US M113 - Vietnam War - Tamiya 1/35

DAG058

I have just completed my second entry in the Vietnam GB.The kit is a US M113 from Tamiya in 1/35.

This is my second armour build since I began the hobby about a year and a half ago. I went in with bit of trepidation and unsure of how to get the best results. Thanks to all the guys in the GB though who offered much advice and support to help me fumble through.

I really enjoyed the build, doing something which I usually wouldn't. The kit itself was great. Its fairly old but it went together well with good detail and a very nice interior. I had to buy some AM tracks. Also a special shout out to Dads203 for the replacement decals.

Thanks for looking. Please leave comments, further advice or any questions you may have.

52733a522a369f703ac59db0a87080a6_zpsh18q

699fff05b062b1bb4a67484089bf410e_zpscwuc

fc3f307d75c19d5d894eb67e77e09f5e_zpsqhf4

c0e7fd91b3f3f10f8b4bc945e2e5ed3b_zpsiwie

e23155f17c2c2d0fa7cd36e62d003e62_zpsdyzc

• Like 13

Nice work buddy, it's come out really well indeed.

One question though, what happened to the nice .50 ?

Dan

Something about it didn't look right, maybe it was the moulding or the mount that it was on, I'm not sure. Eventually I'd like to get this in a diorama with figures, maybe then I will buy an after market 50. First I need to learn how to paint figures!

• Like 1

Nice finish to it, screaming out for a couple of grunts.

Thanks very much. I would love to add some, the kit issued figures aren't great though and I'm not good enough at figure painting to warrant me spending on some decent ones. A bit of a catch-22.

No the kit figures aren't the greatest but there is some pretty cheap aftermarket stuff, some of the Master Box figures are good and not over priced. Your painting skills are obviously pretty good as you achieved a smart finish to the 'track, have a go, if you're worried about faces, which most of us are, think that Grunts spend most of the time outdoors so they'll have a tan, and if the vehicle is dusty then so is the crew. If all else fails, give them some green and black face camo!

Maybe just the Verlinden "Dear John" figure sat inside reading his letter?

What could possibly go wrong? :banghead:

• Like 1

That's a real beauty and it was also a great WIP too! Nearly bought an Italeri one of these today but decided against it

You should have bought it! This tamiya kit is decent, it's old but went together well. I really enjoyed detailing the interior.

Really nice! I've always liked the functional "no nonsense" look to the M113, a simple metal box on tracks!

Thanks very much. It's like they asked an 8 year old to design a troop carrying AFV and just went with it!

• Like 1

Thanks very much. It's like they asked an 8 year old to design a troop carrying AFV and just went with it!

Exactly! Impressive how it's been in service now for 55 years with the US Army.

• Like 1

Thank you, I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing, your compliments are very much appreciated!

Not a problem at all!!

Credit where credit is due!! And if you think you have issues with weathering, you should see my stuff - I've recently come back to the hobby after a 25+ year break, work exclusively in 1/72 (my 'Introduce Yourself' post explains why) and have yet to acquire an airbrush (I am working on it though), so you can imagine what my weathering is like!!

As I said a seriously good job!! :goodjob::clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Kind regards

Andrew

PS is there a WIP thread??

• Like 1

work exclusively in 1/72

PS is there a WIP thread??

The majority of my builds are 1/72 aircraft, 1/35 armour has always appealed to me though.

Airbrushing is a game changer in my opinion. When I started I was fortunate enough to be in a position where I could get a cheap airbrush and compressor straight away. I can't imagine modelling aircraft without it, it was a great investment.

Here is the WiP http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988935-m113-tamiya-135/

• 1 month later...