Caterham R500 Custom Build - 1/12

• 4 weeks later...

Right - back on it after a trip to France and marshaling at the British F1 GP!

I tried a bit of clear resin to make the rear fog and reverse lights - I'd made the casing already, so made the 'lens' to fit inside. I thought I'd try a few details inside in the lens to see if it showed when painted (with clear red) - it actually worked quite well! I used a bit of silver paint inside the lens to help, especially with the reverse light. I'll add some screw details later...

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

I had a back-up plan using some clear red reflectors cut up, but the printed clear worked well...

IMG_0714.jpg

...although I did have some weird artifacting with some of the prints - I think what happened was that the first few layers stuck to the FEP film, not the plate - then it stuck, and then i was getting some refraction of the UVA light through the clear resin - no idea, but I managed to get a few pieces that worked for what I needed.

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

I needed to find a way to fit my wheels - the bolt holes did not quite line up - I think the file was scaled slightly over the years, but I wanted something stronger anyway...

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

Incidentally, the Tamiya kit is so well made that it even has the alternative suspension mounts that the 'real' car has - in this model the trailing arm (link arm?) is fitted in 'comfort' mode - the lower boss is for better handling. It is all to do with 'rear steer' on the de-dion tube, and this kit actually can be used to demonstrate the difference and why the 2 positions work - I'll make a video next time I make one...

IMG_0772.jpg

So I drew up some 'spacers' (I wanted a slightly wider track) which included the rear bub bolt and the front bearing grease cap. These would mount on the existing wheel bolts, and fit snuggly into my new alloys.

IMG_0733.jpg

I used my trusty metallic pens to colour these - quick and effective!

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Needed to finish one of the cages...

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

...and some more decals.

IMG_0774.jpg

• Like 7

I was back in the UK recently and went for a quick spin in a Caterham with a Ford EcoBoost and paddle change gearbox. That was fun! He was on the way to have it tuned so I only got the 250hp version, but after the tune it was up over 300hp! From 1600cc!

I’ll post pics if anyone’s interested?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, injidup said:

I was back in the UK recently and went for a quick spin in a Caterham with a Ford EcoBoost and paddle change gearbox. That was fun! He was on the way to have it tuned so I only got the 250hp version, but after the tune it was up over 300hp! From 1600cc!

I’ll post pics if anyone’s interested?

That'll be Mr Arnie's car? It's certainly going to fly (when it's running :) )

Yep, K2RUM. I’ve known Arnie for years (since before he built his first Seven) but don’t see him often as were on opposite sides of the world.

I now NEED 300bhp in my Elise! I can do without the brutal gear changes, though!

lol - yep, known him for all our 7'ning years (so since 2002-ish) - was there just before you probably, when he was doing final assembly of the ecoboost - amazing how quiet it is with that tiny exhaust (turbo sucks up a lot of noise)

Never enough power :) - I'm on about 200bhp with our 7 - but it is used, so very reliable - 180,000 miles and counting!

I think if/when I go on from the k-series, I'll skip the duratec and go eco.

14 hours ago, Codger said:

There's nothing like owning the 1:1 for accurate reference. Superb work 'Nut.

Were you cheering for Verstappen??

Be great when I do a model of my own car! I am pondering doing a scratch build larger scale for that - maybe in the future sometime!

I'm a fan of all the drivers to be honest. Senna from the past. Of course one has ones favorites each season - Button. I think we really are watching greatness with Lewis - don't get the haters who get wound up because he wears an earing or goes to a party - I think he is also growing into a great F1 Ambassador, speaking out more about the cars/circuits etc - and is therefore a great World Champion in that he is visible. I like Seb a great deal as well - but he hardly promotes the sport at all. His speech at Charlie Whitings memorial brings a tear (as did Lewis driving Frank W around Silverstone - both on youtube) and he seems a genuinely nice bloke - not having the best of luck right now....

I think the young guns coming up are fantastic - they ignore the 'you can't overtake there....' old skool stuff and race (when allowed!) - the Verstappen/Le Clerc battle at the weekend was fantastic.

