Caterham R500 Custom Build - 1/12

Right - this might be a long one!

I'm starting a number of WIP's at the same time as I need to start somewhere with uploading lots of pictures - then when I get to update the models it becomes easier to update in 'real time'!

This project started over 12 years ago!

I was inbetween jobs (briefly) and had started to dabble with Caterham models - I got my real Caterham in about 2001, hence the connection. I was tweaking existing diecasts (Kyosho 1/18) for friends, and cut a long story short, a fellow 7'ner - who raced them - got in touch and 'commissioned' models of his two race cars - but we decided to use the Tamiya 1/12 kits as a base. These are stunning in terms of detail - almost built exactly like the real car - indeed I heard that the tooling for these kits were the most expensive Tamiya had made (no ide if that is true) - but the boss had one and wanted to make a kit.

d9e5b463-c6e0-4556-aa0a-53e537d278e8.jpg

The kits are silly money now - really wish they would re-issue.

They made three - the one above, a JPE special (the luminous yellow one) and a more traditional looking car with flared wings.

DSC06514.jpg

One very cold day in 2002 I went up to Snetterton race track to have some rides and take lots of photos of the two cars, to use as reference in making the kits.

I made a good start on the kits, and was able to use the workshop at the design consultancy where I was working (after the break)

The real life took over - I got the next full time job, and time seemed to pass...until it was over a decade since I started the kits! In that time I moved a few times, and am now in New York. Ironically now that I am based in NYC, I am obviously not able to use my Caterham in the UK - and all that that 'scene' entails - so suddenly I have some more time again - so after gradually bringing all the kits over to the States each time I traveled, I now have everything over here. With more disposable income than back then, I'm getting back into modelling - got an airbrush now :) - another big difference from back then is the availability of so many 'detail' kits in terms of carbon finishes etc - the internet has made this all much easier!

So now I have started on these kits again, I thought I'd post a WIP to encourage myself to update regularly.

But first I'll cover the 'first stage' of these cars - from back in 2002-4. So the first huge set of pictures are all pretty old and of varying quality.

I'd say I had completed about 80% of the work by the time it all stopped - so now to finish them! Part of the delay was the difficulty in scratch making certain parts - I'm not a professional model maker, and do/did not have access to a full workshop - I used what I could at various times. 3D printing will help a huge amount with finishing certain details - like the carbon fibre seats - once I learn how to draw them up in solidworks.

Ok - that is the long introduction to the build - I'll get on with uploading the stuff now!!

cheer

angus

Edited by caterhamnut
  • Like 3

[adding a place holder or two]

The Kits.

Two of the kits have the old Ford BDR engine at their heart. The JPE has the 2ltr Vauxhall engine modelled.

I need neither - both the cars i am building have k-series rover engines.

The chassis is remarkably accurate. having totally rebuilt my (real) car I can say that you build this kit in almost exactly the same way as the real thing!

Bigkitdetail.jpg

The kit has aluminium panels that fit in the same way as the 1/1 version.

3%20kits.jpg

The shows the Tamiya 1/12 chassis next to the Kyosho 1/18 car and a 1/43 model.

BigSmall1.jpg

Here is the first model I made for someone (these were not 'paid' jobs) using a Kyosho 1/18 model.

How it started:

KyoshoKit.jpg

KyoshoBits_2.jpg

How it ended up:

Finished1.jpg

Finished2.jpg

Pretty crude by the standards of most on here! But every detail is like the original car, down to the tax disc...

This also required an 'engine change', from a twincam to a simple crossflow...

(original BDR below)

KyoshoEngine.jpg

Engine-Detail.jpg

BenchSeat.jpg

Right - enough of that old 1/18 stuff!!

Back to the big models....

Edited by caterhamnut
  • Like 3

Like you I started this project a decade + ago. I have the resin Minilites, and all aftermartket PE and resin sets. Got to full chassis construction and then 1:1 projects caused me to shelve it. It sits just as I left it and I love the car. Now my big Pocher Rolls has taken over my life.

Please do it with Broolkands screens - I love 'em and planned to scratch them. You have a great advantage owning a 1:1 and I look forward to watch you execute this.

Don't put it away this time...

Sigh. Yet more inspiration. I bought a part-built 'classic' version a number of years ago, and it languishes in its box, awaiting the moment I begin to undo what's been done and start again. Following with interest.

Looking forward to this...popcorn ready! The kits have never been within my price range, so remain the only 1/12 Tamiya cars missing from my stash. :(

Check out the work of 'Scale-Master' over on the AF forum. I think he may well have 3D files and 3D printed parts that may be useful!

