56 Squadron FGR2s

Hi

More jets from my growing 56 Sqn collection.

All thoughts, especially negative/constructive ones are much appreciated, fixes for them would be even better. Without criticism Ill never improve, so please, dont be shy, Im a big boy and I dont cry easily. Im aware of plenty of faults, I dont mind at all for more to be pointed out.

Thanks for looking.

Sweaty

IMG_4767_zpsnyprrilr.jpgtest

IMG_476_zpsoplmrkol.jpgIMG_4749_zpsleeyj0wh.jpg

IMG_4753_zpssdxguytr.jpg

IMG_4760_zpspa9bjsp6.jpgIMG_4759_zpsoi233gda.jpgIMG_4765_zpsjlevr6by.jpgIMG_4763_zpsnbtz1kfa.jpgIMG_4767_zpsnyprrilr.jpg

Edited by sweaty1
photobucket
  • Like 36

Hello,Sweaty1 - My compliments to you on two beautiful looking builds of your 'Phantoms'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and

finishing work and they look resplendent in their respective schemes.I adore the Anniversary Scheme particularly.Phine tributes of phine aircraft! All the best,Paul.

When someone asks for criticism its like a challenge to find as many as possible! Love the anti-corrosion "slime" in the wheel wells, looks spot on. Not sure of base kit, but clearer canopies would help, glossy tires and looks like a wonky left main, could be the camera lens though.

2 Phantastic Phantoms, no negative comments from me. The only thing that I can see that I would alter would be to add a bit of a wash to the wheels, having worked in the tyre bay at Leuchars back in the Toom days I can safely say they used to get really dirty.

Duncan B

Gary

The panel lines were done with Glory Models Weathering Wash on XV470 ( The red tailed one). Allowed to dry fully the cleaned off were wet kitchen roll, cleaning up along the panel lines. The Alcock and Browne Commemorative one was done by apply a coat of Clear to protect the decals. Then a Black Sharpie was used to mark the lines and rivets. The excess was "polished" off using nail buffers stolen from my daughter. Both techniques are detailed on Youtube.

Sweaty

Edited by sweaty1

The panel lines were done with Glory Models Weathering Wash on XV470 ( The red tailed one). Allowed to dry fully the cleaned off were wet kitchen roll, cleaning up along the panel lines. The Alcock and Browne Commemorative one was done by apply a coat of Clear to protect the decals. Then a Black Sharpie was used to mark the lines and rivets. The excess was "polished" off using nail buffers stolen from my daughter. Both techniques are detailed on Youtube.

Ah ok - there are of course several methods - regarding special occassion schemes always remember that typically they are kept in good order, so weathering should be kept minimal (as a general rule) - Black as a weather can be very harsh especially against light Greys for instance, and IMHO panel wash should be something that you see without it jumping out. I would recommend buying yourself a small tube of raw umber painting oils (which you dilute with thinners) apply, allow to dry and then remove excess. For the underside of Phantoms, get yourself a box of artists pastel chalks (£4) and make sure Browns and Oranges are included - using the blade of a scalpel, shave a small amount off into a fine powder and apply with a dry brush, blowing off excess - looks awesome when done correctly. Like many jets, the undersides of Phantoms when stained are a 100 shades of Brown and this process allows you to replicate well - also great using black or dark grey, to replicate exhaust staining from blow holes.

Gary

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I'm off to the local art shop. Next adventure is a a 56 Sqn Tornado F3 with 'firey' tailfin

Then do try to use the Black chalk pastels technique to replicate the famous exhaust thruster "sooting" on the tail - good luck with your shopping trip

Sweaty 1, as Duncan B and others have said: these are two Beautiful Phantastic Phantoms!

My only constructive criticisms would be on the Shifty Fix toom, the starboard wing root has a bit too heavy soiling. This soiling usually happened mainly on the port wing root, because of the lineys boot marks - whilst climbing up along the spine, to strap the Nav' in (during see-off), if the rear ladder wasn't being used.

On XV424; we had this kite after the Raspberry Ripple scheme in 1979, and this and all other tooms (as I remember from the Bionic Budgie brigade (29F)) never had snow-white intakes. They were slightly duller off-white ish!

Still, these are beautiful works of art, and thanks for sharing them with us!

Looking forward to your F3. :worthy::worthy::worthy: