Polar Lights Captain America

Okay so this is the latest build I'm working on, had wanted to start my mech project but I snuck this one in at the last minute as a christmas present for my older brother. He mentioned wanting me to do a captain america for him ages ago but hasn't mentioned it since, so hopefully will be a nice surprise.

I'll be honest from the start, I dont really like this kit, I know its based on a comic cover, but I think the way the figure is on the base just looks weird ant the clear water splash looks awful imo.

So the kit base will go in the spares, im planning on just having the base as a captain america shield with a bit of the wall still on it as he is in a vaulting over pose.

20151110_132410_zpscio3u32d.jpg

Got the main bits together with some tamiya extra thin

20151110_134742_zpshhonqjxt.jpg

Some really horrible seams on here, fits not that great, so its out with the putty!

20151113_134709_zpslfn0b6wh.jpg

And then its sanding time!

20151117_132923_zpsrg8e6lei.jpg

20151117_134156_zpsr4hukivx.jpg

And thats still what I'm doing at the minute, sanding the hell out of the seams ready to prime, hoping this should be a quick project (the famous last words!!)

Thanks for looking, more soon :)

• Like 1

I think most of the polar lights figures need a bucket full of filler!

Looks good so far.

Cheers,

Warren

Thanks Warren! Yeah definitely but I think I'm going to need a bigger bucket with this one! :lol:

Always enjoy your figure builds - you seem to have a knack for getting good results from pretty terrible kits :)

Cheers Will, appreciate the compliment mate. Its funny I was thinking the same of you when looking at your guncannon build, just goes to show with a bit of effort you can make old kits sing! :)

Not much to report, still sanding away at the seams, this is by far my favourite part of modelling **sarcasm detector explodes** :D

• Like 2

Cheers Will, appreciate the compliment mate. Its funny I was thinking the same of you when looking at your guncannon build, just goes to show with a bit of effort you can make old kits sing!

Heh, the Guncannon is only about 15 years old (and Japanese, so the fit is great) - this one is presumably from the '60s?

Will

Is this a 're-pop of the original Aurora kit?

Yes it is dude

Heh, the Guncannon is only about 15 years old (and Japanese, so the fit is great) - this one is presumably from the '60s?

Will

Oh right, dont know why I thought it was older, guess its because to me it has a cool retro tin robot look which I really like, and man dont mention the excellent Japanese fit, its like night and day going from the Bandai Tiger II to this! :lol:

And yeah like I said to Carts the kit is a reissue of the aurora 60's one that polar lights released in 2011 so yeah its basically a 60's kit with a 60's fit!

Just a small update to show some progress, I'm still sanding the crap out of it, got the legs hands and feet sorted, but before I start the body I made a base.

Like I said I really dont like the kit base so I made my own, from the face of a sublimation printed clock kit I "borrowed" from work, and a captain america shield image I printed and cut using my machine at work.

20151124_130842_zpsaqcynmry.jpg

Used a modern shield design, thought it would look cool with the classic suit, got a couple of little air bubbles when I laid it down with application tape, but I can tease them out by piercing the vinyl with the tip of a scalpel blade.

I'm hoping the sanding will be done soon, then I'll prime it, when it comes to the seams going over his chainmail think it will be easier to just sculpt some greenstuff over it.

• Like 1

Phew getting there slowly with this build, still sanding the crap out of Cap. I've nearly used up my sandpaper and the squadron white is almost finished but I have some clear seams.

I've just been adding putty sanding down, then spraying primer to check and re do as needed.

20151125_134624_zpsoi7wzkp7.jpg

I'm hoping I'm on the last round of sanding, just got a few little bits to re sand on the side of his neck the glove and the sides of the body.

20151126_134229_zpsdng5lvjw.jpg

20151126_134248_zpsw1uht9fh.jpg

20151126_134256_zpshhq6ecxs.jpg

So its getting there, I've not touched the seams that go over the chain mail, as I'll just file the crap out of them and sculpt greenstuff chain mail bits to cover it. I felt pretty stupid after I'd put the putty over there too, as I suddenly though if your doing that anyway why bother with the putty?? :mental:

Also been thinking about the blue, for the chain mail I may do that metalic as it is shown in the comics like that these days. Hmm we'll see.