And...if you need your wee beastie in the UK airing over the winter, give me a shout! :)

Like you I started this project a decade + ago. I have the resin Minilites, and all aftermartket PE and resin sets. Got to full chassis construction and then 1:1 projects caused me to shelve it. It sits just as I left it and I love the car. Now my big Pocher Rolls has taken over my life.

Please do it with Broolkands screens - I love 'em and planned to scratch them. You have a great advantage owning a 1:1 and I look forward to watch you execute this.

Don't put it away this time...

Oooh - didn't even know there were aftermarket things available! Do you remember who did them?

These models are race cars, so no brooklands - or screens!

However, my baby....I mean my car does have brooklands screens. Love 'em....far more effective than aeroscreens for comfy driving...just to qualify that - for a while the 7 was our only car - it is fair to say that we did slightly more miles than most - about 150,000 so far in the 10 or so years....last few have been a bit low as I am abroard. Driving now means flying back to UK for a few track days in France. Last year I flew back and drove the 7 all the way to the F1 race in Monza, via the Swiss passes....OMG heaven. Miss it.

Anyway - one day I will make a model of my car...after these of course! I'll post a few pics....

111_4598.jpg

111_4575.jpg

DSC07431.jpg

Edited by caterhamnut

Looking forward to this...popcorn ready! The kits have never been within my price range, so remain the only 1/12 Tamiya cars missing from my stash. :(

Check out the work of 'Scale-Master' over on the AF forum. I think he may well have 3D files and 3D printed parts that may be useful!

And...if you need your wee beastie in the UK airing over the winter, give me a shout! :)

I'll bear you in mind VT :)

I am lucky that I have a friend looking after the car, and 'my man' preps it for my return - haha!

I'll check out Scale-Master - thanks!

....can't find anything - do you have a link?

Edited by caterhamnut

So - in the end the only part of the kit that did not change has really been the main chassis and ali panels, suspension components and wings.

• The engine changes from a Ford BDR to a Rover K-series, complete with roller-barrels and airbox, dry sump etc
  • The race cars have full SLR roll cages and aeroscreens.
  • Different wheels/tyres.
  • Half doors
  • Carbon 'Tillet' race seats.
  • Carbon dash.
  • Hand brake! The kits have the old 'under-scuttle' style.
  • Race stickers - I'll need to draw and make decals...
  • All sorts of sensors and custom parts.

I could have kept the bonnet fixed, but I started to model the engine, and once I had started, I made the rod for my back with the level of detail I had to continue! :) And each car was different as well - different engine details, seats, dashboards and decals....

My only real machine tool was a little plastic/ali extruded machine set, which you can still get on ebay from china for about $150

This thing could be configured as a milling machine, a lathe, sanding wheel, fret saw etc etc....for my amateur needs it was awesome. I machined the engine cam cover with this, and some of the little control boxes, having initially used it on the 1/18 Kyosho.

Milling.jpg

MilledPiece.jpg

Grooves.jpg

I can't find this anywhere in any boxes back in thhe UK - so although it is pretty crude, not very accurate etc - I am still very tempted to buy a cheap one off ebay for those quick milling jobs - I'd love a proper engineering lathe and desktop milling machine - but I just can't do that out here in NYC, where I am modelling at a desk in my office at work, and bringing stuff home each night to work on the dining room table at the apartment - nothing set up permanently (a real pain!)

I had also dipped my toe into basic molding of parts - mainly as a way to duplicate the hand made bits I had fashioned, such as the new style battery or central gear tunnel cover.

The JPE version of the kit had a few more up-to-date parts i needed for my kits, such as small wing mirrors, steering wheel and 7 grill, so I tried to make molds of these to duplicate the parts....if i do the same again I may look at getting PE parts made for some things...maybe...

Edited by caterhamnut

Hi, I think that plastic lathe / mill set up is the Unimat1. I think they're still available though probably more than 150USD. They were fairly heavily advertised in Railway mags when they came out, but the sort of people who wanted a lathe for railway modelling really needed (wanted) something beefier. But for working on materials used in static models it might be ideal.

Cheers

Will

Your 1:1 kicks bottom - same way I'd love one but 300HP. Love those fenders.

Sorry but I'm hazy on supplies from so long ago but the wheels and engine bits (Webers) were either Replicas and Miniatures or Scale Motorsports. PE too.

Lurk around the web a bit, they may still be available.

I think I am going to look at an Ultimat ML - I know these things will never be good as 'proper' mini-mills and lathes, but for the plastic and maybe ali stuff I might want to do, and the limited space, I think you can't beat the size and flexibility....

Only trouble is I can't find them in the States....

Right - back on topic! Sorry, my fault...

