1/72nd scale RAF Marauder`s,..Mk.I & B-26B,..14 Sqn, Med 1943-44- from SAM

The Marauder has been a favourite of mine ever since building the Airfix kit as a nipper. Both models look really great but I have to say that the top one is my favourite, like somebody has already said it does look strangely modern in those colours.

Very well done for finding out about that paint scheme as well.

• Like 1

Cheers again everybody for your kind words,

Have been trying to locate the Monogram Snap-Tite for quite a while. Had given up. Where did you come by it, if I may ask? Lovely work, by the way.

I`ve had it in the stash for years I`m afraid and have been building it on and off for over five of those, so I`m sorry but I`ve forgotten where I got it from. Have you tried some of the second hand dealers like Kingkit etc? They crop up on e bay too and here is one although the postage is rather steep;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monogram-B-26-Marauder-Snap-Tite-Model-Kit-1978-/252172641013?hash=item3ab6a922f5:g:wAsAAOSwcdBWSUaX

Keep looking and I`m sure you`ll find one,...good luck,....however,.....it is a really basic kit and not really worth more than pocket money prices and I would suggest you looking at the Valom range instead and you get far more for your money,

Cheers

Tony.

Edited by tonyot

Lovely builds Tony. I've got the Valom kit, was rather looking forward to building it in Desert camo but looks like I might have to revise my plans. I can see that a copy of the mag is a bit compulsory. I always enjoy your articles anyway, not just read about your research, in fact for much more than just that. :) I should ask, what issue was this in? I can't get this mag local so have to make a short trip to get them & its easier to ring & ask if they have it.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Lovely builds Tony. I've got the Valom kit, was rather looking forward to building it in Desert camo but looks like I might have to revise my plans. I can see that a copy of the mag is a bit compulsory. I always enjoy your articles anyway, not just read about your research, in fact for much more than just that. :) I should ask, what issue was this in? I can't get this mag local so have to make a short trip to get them & its easier to ring & ask if they have it.

Steve.

Hiya Steve,

I`ve sent you a PM. The historical article was in the November issue of SAM and the modelling article is in the December issue.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

On 21/11/2015 at 11:48 PM, Knight_Flyer said:

Great builds both of them. Hopefully I can look at building a B-26 after I had more practice and the stash goes down some more.

Thanks very much,...I`m sure you`ll be fine! I have also re instated the photos as I noticed that they were a victim of the Photobucket disaster,

All the best

Tony 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Thanks very much,...I`m sure you`ll be fine! I have also re instated the photos as I noticed that they were a victim of the Photobucket disaster,

All the best

Tony 

Thanks for the encouragement :) Photobucket has a lot to answer for (he says shaking his fist), I do a fair amount of online research for my builds and more often than not I can't see the period photos because they were hosted on PB.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Shide58 said:

Hi, I'm intending to do a similar build using the 1/48 revell kit,

link to the conversion, 

the early models were considerably different airframes to the one represented in the 1/48th kit (originally Monogram) , they have a smaller outer wing, tail planes and tail fin.  

there is a photo in the link of how the torpedo is mounted.

HTH

• Like 1

No, only the Mk.Is.  A comparative handful, mainly if not all with 14 Sq,  It was produced in 1/72 as a Monogram snap-together kit.  However I think the rear gun position varied and the British ones were different to the kit.  Also, I believe that the SAAF ones were all later marks - but can't confirm that.  The vast majority certainly.

2 hours ago, Shide58 said:

Thanks for that. Out of interest, were all Marauders supplied to the RAF & SAAF of short wing configuration?

No mate,..... only 14 Sqn and a few training units in the Middle East flew the Mk.I which had the short wings and tail,....... 39 Sqn RAF used the Mk.III,....... and the SAAF used the Mk.II & III.

When 14 Sqn was low on airframes for its own training flight they were loaned early B-26B`s from the USAAF in theatre,....and some were later used operationally.

Cheers

Tony 

On 1/10/2020 at 7:52 PM, Troy Smith said:

link to the conversion, 

the early models were considerably different airframes to the one represented in the 1/48th kit (originally Monogram) , they have a smaller outer wing, tail planes and tail fin.  

there is a photo in the link of how the torpedo is mounted.

HTH

Thanks for helping out and providing the link Troy mate. 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shide58 said:

So did the Mk II & III have the US style rear gun position or Mk I pattern?

The Mk.I had the original rear gun position, as seen on the original USAAF version the B-26 (and as per my Mk.I models),....... the Mk.II had the later position as per later B-26B`s with the glazed section around the guns and the Mk.III last the last style position with the rubber boot around the guns. ...as per my model here;

The few early B-26B`s lent to 14 Sqn by the USAAF had the interim early style with the pointed metal rear section and a glazed twin gun mounting above,.....as per my B-26B model in this thread.

Google should clear up any problems.

Cheers

Tony  

Edited by tonyot

On 1/13/2020 at 3:56 AM, kapam said:

Excellent builds!

I have Hasegawa's Marauder kit in my stash, but I assume the Valom depicts a different marque of the aircraft (??). 🤔

Well done.

:clap2::thumbsup:

Thanks Kapam,...... yes these models represent ealier variants with smaller wings and tail surfaces. The Hasegawa kit is lovely, you will really enjoy it and it depicts the later variants with larger wings and tail surfaces. Here is a Hasegawa kit that I built a while back;

All the best

Tony