1:48 Coastal Command Fortress IIA (B-17E)

My Monogram B17G has been sitting in my stash for about ten years, but after getting Robert Stitt’s superb book on the Coastal Command B17 Fortress

it inspired me to have a go at the conversion to a version as used in Britain.

New props and nose glazing, surgery to the nose section as well as various scratch built radar aerials, plus other bits and pieces completed the change to a Fortress IIA.

The Temperate Sea scheme finish on the upper surface was slightly faded and weathered because these aircraft were subject to severe weather

conditions on ops over the North Sea.

The model represents a 206 Sqn. machine with British-designed Yagi homing aerials in the nose and wings and American-designed search aerials on the rear fuselage.

It was based at Benbecula, Outer Hebrides from late 1942.

B17%201.jpg

B17%202.jpg

B17%203.jpg

B17%204.jpg

B17%205.jpg

B17%206.jpg

B17%207.jpg

B17%208.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by Etiennedup
  • Like 70

Hello,Etiennedup - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'B-17'.I have a lot of regard for Monogram Kits and considering their age they can still be turned into fine models as you have shown.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and looks resplendent in your chosen scheme.You must be very proud of her.All the best,Paul.

Beautifully done. Your modelling skills are matched only by your talents as a photographer; I thought the first photo was the real aircraft taken on a cloudless winter day with snow on the ground.

Another superb model for the collection there Etienne and I can fully appreciate all of the extra work that you have done to backdate it to B-17E standard and then Anglicise it with ASV etc,........brilliant job and I bet it looks really impressive in 1/48th scale!

The book by Robert Stitt is fantastic isn`t it and I quite fancy doing a `Coastal' Fortress in 1/48th but I was going to chicken out and do a B-17F derived Mk.II or even al overall silver Mk.III!

Brilliant stuff,

Cheers

Tony

Edit- I once knew a Sgt who was posted to Benbecula in the 1980`s who said that it was a punishment posting and that he came back to the mainland with a chronic dislike of sheep, he said that they were everywhere, even in and amongst the station buildings and the noise drove him mad :mental::frantic: ,...well I suppose you`d either end up loving them :wub: or hating :devil: them,......luckily he wasn`t from Wales or Yorkshire and didn`t wear Welly boots!!! :whistle:

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2