1/35 Accurate Armour Stallwart with UBRE

Engineer66

Hello folks,

I was looking for something to work on whilst the paint and filler dries on my P-47 build and thought it was about high time I tackled an Armour build. I was contemplating the stash and it was a toss up between the AFV Club FV101 or the Accurate Armour Stolly with UBRE load. Well after spending some time looking in the boxes I chose the Stolly, and also because at Croft Circuit Nostalgia day this year I managed to take a load of photo's of the a real one, and managed to blag a 'sit in the drivers seat' when it was parked up!

I thought if Internet Explorer is brave enough to ask me if I want it to be my default browser then I'm brave enough to attempt my first resin kit!

Anyway here is the box and its contents...

First the box and what it should look like after I've finished super gluing bits of it to my fingers and dipped it in green paint.

Apologies for the poor pictures, I was using my phone camera, and my idea to photograph green resin bits on a green background wasn't my brightest one of the day (I'd say i'm definitely a penny chew short of a lucky bag!)

Stolly%20Box.jpg

After removing the polystyrene quavers this is what you get in said box...

Stolly%20bags.jpg

The resin parts for the Stolly unbagged...

Stolly%20parts.jpg

That's a lot of parts for what appears to be a simple vehicle with no engine or transmission detail on view!

And the etched parts etc...

Stolly%20etched%20parts.jpg

I've only shown the Stolly parts here, I'll save the UBRE parts for later in the thread when i get around to building that part.

I'll post more as I start to put it together.

Wish me luck I'm going in!

Al

Edited by Engineer66
  • Like 9

Good luck, plenty of pics, stock up on super glue and mind the dust. I'm considering what to do next myself, possibly an AA conversion I have stashed, we will see. Depends if I get the resin bug from this thread.

• Like 1

Thanks,

Not too deep a muddy puddle Badder! I am planning to weather it but not too overdone. However the depth of the muddy puddle will depend on how successful I am at getting all six wheels to touch the ground!

The plan is to maybe include it in a diorama with the AFV Club Scorpion, not too sure yet.

Al

• Like 2

Hi folks, it's update time...

I made a start on cleaning up the main hull casting (that must be the first time I've used the word 'hull' when talking about a truck!) and noticed that the back edge of the floor was a tad on the rough side and most definitely not square and straight. Probably where it was 'removed' from the pour block. The outermost rear corners of the floor also bent down slightly to the sides, for such a large casting everything else was spot on.

20151122_4.jpg

At the same time I also noticed quite a few score marks and pin holes around the detail on the rear panel, which would need attention.

There was only one way forward and that was to start at the back! I decided to remove the molded on detail, and replace it once I had the back edge sorted out. Some of it (mainly the two square sections below the edge) would need to be removed anyway, to allow me to repair the floor edge.

So in true Stolly style it had a bit of a dip in the (hot) water to straighten out its saggy bum! here it is after a dunk and some gentle pursausion followed by a bit of work with the scalpel, plasticard and filler. Edge rebuilt and detail reinstated as per my reference photo.

20151122_12.jpg

The big difference between the model and the full size is the two circular things on the rear panel. AA have molded them as two plain discs, whereas on the full size vehicle one appears to be a blanked of tube and the other has what appears to be a screw on cap fitted. Five minutes with my new punch set sorted that one out :) The other fittings will be added later, there's too much of a risk of accidentally removing them at this stage.

Here's a pic of the real deal, compare that with the first pic.

20150809_1.jpg

And in case anyone didn't know what a Stolly looked like here's a real one (just an excuse to include a photo of my prototype :winkgrin: )

20150809_15.jpg

I've made a start on fitting the suspension, some of which can be seen in pic two. If I get any more time on this wee beastie after tea I'll post some pics of progress so far.

thanks for looking

Al

• Like 2

Whoever said this was a "simple" vehicle? :) Always liked the look of the Stolly so will be following with interest!

Only 'simple' from an appearance point of view

Looks can be deceiving, under the skin these vehicles are a lot more complicated than they seem!

Al

Based the Sarason and Saladin on the same chassis didn't they? Looking good so far though!