• Like 2

Okay, all seams are now sorted, except for the chainmail ones which I'm currently working on now, used a technique I frist tried on the scaley skin of the green goblins arms in a dio I did many many moons ago

GoblinSpidey1.jpg

Basically I start with a sausage of greenstuff

20151201_133447_zpsh4jsf2kc.jpg

Smear it down from the edges with a flat sculpting tool

20151201_133726_zpspxwonyjh.jpg

Then carve in a chainmail pattern

20151201_134606_zpsy8qoovhv.jpg

Then prime

20151201_134728_zpsomfbavzi.jpg

Once its painted over it will blend in a lot nicer than a big seam line, and there was a lot of flat detail around the seam edge anyway, its not a super pretty/complicated technique but it works for me.

Next up I can get the rest done then finally I can start slinging some paint!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've neglected this wip for long enough! Thanks to a big dose of flu and the family keeping me busy haven't had much of a chance to do a lot, butbthe Christmases deadline is looming so im back on it with a vengeance

Ive been brush painting it with enamels, which is nice to go back to after the airbrush became my main man. Here's the pics of how its been

20151203_134303_zpsmmt37qki.jpg

20151217_131515_zpsnwelcbzs.jpg

20151218_134317_zps38nxcl24.jpg

20151221_133423_zps52pnnbil.jpg

20151221_134400_zpsfjvwzjcp.jpg

20151218_134309_zpsao1jfb0w.jpg

Not sure if I'll get this done in time to give it to my brother on Christmas but a couple of days late wont hurt.

Next up i just have to getmore whit on the shield and the red stripes on the torso as well as of course more blue; all of which needs two coats. Yikes!

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words guys, really appreciate it! Always feels good when i can still get my hand steady for details!

Was hoping to get another session in but received a mild concussion from a work accident yesterday (nothing serious) and after a few hours in a&e didn't feel up to concentrating on painting!

So im going to miss my Christmas deadline but not by much i think, I'll just showy brother what im doing and sure he'll be pleased anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to make myself feel better at how much I’ve dragged my feet on this one!! Christmas is out of the way and my head is much better so no more excuses.

Been a looooong time since I did a strictly brush project and forgot how time consuming building up shades of red and white can be, for the most part its all fine but the shield was giving me problems so in the end I’ve blasted over the whole thing with some white primer I bought (should have used it in the first place!!) so its evened out the white and means my red will be nice and bright.

20160105_093239_zpsa89n253o.jpg

I also did the legs and glued them in place and neatened up the eyes and got the pupils dotted in, so in terms of straight up painting I just need to finish the shield and get the black belt and red stripes on his torso

20160105_093321_zpsbtaxcly1.jpg

20160105_093904_zpsgndaps61.jpg

So its getting there, want to get this done asap, (1) because its my brothers now late christmas present! and (2) got some mech kits for christmas and have lots of ideas I want to get cracking with!

Another little update, got the hairy sticks out and got the red stripes on, then more blue round the edge to neaten it and got the black belt done

20160107_133957_zpsvkkctblh.jpg

20160107_133945_zps6gi8bw0t.jpg

Next up I'll get the red and dark blue on his shield, finally feel like I've got my mojo back with this build!

• Like 2

Yeah it really helps with the dynamic pose, very super soldier!

Got a the feet glued in place and the silver buckle is done

20160108_132856_zpsi6r86mx5.jpg

And made a start on the shield, got the dark blue down around the star, set my hand to steady again!

20160108_132843_zps2nvo0ddl.jpg

Only bit of basic painting left is the red on the shield, the leather shield straps on his glove and a dark steel colour for the back of the shield, when thats done I'll use pigments to add shading. Trying to get a move on with this, I have a super metroid themed build coming that I cant wait to get cracking with

More shed time today!

So i gave the shield a couple of coats of red then brushed over some future, it looks a bit messy between colours as there are deep panel lines I'll put a black wash in later which will neaten it

20160110_151658_zpsysfrndaz.jpg

20160112_133700_zpswgeiays5.jpg

I got his right hand on and got the straps on the shield holding hang painted.

20160110_151708_zpsxlbaqzcr.jpg

20160110_151725_zpspzidu5y6.jpg

And i did some shading on his face and body with graveyard dirt and old rust mig pigments, not sure if it comes out that well in the pics but im pleased with it.

20160112_132304_zpsliqblqfn.jpg

20160112_133746_zps2rkd8qtl.jpg

20160112_133723_zpstjhdhuos.jpg

So next up I'll put a black wash in the recesses on the shield and give the back of it a dark steel (adamantium??) paint job, then it'll just be a matter of fixing him to the base.

• Like 1