Morane-Saulnier Type N, Revell 1:72 - an effort to correct it!

Brandy

Thanks to all for the feedback, most appreciated!

I got a little further today...although just a small step it makes a big difference.

I added the stitching again, as my first effort had been removed earlier, then gave it all a coat of my newly acquired Misterkit French CDL. It's the first time I've used these paints and it certainly won't be the last - it sprayed beautifully, with no hassle at all!

35549364680_e9735ae975_c.jpg

35767522902_b1bcaabd33_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

btw I visited my local hobby shop this week and they have an OOB build of this for sale which they picked up from the widow of the builder. It's nicely done, but straight out of the box with no corrections - I will try to get comparison shots of the two together when it's done!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

I will try to get comparison shots of the two together when it's done!

I hope you can do that Ian, as it will show me just how wrong mine will look when (if?!) I get around to it!

Those Mr Paint's do seem good, bit pricey but they say you get what you pay for. I think I'll splash out on a few to try after the Christmas spend is out of the way!

Keith

Merry Christmas everyone!

A little more progress, although it came slowly...

I sprayed the black on the front end today, although I ended up doing it 3 times. I had previously used Tamiya rattle can primer, which was no issue with the Misterkit paint, but when I used Modelmaster Acrylic on the nose it turned into a sticky mess and went blotchy. I had to scrape it all off with a knife blade. After cleaning it all up I sprayed Tamiya Black, overthinned so it came out glossy. More than happy with the result but I won't use the Tamiya rattle cans again...

35549321750_3dfc9ab50e_c.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Thanks Col!

I got a couple more small bits done over the last couple of days. One thing I'd forgotten was the grooves in the upper cowling for the MG mounts. Those have now been cut, and of course that means I'll have to repaint....

I managed to find a pack of Aeroclub Hotchkiss mg's but they are a little too big. On comparing them to the plans it appeared that the error was at the breach end so I started by filing down the handle to a more accurate size, and removed the trigger and guard which was way over scale. I then cut the rear end off just aft of the ammo feed, removed about 1mm, and ca'd the rear back on. With the handle bent forward slightly it then gave me a gun that was a lot more accurate. Here it is in front of the uncorrected one:

35549328870_865a22defa_c.jpg

This afternoon I spent a few hours sorting out new main gear legs. I thought of bending the shape and adding the fillets, but ended up cutting them out of 20thou card, then carefully filling and sanding them to shape. I'm very pleased with how they've turned out, and they should be plenty strong enough with the additional centre braces in place.

35805545821_c962146def_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in....time for a beer!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4

Thanks, Hendie!

I have finally made sure that nothing has been missed on the front end: grooves cut for the mg mounts and fuel filler added. Repainting is now complete!

After that was done, I fitted the main landing gear..the spreader bar is made from .020" brass rod with a strip of square section .020" plastic rod on either side. The edges were rounded by gently scraping a knife blade along them.

35805549831_5f7c572c6d_c.jpg

35805547681_4aa0e4dd6c_c.jpg

35549332430_e93ce0286d_c.jpg

35805573801_8597601dfe_c.jpg

I still have to fit the centre struts and mount for the wing bracing wires, they'll be added tomorrow once everything has set overnight.

Thanks for looking in, and Happy New Year to all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4

Thanks gents! Hendie, it is - in every sense of the word, and there's not much fuselage to hold on to while working in it...but you know all about that!

On a roll at the moment.....

I completed the undercarriage today, and then made up the framework for the tailskid, and the brackets for the wing-warping. A little more fettling required with the fit and I may also try to thin the tailskid frame a little - I used the thinnest square rod I have (.020") but I think it's a little thick..... The warping brackets are not drilled, they're made up from two short lengths of .010" x .020" strip sandwiched between two pieces of .020" square rod, the edges then rounded off with a sharp blade - far easier!

35097723404_e7a915a83a_c.jpg

35549328520_58442f2e0c_c.jpg

35805551561_9b849fea89_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

Hi all, another good day at the bench today! I finished the main landing gear with the addition of the small bracket for the wing bracing wires, got the "tidying up" done by smoothing off and blending in the joints where the wing-warping frames meet the fuselage and thinning the tailskid mounts. I then spent a considerable time staring through my magnifier and made the cams and pulley for the wing warping. That has all been drilled and fitted, and everything has now been painted black. A small piece of .015" rod was also added in the cockpit for the "instruments" to be mounted on.

35549320140_e74dd2b904_c.jpg

35805573231_d1f88ca465_c.jpg

35767522562_3ea38eb09c_c.jpg

35805572971_97514231d1_c.jpg

and to round off the afternoon I printed the serial numbers for the tail, and some black lines to add to the fuselage - I'm NOT going to try to paint those! ???

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 6

Thanks for the feedback, folks, much appreciated!

I've had another good day at this today, with almost all the remaining fabrication completed! The gun has been mounted and the mounting frame attached, the kingposts have been made and attached, and the tail skid has been made. I also added a small "L" shape piece at the top of the left maingear leg - I have no clue what it is but it's clearly visible in pics so it went on!

35805546091_f74b600f3d_c.jpg

35549331740_3efacdacc6_c.jpg

35805547451_69fe7cd8a4_c.jpg

I also got it all painted, including touching up the CDL where needed.

35549365240_062dc971f4_c.jpg

35767520932_e26880f64b_c.jpg

35805572421_c536069618_c.jpg

All that's left to make now is the windscreen and the deflectors on the prop! Then it's on with the tail and wings....

Thanks for looking in, and a Happy New Year to all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

Thanks Jake!

A little colour added today, in the form of decals. I'll let it sit now to make sure they're properly set before clear coating them...

35549320640_202e89c3b7_c.jpg

35805549671_dbcc625a34_c.jpg

National insignia are Microscale, the MS logos are the kit items. They're a little oversize but better than nothing. The tail numbers and black trim stripes are home made.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian
Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 8

Another milestone reached today!

I got the last two scratchbuilt parts done - the windscreen and bullet deflectors, and fitted the engine and wings.

Tomorrow I'll get some rigging on them to give them a little much-needed support!

35549331430_c1c2c09df9_c.jpg

35097723074_c10721ff2e_c.jpg

35549327970_7376a0c0b7_c.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 7

The tail numbers and black trim stripes are home made.

Hi Ian, truely an inspiring build wich looks like it will turn out a real gemn.

Can you explain how you made the dacals (?) for the markings? i'm very interested to learn more about that subject as some of my builds still lack marings

Thanks guys, glad you're enjoying it!

@Lunarhighway - the only markings I made for this were the black lines running down the fuselage, and the tail numbers. I use LibreOffice (a free package very similar to Microsoft Office) to draw the lines, or write the numbers, then print on decal paper using my inkjet printer. I used Testors decal paper which I'm really not pleased with as it's very thick and doesn't trim easily. Someone on another forum suggested Micromark decal paper so I'll get some of that for next time. Just be sure to get the paper that suits your printer - it's available for either inkjet or laser printers.

Hope that helps!

Ian

• Like 1