Bf109G6 Major Ludwig Franzisket, I/JG27. Eduard 1/48

Here is another of my occasional 1/48 builds, the Eduard Messerschmitt Bf109G6. A lot has been posted online about the accuracy of this kit and building it alongside 2 other 109s the difference in size is instantly apparent. As a 109 fan I was rather disappointed initially but once I started building that disappointment all but vanished as the kit is a delight to build with superb detail inside and on the surface so it's portliness is forgiven on this occasion. Other than sand off the strange bumps at the wing root everything else is OOB including the strange undercarriage leg angle.

I painted this one as Major Franzisket's aircraft as the other decal options all have some issues, several were ERLA built G6s so should have had the extra cowl bulges on the right side but Eduard didn't include them and one of the options colour schemes is actually a mixture of 2 aircraft from different factories.

I've gone a bit overboard with the weathering as the photos I've seen showed this aircraft to be very clean, I'll put it down to artist licence.

IMG_1869_zpsm3h8tduo-L.jpg

IMG_1870_zpseg97dad1-L.jpg

IMG_1871_zpstwgobrsi-L.jpg

IMG_1873_zpswdjqja6p-L.jpg

IMG_1885_zpsp1zojhui-L.jpg

IMG_1888_zpshniyzbqp-L.jpg

IMG_1895_zps8xiklmae-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 37

:wow: That looks seriously good! Great weathering too, even if on an "artist licence" :winkgrin:

The way you weathered the wheels suggests me that I can improve them on my current build ... :hmmm:

Ciao

• Like 1

Beautiful work, Duncan! :)

I have one of the AZ 109G6 kits in my stash (had to buy it as it has Mickey Mouse markings). Your work here makes me want to move it closer to the top of the heap.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

That's an excellent 109 Duncan! The paintwork is superb & the weathering just right - subtle, but just enough. I especially like the light chipping you've applied in areas that would have been subject to flying stones & grit, such as the front of the drop tank :)

Cheers

Patrick

• Like 1

Very nice indeed,.....great paintwork and you would never guess that it is only 1/48th scale,........oh thats right,...it isn`t!!! :whistle:

Still looks great though!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Very nice indeed,.....great paintwork and you would never guess that it is only 1/48th scale,........oh thats right,...it isn`t!!! :whistle:

Still looks great though!

Cheers

Tony

Tony , this one actually is 1/48, I built 3x 1/48 scale 109s to get them out of the stash! Thanks for your comments.

Duncan B

To answer David's question on the weathering, the exhaust staining was airbrushed on, a thin mix (10% paint) of brown and black. The panel lines were highlighted with a panel liner and the whole top side got a filter of 10% AK Dark Streaking Grime brushed over. Once it was all sealed in I used some oils to add a few leaks. The chipping on the drop tank and the leading edge of the wing was done with a pencil. Paint fading on the tips of the props where the paint would wear off then silver paint on the leading edge of the prop (I actually think I've over done that part) and a lighter green was used to simulate wear on the spinner then it got the wash treatment too. I used 2 tones of AK Interactive pigments to add the dust and mud to the tyres after painting them several shades of dark grey (the pigments completely covered the paintwork so it was probably time wasted).

The other 2 1/48 Messerschmitts built at the same time (Hasegawa F4 and ICM F4B) got a similar weathering process to varying levels.

I hope that helps.

Duncan B

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to have a good nosey at Duncan's latest 3 109s at last night's club meet. The photos look very good, but I was impressed enough to come on here to remark on the quality of Duncan's building up close. These really are cracking models. The quality of surface detail on the Eduard one especially is where I personally would love all new kits to be.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
stunning finish Duncan; the spinner/prop is especially effective..and thanks for commenting on mine! A few more of these in the stash myself.
Yours looked great. What do you think about the decal options supplied with the kit?
Duncan B