As I had said, the kit is almost exactly the same as the real car - I started with the chassis:

DSC06106.jpg

Chassis_2.jpg

Chassis_1.jpg

I won't go into too much text detail - this was 12 years ago :)

Yellow0.jpg

I used car spray rattle cans to paint the yellow (and the blue version) - no airbrush in those days!

Yellow9.jpg

Yellow3.jpg

Yellow5.jpg

Yellow4.jpg

Yellow7.jpg

Yellow2.jpg

DeDion.jpg

DeDion_2.jpg

Bits_1.jpg

Yellow6.jpg

Scuttle.jpg

RollingChassis_1.jpg

Racer.jpg

I built up the other chassis in the same way. I had added a few other components on these pictures, just to see what it looked like - neither car would have windscreens or those seats...

blue_3.jpg

blue_1.jpg

blue_5.jpg

blue_yellow_2.jpg

blue_yellow_1.jpg

At this point I had pretty much built all I was going to build with the kit parts - no point in building the kit engine, as I had to rebuild them.

Edited by caterhamnut
  • Like 1

The BDR from the kit looked like this - picture is actually of the Kyosho 1/18, but it shows the same BDR engine...

KyoshoEngine.jpg

And I had to make it look like this - twice...

DSC06401.jpg

DSC06686.jpg

DSC06687.jpg

DSC06688.jpg

I phaffed around with all sorts of finishes, added deatil, took away detail, shaped the block etc etc - but the fact was that in the end you would not be able to see the block - the biggest visual difference was the cam cover....

Then it came to my favorite bit of the kit - the cam cover.

For this k-series version, I used my Ultimat 1 toy...I mean machine :) - to be fair, it worked very well. I machined some plasti-wood, all pretty much by eye, and I think it came out great.

Head_1.jpg

DSC06676.jpg

Added some 3D letters...

Head_2.jpg

Very relevant those, as the two cars had different ignition lead covers with different text...one of the cars was a very early R500 and it was important to model the differences - another change was that one car had 'Tillet' branded carbon seats, the other had 'Caterham' branded - but that is for later!

ForScale.jpg

In the next shot you can see I have added the dry-sump oil filler (black tower)

40d53882-dd36-4919-b048-97c697117a6d.jpg

Early test fit

DSC06782.jpg

The battery was one of the first bits I 'scratch' built.

MiniBat_1.jpg

Complete with ink-jet printed paper (didn;t know you could print decal paper in those days!)

MiniBat_3.jpg

Early Caterhams (and the kit) didn't have an extended passenger footwell, so I had to make one...

ExtraFootwell.jpg

Back to the engine - added various k-series parts - like the cam cover...

engine_2.jpg

The exhaust on an R500 is very very tightly packed! Even more on the early R500 cars, where not only was the very tight exhaust, but also a very very convoluted carbon air-intake system, consisting of carbon intakes and airbox, linked with paper tubing! After a few attempts at bending wire, I settled on very thick solder, as being easily pliable...worked well.

engine_1.jpg

engine_3.jpg

(this was all tidied up later)

Real version!

DSC06399.jpg

At one point I was able to use a corner of a workshop at the design consultancy where I worked - you can see all the photos I was working from...

my_office.jpg

I gradually started to build up the engine, wire by wire, electrical block by block....and that damn intake system that was a nightmare. Had to remake the radiator (much bigger on the R500) and the fan etc etc....

Ignition leads that went to the coil pack...

SparkPlug_1.jpg

SparkPlug_2.jpg

DSC06981.jpg

The oil catch tanks on the bulkhead are scratch made...

DSC06983.jpg

Engine_wires.jpg

Engine_oil.jpg

engine_5.jpg

engine_4.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers guys...

Right - bit more piping - radiator hoses...

rad_2.jpg

rad_3.jpg

DSC07076.jpg

More wires, radiator and Apollo tank (oil swirl tank in front of the cambelt cover) top rad hose and coolant expansion tank. In fact that coolant tank and the brake fluid reservoir are the only 'kit' parts in the engine bay - everything else is scratch built.

ooh yes, and the blue rag around the top of the dry-sump oil filler neck :)

Of course at the same time, I was also building the second engine for the blue car...you can see details like dry sump pump belt on this shot...

DSC07006.jpg

No Webers on these cars - had to make roller barrels...

DSC07073.jpg

DSC07083.jpg

DSC07094.jpg

Now carbon airbox that goes over the roller-barrels.

DSC07079.jpg

I was doing this model 'by-eye' - from the photos - so not able to scale much - took a few goes at this bit to make it fit and look right...

air_box_1.jpg

...but quite pleased with the result - I faked the carbon look by spraying grey primer very lightly through some fine mesh - had no idea you could get carbon fibre decals!! It works...

DSC07101.jpg

• Like 1