Hello all,

This is the next project which should (!) Be an easy one....

For the BofB GB I did three hurricanes, these didn't get completed, which meant I also didn't even start the spitfire's! I had planned on building two from the Xtradecals 75th BofB sheet, so these are still going a had but in here....

Joining them will be a guest from the airfix bbmf that was given to me when I left my old job... what a kind bunch they are.

So first up is the airfix mki spitfire boxing of DW-K

86257CC8-A5C6-4C8E-948A-ECD091127B44_zps

This will be be oob apart from using the Xtradecals set below

BD838E13-54B1-4ED8-9CF8-F66374DAEFA8_zps

I wanted something a bit different so went for GR-U as it still has the old style roundels and black/white/aluminium.

Next up is the bbmf mki/ii spitfire boxing, this comes with transfers for a mki kit from the BofB but again waned something different from normal sky/DE/DG so kit and transfers option below.

2DC3383C-ECF0-47B2-BCC1-EF54B7202074_zps

A4C197CC-552B-4B73-A5EA-82CC86C144DC_zps

Last up is the airfix pr mkxix spitfire from the bbmf boxing, this one is going to be a gift to my sister for my nephews room and will have his initials on the wings. Pic's below

CC1A6709-76FA-46F8-8EAE-2D1C4932D490_zps

8E246297-B64E-4388-84CC-53B51E03F729_zps

I plan to get some work done over the weekend so will post as soon as i get it done, I also plan to get these finished before Christmas.

Feel free to tag along!

Rob

• Like 8

Cheers chaps!

Simon, the transfer sheets are brilliant, I only have a few options left on mine as I had to use bits from all the others to complete the Hurricanes. I left these two well along as I liked them the most.

Rob, the kits are great and very much recommended for bulk builds! The Mk xix kit is nice, I built it last year in its Swedish markings , but I think I will have a look at some reference pics as I don't trust the colour call out or that there is 0 detail in the wheel wells!?

Any how tomorrow should be a good day to get cracking

Rob

After just finding out Edgar has passed away I think the two spitfire mki's will be made in memory of him and the great help he has been to anyone building a spitfire... Or needing info or a chat about any model!

My thoughts are with his friends and family at such a terrible time.

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 3

Simon, the transfer sheets are brilliant, I only have a few options left on mine as I had to use bits from all the others to complete the Hurricanes. I left these two well along as I liked them the most.

Rob

There are some really interesting options on both sheets.

I've made four from Part 2 and have three 'in production'. I'll probably do every one from Part 1.

• Like 1

There are some really interesting options on both sheets.

I've made four from Part 2 and have three 'in production'. I'll probably do every one from Part 1.

I know you don't post so won't ask you to.

Part one is great but the two above I really liked so went with part two. The one with what looks like an odd penguin on is especially important as my little boy is obsessed with them (we have just bought him a penguin onesie which has sent him through the roof) so I could not resist.

Anyway I am drunk and just turned up to a party in a stretch hummer so should stop posting really! Good night chaps and wish me luck

Rob

• Like 1

I know you don't post so won't ask you to.

Funnily enough, I've opened a Photobucket account and taken some photographs of my most recent builds. Looking at the photos has only increased my desire not to post. They look great when I'm not wearing my glasses, okay when I am and, terrible when viewed close-up.

Part one is great but the two above I really liked so went with part two. The one with what looks like an odd penguin on is especially important as my little boy is obsessed with them (we have just bought him a penguin onesie which has sent him through the roof) so I could not resist.

Anyway I am drunk and just turned up to a party in a stretch hummer so should stop posting really! Good night chaps and wish me luck

The two you are doing are from Part 1... I think the second paragraph explains the confusion. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I find a poor quality camera and distance does wonders...

You are of course correct on the whole part 1 or 2 thing! And I will rest heavily on my state at the time of posting and not being near the sheet at the time.... In fact I blame stew! Didn't he do 6, 3 from from each sheet?! But I could be wrong again...

I have done some work on these, not work I am overly proud of as I had real trouble with getting the paint to adhere even though I had washed and wiped with surgical spirit it still beaded.

I will post pic's soon as I get a chance

Rob

I find a poor quality camera and distance does wonders...

That applies to photos of myself as well as Spitfires.

You are of course correct on the whole part 1 or 2 thing! And I will rest heavily on my state at the time of posting and not being near the sheet at the time.... In fact I blame stew! Didn't he do 6, 3 from from each sheet?! But I could be wrong again...

I did have the sheet to hand and hadn't had a drink... unlike now. I think Stew did six in one go. I'd get too confused, although I have three on the go at the moment (plus an AZ IX and a Sword VC).

