, and pics are too small for my eyes....

cheers...

thanks!

no rescribing done

Hello,Reini78 - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Devastator'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and she looks resplendent in your chosen scheme which suits the type so well.Again,it's an absolute treat to see models lime this from a fine manufacturer of yesteryears ago.Magic Monogram! All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful TBD! And a very clean and precise build to boot.

I have just two small points: the green on the wings and cowling is way out (unless of course the colours on the photos are corrupted). The perfect colour can be had by using Humbrol 2.

Lastly, the yellow of the wings is perfect for US Army aircraft of that period, For US Navy aircraft, it should be more orange.

As an after thought, the interior of USN planes is likely to have been aluminium as opposed to interior green, which appeared when camouflage replaced the yellow wings.

These comments do not detract from the fact that it is still a fantastic build!

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

@jean

you´re right, the green should be brighter, as usual got to know of color footage after the model was finished....

and the wing color of the navy birds should be more orange, but looking at original pics they often look more yellow, but it always depends on the light, hard to tell

interior colors were often mixed as you can see on the following pics, some had metal interior, some greenish

TBD-1_zpskmpmybzq.jpg

56ow4-vi_zpsbiunzb9y.jpg

Devestators_zps53b23hdd.jpg

db-cap031_zpsdezmlqzt.jpg

PDVD33_zpsxutodh5i.jpg

TBD-5_zpslrxyuww8.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Reini,

of course you have to find the rare photos where the interiors are already painted interior green. It had already started during revisions and it then became green all around.

Anyway, I stand chastised that your dad decided to model a TBD with green interior!!!

Re the yellow, I believe the old emulsions play havoc with that color,,, but that's only me! Whatever you're happy with is good!

Great build anyway!

JR

yes, with these old birds and (color) pics there´s always room for discussion and modeler´s self interpretation, my dad is no nitpicker or rivet-counter and as you mentioned, happiness and fun should be the major part in modelling

cheers, Reinhard