Lovely progress Rob, they're coming along very nicely indeed B)

The dark side is not without its attractions, hence my occasional Luftwaffe builds :lol: - you haven't built a 'Jerry' yet, have you? Well one now and then doesn't hurt ("Moderation in all things, especially moderation" as Ralph Waldo Emerson said)...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Good work on those Rob, a steady hand on the demarcation :)

I agree that primer would help with the paint and save you time / coats. Although white is a pain (and yellow).

Nearly there.

• Like 1

Interesting progress, Rob :goodjob: You're coming across some of the common problems in brush painting, and if you don't mind I'll throw in my :2c: ; I'll second all others saying that you should try priming your model - I do that on every model I do, plastic kit, resin or white metal figure; I know someone, like Stix, doesn't and has a great success :thumbsup: , but I regard that as an exception, probably also related to the kind of paints he's using.

Paint: "investing" in some good ones (I like Lifecolor's for brush painting, but my suggestion anyway is to stay with vinyl based acrylics), can really help enjoying your painting job even more

White (and Yellow), as Ced says, can really be a pain (to me, Red as well); so, provided that some primer would help a little bit, when I need to get a good white coverage I first lay down an off-white even coat (that is, same white you are going to use plus a tiny bit of grey). For Yellow and Red, I use a white undercoat - unless I want to get a different hue, but that's all another matter.

Sorry for being tedious, HTH

Ciao

• Like 2

Cheers all,

Argument for primer cannot be ignored, I my next build I will use primer. I have a can of halfords grey primer in the shed so can crack that open!

Giemme, good advice! In the new year when money is a bit better I would like to start replacing some of the paints I have with a hope to improve my work... However for now I have what I have.

John that is a cunning one with the white primer probably takes better than normal paint?

Wooksta, good call on the rlm 76, it's not the new humbrol range of rlm but I plan to use HU 65 for the underside which is their old match?

Stew, I do have one skeleton in my closet, airfix's me 110 which was the second model I built.... I think.... A bit worse for wear now. I have planned for next year a FW 190, me 110 and JU 88 which should up the baddie count! They do have some very cool colour schemes!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

Hi Rob! I'd say they are all looking superb! :thumbsup: I'm glad the paints went on so well. I will follow with interest if you do try some brush painting over primer. As has been mentioned - I don't tend to use primer but it does seem to get the thumbs-up from the majority of modellers.

Well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Cheers chaps,

John I will take the advice on the white primer as I have a catalina planned in my future and would not be keen on brush painting that!

Stix, cheers for the comments, I will keep you posted on primer use for the next build....maybe the p-47 GB. I have painted and used rattle can primer on my 1/48 Malta spit, which worked well but I felt it might be a bit much in this scale.... Let find out!

Sean cheers mate I appreciate it, I am looking forward to how these turn out! Hoping the transfer process is a good one 🤔

Cookie, cheers! I will get the HU30 on and then get these micro meshed which should help give them a cleaner finish ready for transfers.

Hu65 enamel is on the bottom of QJ-W, probably needs another touch up. Photos will go up tomorrow.

Quick question.... I have been thinking of getting a product that settles the transfers, good idea? And any recommendations if so?

Rob

• Like 2

Quick question.... I have been thinking of getting a product that settles the transfers, good idea? And any recommendations if so?

Rob

Micro Set and Micro Sol are the two that spring to mind, mainly because I use them, but I'm running low on the former (it's used when applying the decals, the Sol softens then to conform with the surface) so I've been experimenting by not using the Set.

Frankly, I can't see any appreciable difference.

Micro Sol does help but I've also been using a piece of cotton wool soaked in nearly boiling water and that really does make the decal flatten.

There are other products available and other methods, have a look on 'Tricks and Tips', I'm certain they'll be a thread on the subject. If not, I'll eat my hat (although I'll have to buy one first).

Edit: correction, it'll be in 'Tools & Tips'.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 2

+ 1 for Micro Sol (I don't bother with the 'Set' myself); alternatively, if you find it easier to get, Humbrol Decalfix seems to work okay though it is a bit 'hotter' than Micro Sol and I've read reports of adverse effects with some brands of acrylic paint - Tamiya I think, but perhaps only certain colours. Lately I've been using Mr Mark Softer which I think I got from MDC a long time ago, it's very 'hot' but the Airfix transfers can take it, I have seen it literally melt some transfers :yikes:

I believe some of our forum-peers have recommended Daco softeners which come in three strengths, I've just ordered some of the strong stuff... postage makes it is a little pricey but if it is noticeably better than anything else... well that counts for a lot.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Cheers chap's, I think I will have a look for some sol!

Below is a small update of QJ-W's bottom... 2.5 coats of hu65

FB100937-3D95-4743-9EEB-0361332AE802_zps

When ever I use enamels I do enjoy them! But they take far to much time that I don't have and stink out the kitchen.... oh well

I also started a bit more detail on the little bits.... now I have found thin copper wire, do I add in cabling to the wheels... Hmmmm

602ABCF2-5A87-49BA-B83C-C214FBD25591_zps

F2C4D96A-0E2F-43BD-93FE-A1A1AA532793_zps

So that is shallot.....

