Iranian and Kuwaiti Chieftains - colour?

MikeR

Does anyone know what the customer specified colours were for these vehicles?

The Takom kit quotes a greyish sand for the Iranian ones with a brighter, more yellow, colour for the Kuwaiti option.

Is there anything within the Humbrol range that's either a match or close?

Thanks in advance,

Mike. :)

No clue about Kuwaiti, but Iranian Chieftains (and M47Ms and M60A1s etc.) were originally painted in a colour similar to that used by the Israelis. I.e. some sort of mix of a bleak olive green and sand, usually turning into 'sand' rather quickly.

Sorry, no idea about any Humbrol matches, though.

• Like 1

Hi Tom, thanks for the offer!

Yep I'm currently in the planning stage with the new 1/35 Takom Mk 5/5P kit. I'm currently intending on building the model as THIS option for a vehicle from the 242nd Battalion, 4th Brigade. I believe that Takom co-operated with Mig Jimenez for the various marking options and one of the photo ALBUMS on their Facebook page is dedicated of Iranian Chieftains. I don't know the origins of the various images, however or whether the images are "legit" or just harvested from the internet. :hmmm:

Takom quote Mig Productions colours only and no-one has done a conversion chart for that paint range as of yet. I'm currently leaning towards using Humbrol 83, Ochre, for the Iranian option. It has a greyish tone to it and I've seen it used on models of Israeli AFV's. As for the Kuwaiti option, I think Humbrol 237, Desert Tan, might be useful. The colour of the Kuwaiti tanks seems to have been similar to British equipment and 237 is the colour that Airfix recommended for their Operation Herrick range.

I'll send a PM when I have more time.

Thanks again,

Mike. :)

NP, take your time (I'm quite 'under pressure' currently too).

Anyway, this photo is showing what is - AFAIK - their original colour (ignore splotches of 'camo pattern': these were added recently):

https://www.facebook.com/354803674728188/photos/a.378338339041388.1073741841.354803674728188/378339752374580/?type=3&theater

• Like 1