Over the weekend, 3 drivers consistently got higher cheers whenever they pass - Lewis, Lando and Charles.

Been lucky enough to go to a few GP's in the last few years - Canada, Shanghai and Monza. At everyone (including Monza) Lewis gets a cheer twice as loud as ANY other driver.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, caterhamnut said:

Be great when I do a model of my own car! I am pondering doing a scratch build larger scale for that - maybe in the future sometime!

Bring it on ! Don't wait for 'the future'.

Great insights from the track. We couch racers don't get that from the TV. You're a lucky dude...

2 hours ago, Codger said:

Bring it on ! Don't wait for 'the future'.

Great insights from the track. We couch racers don't get that from the TV. You're a lucky dude...

It was great - but damn long days marshaling! Up at 5.30am, on station by 7 and there until 8pm on Fri/Sat! But we had a great spot (Vale/Club) to watch the action! Usual ludicrous times to even get out of the marshals Campsite and onto a road, let alone away from Silverstone!

• Haha 1

Hard not to go back to parts that I fitted/assembled 15 years ago and replace/improve!

I changed these 'large' screws which held the pedal box cover on with 'rivets'...

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

I need to be careful with this, otherwise I might never finish...

3D printer is getting more use - first with the shift-light module...

Capture%202.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

And then making 2 dry sump pans - these can't be seen once fitted, as the car is so low - but they need to be there on the bottom of my custom 'K-series' engine...so not 'perfect' modeling, but good enough.

sump-pan-dry-sump-rover.jpg

Capture%203.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

Having made the '7' grill with the 3D printer, I now added the mesh 'panel' that sits behind the grill, in front of the radiator. This has worked out really nicely, imo! I sprayed a plastic mesh and glued in place, to be trimmed later...

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

Of course it isn't all plain sailing. The paint finish on the rear wings had develped tiny cracks - it may have been the clear coat I used - but it meant I had to sand back and re-do. I masked the (home made) decal on the wings and sanded/resprayed. It only required a polish really. But the masking tape pulled the decal off...grrrr. I thought I had clear coated over the decal, but it didn't seem to hold it...

IMG_1264.jpg

So I had to remove, re-sand and re-spray without the decal - I did not have any more of these, which I had printed in NYC. No big deal, as only one time-period of the car had these particular race stickers on. 

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

Starting to assemble more sub-assemblies/parts now...

• Like 4

Wheels needed some more details before fitting, so I added some tyre valves and the wheel nuts, and then the 3D printer was used to make a mask for spraying the 'AVON' graphic on the tyres, which is a detail which will look great on the race car. Luckily it worked first time...:)

Capture.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

I modeled the tyre profile on the mask, as the spray would need to go around the profile of the tyres...

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

tiny bit of touching-up will be required on the wheel paint....

• Like 4

Great stuff!

I still have my BRDCMC badge somewhere. I marshalled for the Bentley Drivers' Club Silverstone meets, never did get a GP. Great fun but as you say, a long day. Especially when it's raining, you're at the far end of the circuit, and they haven't yet decided whether to cancel. Horizontal rain is not nice.

Ian

On 7/31/2019 at 4:19 PM, limeypilot said:

Great stuff!

I still have my BRDCMC badge somewhere. I marshalled for the Bentley Drivers' Club Silverstone meets, never did get a GP. Great fun but as you say, a long day. Especially when it's raining, you're at the far end of the circuit, and they haven't yet decided whether to cancel. Horizontal rain is not nice.

Ian

I was 'fake' marshaling just the other side of the fence from you guys in orange :) - Friday and Saturday are full-on 7am on-station until about 7-8pm. We were lucky with the weather and the race - historic F1's racing aswell, which was brilliant. We had Club, Vale and start/finish....

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, caterhamnut said:

I was 'fake' marshaling just the other side of the fence from you guys in orange :) - Friday and Saturday are full-on 7am on-station until about 7-8pm.

Serious question; where do you Iron Men go potty during 12 hour marshalling?? :phew:

• Haha 1