A couple of 1/72 Westland Lysanders

Orso

Airfix Lysander Mk.II

lysander20.JPG

For some reason I never built a Lysander even though I always wanted one ever since I first saw it in the Airfix catalogue in the 1970'th. I finally bought an old Airfix kit thinking that I at last would build the "spy plane".

lysander21.JPG

After I had started on it I found a Frog kit as well. I heard that the they were different versions so I made a small research. The Frog is a Mk.I and the Airfix is a Mk.II so the Airfix kit was wrong for the Mk.IIISCW that was used in the "spy business".
The main difference between the marks are the engines. Mk.I and III used a Bristol Mercury and the Mk.II a Bristol Perseus. As the Airfix kit was the wrong version for the "spy plane" I had to find another alternative.

lysander23.JPG
I like yellow aircraft's so a crop duster in yellow was the answer.

lysander25.JPG

The good thing is that it did really exist so it isn't a What If. Some were used in Canada. Home made decals but there is one line of text missing at the bottom of the fin as I don't know what it should read.

lysander27.JPG

The "dusting equipment" was scratch built from plastic rods. I wonder if this could be Dusty Crophopper Aunt Lizzie?

lysander22.JPG

Frog Lysander Mk.III SCW

lysander09.JPG

When the plans were changed, the Frog kit became the "Spy catcher" instead.

lysander01.JPG
When I started to build I found the engine to be missing. I didn't find a suitable in the spare boxes so I took one from a Marivox SAAB B17 kit. But I couldn't resist adding some details to it. I then turned to the Airfix engine. The cooling flaps are moulded with an engraved line separating them where a strip should cover this area. So I added some plastic strips to the cowl. The engine has push rods moulded to the front of the cylinder but the real engine had sleeve valve so there should be two holes on front of the cylinders instead.

lysander03.JPG

lysander05.JPG

As the Frog kit now have a detailed engine I decided to experiment with the interior adding some plastic rods to the sides with the hope that a fuel tank will fit between them.

lysander08.JPG

I decided on an pilot in the cockpit so I replaced the seat and controls with a pilot from the Airfix kit instead.
Perhaps I can use the part in a Matchbox kit later.

lysander07.JPG

The extra fuel tank was made with parts from some Spitfire canopy's and a seat was added at the rear. Then it was time to close up and start assembling the plane.

lysander15.JPG

Funny, I was going to build a black Airfix Lysander but ended up with a Frog kit instead.

lysander14.JPG
I decided to use the figures and the ladder from the Airfix kit as they looked better.

lysander11.JPG
I thought that it would look better with the rear canopy open with the figure attached so I had to vacform that part of the canopy. Well the home made seat is still visible.

lysander13.JPG
Over all I like the Airfix kit better for most parts. Frog has little more details in the interior and the wheels look better (What is visible of them) But the landing lights are missing and the canopy is wrong. With the rear part open it is less visible though. The Frog kit is harder to build. Part fits better in the Airfix kit.

lysander12.JPG

A couple of quick builds to get back the" modelling mood". Not much have been done in the modelling front this year.

Bjorn B

Edited by Orso
Photobucket sabotage
  • Like 30

Hello,Orso - My compliments to you on your lovely 'Lysander' builds.You have taken two venerable kits and made them into delightful tributes to this charismatic type.The diorama display completes the picture nicely.All the best,Paul.

Lovely builds. I especially like the yellow finish.

I have the Frog and Airfix Lysanders in my stash along with the Matchbox version. Keep meaning to make them one day. Hopefully, when I do, they will look as good as your two builds.

Dave