I have done some work on these, not work I am overly proud of as I had real trouble with getting the paint to adhere even though I had washed and wiped with surgical spirit it still beaded.

I assume you're using acrylic. I had a small mishap with the one I've just started... gluing the wings to the fuselage and using tape to hold them in place, glue got under the tape. Still, nothing some careful sanding can't cure.

I will post pic's soon as I get a chance

I look forward to seeing them.

• Like 2

Sooooo, as I have said I have done a little bit of work on the cp's of the two mki's.

I have had a bit of trouble with getting the paint to adhere, and yes Simon you are bob on with my poison being acrylics. I gave the surfaces a clean and then a wipe with surgical spirit before hand but the paint just kept Beeding in the plastic! Any way the result is not perfect and there is still work to be done.....

So here are the pics

8A211EFA-020D-483C-A478-0BF6118DAEA8_zps

33FBDA79-5CBE-475D-BD9D-C711293F611B_zps

3D12FAEC-71B7-4C5F-B260-DA0523082DA3_zps

The poor quality of the paint work is most visible on the above seats. I plan to get the rest of the details painted and washed, mini seat belts a deed and maybe even the back plate fitted this week so I can seal these bad boys then start on the Mk xix

Cheers all for the above comments!

Simon you sound like you have a lot of builds on the go! And a lot of spitfire's. ... anyone would think you are a fan!?

Giemme cheers for popping along! I think considering the detail you add to you builds your pace is blistering!

Rob

• Like 5

Sooooo, as I have said I have done a little bit of work on the cp's of the two mki's.
I have had a bit of trouble with getting the paint to adhere, and yes Simon you are bob on with my poison being acrylics. I gave the surfaces a clean and then a wipe with surgical spirit before hand but the paint just kept Beeding in the plastic! Any way the result is not perfect and there is still work to be done.....

I used to use acrylics in my former life as an assembler of 1/35 AFVs but always used a primer. Since converting to 1/72 aircraft, I've used enamels (because I like the smell) so the only trouble I have is when I don't wait long enough between coats and the thinners I use lift the paint.

It all looks okay to me but, perhaps, your standards are higher than mine. :winkgrin:

Simon you sound like you have a lot of builds on the go! And a lot of spitfire's. ... anyone would think you are a fan!?

I didn't mention the Vought Kingfisher, Fairy Fulmar, two Hurricanes, Mosquito, Hellcat, two Tommahawks and Blenheim I that have stalled.

Oh also Simon, i'm interested to know what your decking your spit VC as?

Rob

It's X.UP of No79 Sqn RAAF... I messed-up the transfers and had the good fortune to find a member on here who was willing to make a swap.

• Like 1

Hi Rob. Good to see some progress on these but it's a shame about the paint. Can I ask what paints you are using? You indicate you have washed the plastic beforehand - one of the things I learnt a while back was to only use a minimal amount of washing up liquid and to make sure everything is really rinsed off thoroughly. Apparently any traces of the washing up liquid left on the surface can cause similar problems to what you have had - although you mention you used surgical spirit as well. I don't use primer (I know I shouldn't be admitting this!!) and I find that thinned Humbrol or Revell paints seem to apply quite well as long as they are not too thinned down. I only ever thin them down with water. It might be worth having an experimental go on some on parts of the sprues before doing the paintwork on the outer surfaces.

Good luck!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

How did I miss this one? Better late than never :popcorn:

Is the paint beading or drying lumpy? Is your brush clean? Rather than surgical spirit I'm using IPA now, cheap(ish) tin from Maplins. Surgical spirit is sometimes a bit greasy isn't it? I don't bother washing me parts now... internals painted uncleaned and outers wiped with IPA on a paper towel after sanding - takes the sanding dust off too!

• Like 2

How did I miss this one? Better late than never :popcorn:

Is the paint beading or drying lumpy? Is your brush clean? Rather than surgical spirit I'm using IPA now, cheap(ish) tin from Maplins. Surgical spirit is sometimes a bit greasy isn't it? I don't bother washing me parts now... internals painted uncleaned and outers wiped with IPA on a paper towel after sanding - takes the sanding dust off too!

IPA! heavens I have loads of the stuff at home, bottles! What do you use?? A dab of Meantime maybe?? Or do you not go by brand? I might even have a swig in between wipes....

It was beading and then dried in the above state.

Stix, I don't normally wash my bits.....just go ahead and paint. I will take on board what you have put above as the finish you achieve is very good and it's with my chosen medium of hairy stick and acrylics.... Still can't find that magic wand on eBay mind! I will keep looking 😉

Edited by rob85
  • Like 3