Spitfire STGB in Memory of Edgar Brooks chat

The GB forum will remain open but the GB gallery will close as normal at midnight tonight.

Don't all the GB forums remain open after completion with the exception of the Gallery?

But in the rules for this GB it stated:

When: 5th March 2016 to 5th June 2016. As with all Tribute GBs this will never close but move to Completed after the end date.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

So if I understand right we'll not be able to post in the gallery ? A bit disappointing, but if this is how it works we'll live with it. In this case I'd suggest posting the completed model in the general RFI section, maybe with a tag or something in the title to mention this memorial STGB.

As the rest of the GB will remain open, I hope we'll all keep building our Spitfires !

• Like 1

So if I understand right we'll not be able to post in the gallery ?

Certainly not while the poll is ongoing. However after the poll is done and dusted and if there are no objections, we can certainly reopen the gallery. It could then become a permanent gallery for Spitfire builds and a tribute to Edgar.

• Like 3

Certainly not while the poll is ongoing. However after the poll is done and dusted and if there are no objections, we can certainly reopen the gallery. It could then become a permanent gallery for Spitfire builds and a tribute to Edgar.

Sounds like an excellent scheme to me & a fitting tribute to Edgar. :thumbsup:

Steve.

• Like 1

Was an absolute joy to be a part of and I hope it was a fitting tribute to Edgar, also hope to see many more builds to be finished as tribute to Edgar in the coming months, in fact I know there was an airfix mk1 starter at my LHS last time I visited so I may be making a trip to pick it up :)

• Like 4

Was an absolute joy to be a part of and I hope it was a fitting tribute to Edgar, also hope to see many more builds to be finished as tribute to Edgar in the coming months, in fact I know there was an airfix mk1 starter at my LHS last time I visited so I may be making a trip to pick it up :)

That's the attitude ! If you see a Spitfire kit, bring it home, there's plenty of markings for them

Ok, as the STGB is now officially closed, I should say a few words as host..

First of all thanks to all the modellers who took part ! It's been a pleasure to see all the models being built here and I hope that you all enjoyed this group build as I did. The variety of models was very good with some unusual variants and markings. The kits were also the most diverse, from simple to very sophisticated, we've seen resin conversions, OOB builds oldies and superkits.

I believe that the exchange of information has been very good too, we probably all learnt a bit more about Spitfires. This may not be the main scope of a group build but I hope that this aspect was appreciated too.

I never met Edgar and only briefly corresponded with him via email, I have no idea how he would have reacted to what we did, I hope that he'd have found this a fitting way to honour all he did for the modelling community. He would have probably loved to see all these Spitfire models...

And now on to the "second part" of the STGB... please keep posting your builds ! I've got a Seafire to complete myself, better start working on it..

• Like 15

Announcement: it's been decided that there will be no poll for this STGB, the idea being that every build is a tribute to a fellow Britmodeller and for this reason there's no point in determining which is the best model. They are all fitting tributes to Edgar and the contribution he gave to the modelling and aviation enthusiasts communities.

The gallery section will soon be closed and the GB moved to the Completed GBs section. As said before, posts can still be added to show progress on the various builds. I promise that as host I'll keep checking the STGB threads

• Like 9

If it is decided to open the gallery, I would suggest inserting a note saying "Thus endeth the on-time completions." Just as a way of saluting those that actually did manage to complete a build during the official period of the group build.

bob

p.s. My frightfully busy week has become more frightful and more busy, and yet still not "bad". Later today should come the exhale... actually it has already started, in spite of some loose ends such as fetching the car that broke down 1.5 hours from home (but hey, it got fixed, so...)

• Like 1

That would work I reckon Bob & as one such affected, I'd be quite OK with that. As far as I'm concerned, simply to have my effort displayed in the gallery as a tribute to Edgar & his input over the years is quite important to me & I'd imagine, others.

Steve.

• Like 1

The Gallery closure was down to me misunderstanding the nature of the GB. Galleries are usually closed when there is a poll. In this special case, there is no poll as each build is intended to honour Edgar's memory so it would be inappropriate to pick favourites.

Giorgio and I have had a discussion about this. The gallery is now open again so you can all add your completed builds even if they are completed after the end of the GB. Even though the forum will be moved to the completed section, it will remain open for new threads so please feel free to add any new Spitfire builds.

• Like 7

I've had a pretty horrific few weeks work wise, and I've hardly had time to read the forum much less post.

However I would like to add my support to the idea of keeping the GB open in perpetuity, I think that makes for a very fitting tribute.

Send in your Spitfires!

John

• Like 2

I've got the Seafang decalled except for the underwing letters, which i forgot to order from Hannant's :banghead:

They should arrive soon, so I can complete it.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally posted my latest finished entry to the gallery now PB working again, though if a mod reads this I made a code error on the 2nd picture and it won't let me correct it so the picture shows, get the 'you are not allowed to use the image extension' error message

• 3 weeks later...

Finally posted my latest finished entry to the gallery now PB working again, though if a mod reads this I made a code error on the 2nd picture and it won't let me correct it so the picture shows, get the 'you are not allowed to use the image extension' error message

Let me look into it...