Indeed, apparently the Saracen came first then Alvis decided to see what else they could use the chassis for and came up with the Saracen, the Salamander Airfield crash tender, then eventually the Stolly.

I wouldn't mind having a go at scratch building a Salamander. I wonder if AA could be persuaded to sell me the wheels and suspension parts only from their Saracen kit?

thanks for the comments

Al

Edited by Engineer66
  • Like 1

Indeed, apparently the Saracen came first then Alvis decided to see what else they could use the chassis for and came up with the Saracen, the Salamander Airfield crash tender, then eventually the Stolly.

I wouldn't mind having a go at scratch building a Salamander. I wonder if AA could be persuaded to sell me the wheels and suspension parts only from their Saracen kit?

thanks for the comments

Al

I've bought spares from Derek. If the bits you want come on the same resin spruce then he will flog the whole spruce. If its more than one spruce, it will be costly. Wheels he will sell as they are molded separately so he will flog you them. Anything for Money....

Edited by simmerit

Looking forward to seeing this come together. Will be watching closely at the UBRE pod and trying to remember my way about the real kit ! Was trained for it but only used the equipment on a couple of exercises but brings back fond memories of fuel smells, earth bonding and rubber gear.

Smells, bonding and rubber gear ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ha ha ha ha I digress !!!!!

Never saw the Stalwart in my travels other than at Alton Towers as an ornament (such a shame) but they do look great too.

Will be following this one

Nige

• Like 1

Thanks Chaps,

No updates at the moment as I am working (four on - four off) so no time at the present for progress, but only have one day in left, so should make some more progress soon. I have got most of the suspension fitted so should have some pics up in a couple of days.

Cheers

Al

• Like 1

Evening Chaps,

Just a brief update for tonight as I've not managed to get much done on the Stolly due to other commitments taking up my time. (I currently carry out model railway and Scalextric repairs for my local model shop, so they have to take priority over plastic resin bashing during my spare time. I'm not complaining, as it funds my hobbies :thumbsup: )

Anyway back to the Stolly...

I have managed to fit all the wishbones and hubs. There was a bit of a challenge here, trying to get them all to line up and sit level. I think I have managed to get all six wheels to touch the ground, but she seems to sit with a slightly nose up attitude, about 1.5mm higher at the front. I think I can fudge around this one when I put it into the diorama. It's my fault as I didn't locate the front and centre suspension units properly, I lined them all up at the bottom, not along the tops. And some of the lower wishbones needed a 'tweak' with warm water to open the gap from the upper wishbones to be able to fit the hubs in place. :banghead:I couldn't move the upper wishbones as the dampers are in the way.

Anyway here's one side with the torsion bars in place.

I decided not to use the kit parts as I couldn't be bothered to clean them up, I used some same diameter rod and wrapped a 0.5 wide strip of Tamiya tape around them to simulate the gaiters on the full size. In the photo, the bars look wonky, but they are actually in a straight line, honest!

20151206_20.jpg

There's still a bit of cleaning up to do, and some of the 'dampers' need a bit of work as they no longer touch the lower wishbones!

Also in the photo is one of my own inventions, the 'Micro Pitchfork'

This is a custom tool for applying precise amounts of cyano to the model (it would also work with liquid poly and TET as well). I took a short length of 6mm wooden dowel (Left over from a mock TV aerial from last years office Christmas decorations!- pictures available on request ) and drilled a 0.7mm hole down the centre at one end. I then cyano'd a sewing needle into the hole, pointy end first, pushing it in for about a third of it's length. (The source of my sewing needles must remain a closely guarded secret, SWMBO might be reading!)

The next bit is the tricky bit, using my bench grinder i ground off about about half of the eye leaving a fork shape at the end of the needle, finally cleaning off any burrs with a very small file.

I now have two small tools perfect for transferring very small amounts of cyano.

20151206_22.jpg

Well that's about it for tonight, and for the next few days as I am back at work tomorrow. Hopefully more progress to report next weekend.

Thanks for looking

Al

Edited by Engineer66
  • Like 4