Photobucket alternative

Duncan B

I have been using Photobucket to store and post my photos online. While the storage and linking/downloading side of it work fine I'm noticing that the photos I post are never as sharp as the originals but I notice that a lot of other people's photos are very sharp. Are they using something other than Photobucket or is there something I can do to make my Photobucket photos sharper when posted online?

Maybe it's not PB's fault and something else I'm doing of courses however the original photos are usually very sharp.

It's really annoying to spend days detailing a model for it all to disappear in the online versions of my photos!

Duncan B

I process my photos to be under 800 x 600 pixies then store them on dumpyourphoto. I prefer that hosting. It has a small free limit of 200 photos, but its advert free. It also has no processing facility. Its purely for storage. I now pay for storage on it. It cost me £11 per year at last bill, a lot cheaper than photobucket.

And one more thing; it has no bandwidth limit compared to the limit of p/b.

• Like 1

Hi Duncan, I found the same with mine. After resizing, which is all I've really done, with the odd photo cropped,

I'd noticed how much darker the pictures looked. I've since joined Flickr, and the difference is amazing.

I haven't used it yet for BM as I just signed up yesterday, still getting my head around what does what.

The photos look so much better and brighter, perhaps the models not so....... :winkgrin:

Sean

• Like 1

+1 for Flickr. It's free unless you want a Pro account, but I'm not sure there's much need for that.

Cheers,

Andrew

None at all really, the free account is great for what it is... I have just over 4000 photos on one of my accounts and I've only used 0.2% of the 1TB free storage! Brilliant.

• Like 1

I have been using Photobucket to store and post my photos online. While the storage and linking/downloading side of it work fine I'm noticing that the photos I post are never as sharp as the originals but I notice that a lot of other people's photos are very sharp. Are they using something other than Photobucket or is there something I can do to make my Photobucket photos sharper when posted online?

Duncan B

Yep, PB's editor has a horrible effect on photo's. I was having exactly the same problems as yourself. I discovered that all editing, cropping and resizing should be done prior to upload (I use PhotoScape) to minimise the damage.

Having said that, I'm looking to dump PB for the simple reason that the advertising overload on their site slows my computer down to a crawl. They've shoehorned picture ads and video ads into every availible free space and though I do understand they need to pay the bills, I feel they've overstepped the line when it it causes my laptop to huff and puff.

• Like 2