PETLYAKOV Pe-2 - 1/48 Zvezda 4809 - Ultra Newest Kit !

MBG

Start new project ...

Fantastic Ultra Newest KIT !!

Excellent surface material, a lot of good detail - very sharp and clear. Riveting whole surface of the model.

Complete engine with many details.

From Special Hobby Pe-2 kit I say Goodbye !!

VBOX1_zpskd2tmfx7.jpg
1_zpsmyt6s0tg.jpg
2_zps8oppp4ct.jpg
3_zpsj4awdvdl.jpg
4_zpsbhisoy4q.jpg
5_zpsnudstnys.jpg
6_zpsagraalsv.jpg
7_zpswjkyo5rd.jpg
8_zpspjzum4gm.jpg
9_zpsxjm1e8az.jpg
10_zpsh4bcwsgj.jpg
11_zpsxjoqaeug.jpg
12_zpsvwxcwvhj.jpg
13_zpsukypk7pu.jpg
14_zpsib541it7.jpg
15_zpsbgj3wqa4.jpg
16_zps2eskmgdu.jpg

• Like 15

Am also working on this kit at the moment. Absolutely sublime detail. It all goes together so well. Built most of the engine (added pipes are still on the sprues mid painting) and was amazed that 27 parts of the engine go together so well.

The plastic looks phenominal, I just hope that the decals have been sorted out and will behave, be a shame to put in loads of effort only for the decals to ruin it, Its the only area that puts me off Zvesda kits.

Now that looks nice, look forward to seeing this WIP. :popcorn:

Guy

Does the kit give you the option to have those lovely engines on display? What markings options are provided?

I received mine 'from Russia by post' yesterday.

Yes, the kit is clearly intended to have an engine on display. The level of detail and quality of the IM parts is just "wow!" You can of course, display with closed cowls (simplified option provided in box).

There are three marking options provided if using Zvezda's included kit decals. All versions are green, grey, brown camo pattern (variance) with airframe blue undersides per box cover art.

The two which are from Guards regiments are quite colourful without being OTT, something I prefer.

1. 12th Guards Dive Bomber Regiment, 1944

2. 40th Bomber Regiment, 2nd squadron, Black Sea Fleet, 1944,

3. 34th Guards Red Banner Regiment , 276 bomb group, 1945 (this one is commonly featured in aftermarket book colour plates)

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see this kit released in the near future under the Eduard banner as a Limited Edition with masks, a super range of Eduard or Cartograf decals accompanied by etch and/or resin, although it is arguable whether additional photo etch is either required or even desired.

Zvezda are definitely THE company to watch. Each new 1/48 release just keeps getting better and better. PE haters will love this kit. The level of detail and quality of the moulding is such that the detail is there without need for fiddly fine etch. Think of Eduard's outstanding Bf 110 series in 1/48 (of which I have two of) and you get the picture. Neither decals nor clear parts' transparency are up to Eduard plus Cartograf standard yet, but they are significantly improved. The decals are definitely usable. I am not sure if the available stenciling on the decal sheet accurately represents sparse stenciling on VVS aircraft of the era or minimisation by Zvezda. Research will reveal.

As Bf 109s are one of my idiosyncratic obsessions along with VVS aircraft, I have all of Zvezda's other contemporary 1/48 releases save their Su-2. One can observe their product evolving and improving with each iteration. Zvezda's attention to detail and IM are truly now second to none. Boxing both internal and external has improved. Sprues, of which there are many in this kit, now come enclosed within plastic bags. Decals and transparency sprue likewise. La-5FN, La-5, Bf 109F-2 all came in the older boxing, some with sprues enclosed in a plastic bag, some not. The transparency sprue is always within a plastic bag. Undeniably, in these kits Zvezda's decals are 'poor' relative to Cartograf standard. Even the newer iteration of the Bf 109F-4, whilst inclusive, lacks extensive stenciling and colour acuity isn't comparable with best aftermarket or native Eduard offerings. That said, as AFAIK individual unit emblems and personal markings were applied in the field with whatever materials were available to hand under logistical duress of that vastness in a bitter life and death battle of Weltanschauungen, perhaps they more honestly reflect reality even if in our builds for display, we prefer the more aesthetically attractive option? In the most recent kit releases such as the drop dead gorgeous Yak-3 and Pe-2 kits, the decals are significantly improved, and the boxings are newer style with all parts in sealed plastic bags within the typical Zvezda plain box within its sleeve.

Zvezda's PE-2 kit really is an exquisite IM mould. WOW! Just WOW! And it comes come with in-flight crew figures of very good IM quality (think this decade Dragon Gen 1 facial features). There's nearly AUD $15 worth of value adding goodness there. I just wish Zvezda would include a display stand in their boxes and bump the price up a Ruble or three.

Edited by Bigglesof266
  • Like 3

That looks really good! Does the kit give you the option to have those lovely engines on display? What markings options are provided?

as one of our rare lady members, if you are interested in markings options, perhaps it would be of interest to know of the female crewed Pe-2 unit?

see

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1513.5

The new Osprey book on Pe-2 Guards Regiments includes this photo

Pe-2_01_zps6b5e6b0e.jpg

more info on the unit and markings in the link.

great looking kit as well.

cheers

T

• Like 2

The Zvezda Pe-2 looks great, but, it seems like they have have gone the way of companies like Xuntong who have over-engineered their kits by including features that will never be seen. Why do they include a fantastic engine but provide no provision for viewing it? Same goes for all the fuselage innards that cannot be seen after things get buttoned up. Just a gripe; I'll still buy this kit.

The Zvezda Pe-2 looks great, but, it seems like they have have gone the way of companies like Xuntong who have over-engineered their kits by including features that will never be seen. Why do they include a fantastic engine but provide no provision for viewing it? Same goes for all the fuselage innards that cannot be seen after things get buttoned up. Just a gripe; I'll still buy this kit.

Did you - by chance - have a look at the instructions, that show you

1) there's just 1 (one) engine that can be exposed - the left one?

2) that you can build said engine either fully exposed, or with closed nacelle?

Here's a link where you can see instructions: http://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Petlyakov-Pe-2.html