Rob

• Like 5

'Stink' is such a prejudicial word Rob; enamels have a distinctive aroma.

Your Mk.I is looking lovely - as for the brake cables, I wouldn't bother myself but I haven't looked at the undersides of any of my Spitfires since I photographed them for RFI... perhaps I would have done if I had added the brake cables, perhaps not...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

More excellent brush work from you Rob.

+1 :goodjob: THe 2 1/2 coats look just spot on! :clap:

As opposed to Stew, I vote for fitting in the break cables, but that's me ... :frantic:

Ciao

• Like 1

+1 :goodjob: THe 2 1/2 coats look just spot on! :clap:

As opposed to Stew, I vote for fitting in the break cables, but that's me ... :frantic:

Ciao

Giemme.... I was expecting this result from yourself! I think I may give it a little go just to see if I can....

Stew cheers, they do have a very distinctive aroma, one that requires good ventilation and can make the wife angry if I use them in the front room while she watches tv....unfortunate. As for the brake cables, it's a good point, but please see above...

Cookie, very kind of you to say! Have to say I am also loving your build... That corsair on top, it looks like 'tiny' the big angry body guard at a beauty queen contest....I mean that in a good way

Rob

• Like 2

Cookie, very kind of you to say! Have to say I am also loving your build... That corsair on top, it looks like 'tiny' the big angry body guard at a beauty queen contest....I mean that in a good way

I had the same thought :D :D :D

Ciao

• Like 2

That corsair on top, it looks like 'tiny' the big angry body guard at a beauty queen contest....I mean that in a good way

I had the same thought :D :D :D

Ciao

Ha! The thread has now been appropriately re-titled.

Rob, I think you should do the brake cables as well, just so I can learn how too! Although, your point is well taken Stew.

• Like 1

Alright you lot brake it up Rob! Ha, see what I did there? :lol: No? Oh well :door:

I say add the brake lines; good practice for other kits with more prominent hoses and one of those subtle touches that add so much to a good model and elevate it to a great one.

As an enamel fan even I'd admit they have a certain pungency.

• Like 2

You go with the brake cables Rob, I am possibly known by now for my laziness and as such am not really a suitable example to follow except perhaps for those seeking the path of least resistance. I've got a few little reels of copper wire myself, I think they are meant for fly-fishing or something... don't know quite how that works but I have hardly ever used them anyway :lol:

So am I alone then in liking the smell of enamels? It transports me back to my carefree childhood when we were allowed to inhale - albeit inadvertently - all kinds of heady and/or noxious fumes in the pursuit of our hobby ;)

Umm... yes. Oh yes, brake cables. Go for it Rob :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Cheers chaps,

John I will take the advice on the white primer as I have a catalina planned in my future and would not be keen on brush painting that!

Stix, cheers for the comments, I will keep you posted on primer use for the next build....maybe the p-47 GB. I have painted and used rattle can primer on my 1/48 Malta spit, which worked well but I felt it might be a bit much in this scale.... Let find out!

Sean cheers mate I appreciate it, I am looking forward to how these turn out! Hoping the transfer process is a good one

Cookie, cheers! I will get the HU30 on and then get these micro meshed which should help give them a cleaner finish ready for transfers.

Hu65 enamel is on the bottom of QJ-W, probably needs another touch up. Photos will go up tomorrow.

Rob

You could also try Mr. Mark softer and Mr. Mark setter. Hot but they make decal lie down and play dead like you wouldn't believe. Nice hairy stick work, the trio is coming on nicely :goodjob:

• Like 1

Cheers all for the comments!

Col, I agree it's good practice for other projects I would like to do! Also a cracking joke.... Well done that man.

Stew I like the smell of enamel paint it really takes me back as that's all I used as a kid.... My wife oddly never did models as a kid so is not so nostalgic about these things.... Also odd to think little ones taking up the hobby today won't have that emotion as they will be using acrylic based paints, shame for them as memories like that are great.

Ced, cheers! Brake pipes have been added to QJ-W with relative ease I will post progress tonight, she is also on her own feet!

Julian, I will have a look at that, I trust your opinion as I have known you to make the odd model that OK 😉

• Like 2

So chaps as promised, progress shots of the brake cables being added.

I used bare copper wire from a company called, 'the scientific wire company' and is down as 30 swg 0.315mm.

I measured out he right length just by holding it against the wheel, then using tweezers I bent it into the correct shape....

11BF8980-8A89-4077-9BB7-6A8CFD211A6D_zps

I then painted it with tamiya acrylic matt black and glued it to the leg of the UC.

20151211_231512_zpsb49yjjvu.jpg

Added the wheel

B7C230DA-A713-44C0-80C3-4913186B717D_zps

And then glued the whole leg in place

20151211_231632_zpsdt67rgdr.jpg

And that, all, is where we are! Just need the others done! And as you can see I repeated the process on the other wheel

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 6