Looks great! Loving the detail on the cockpit.

Just wondering (as someone kinda new to model kits and stuff) is it absolutely necessary to prime kits before painting them!

My experience is to wash all parts in soap and water, then allow to dry completely then a light coat of primer and give the primer plenty of time to fully cure .I found that the plastic that bandai uses is so smooth that when I went to tape off an area sometimes the tape would pull off the paint. The paint just didn't seem to be able to get a good bond with the plastic.

• Like 1

Looks great! Loving the detail on the cockpit.

Just wondering (as someone kinda new to model kits and stuff) is it absolutely necessary to prime kits before painting them!

It's not absolutely essential. It depends more on what paint you're using. If you're painting enamels you'd be fine to go strait on to the plastic. At the other end of the scale, Vallejo acrylics definitely need a primer, they won't adhere to the plastic without one.

A primer will help tie everything together before painting, and give you a neutral base colour (like grey) to work from.

Personally, I often use Tamiya paint thinned with cellulose thinner to prime and base coat in one

Andy

My experience is to wash all parts in soap and water, then allow to dry completely then a light coat of primer and give the primer plenty of time to fully cure .I found that the plastic that bandai uses is so smooth that when I went to tape off an area sometimes the tape would pull off the paint. The paint just didn't seem to be able to get a good bond with the plastic.

That's another good point. It's always a good idea to wash the parts before assembly. I normally also wipe the model down before painting with IPA to remove any grease and dust.

The Bandai plastic is very shiny. I usually give it a light sand with a fine sanding stick so the paint has something to key to.

Andy

• Like 2

Very thoughtful concept Andy. You did Ralph's concept justice. Any plans to do the Bandai T70 as Poe's x-wing?

Yes, I'll be doing the movie version at some point. I'm just waiting to see if Bandai re-release it in the black/orange colours. Their release schedule seems to have gone very quiet recently. Now that Captain Phasma is out, I don't think they've got anything else listed as a future release.

Andy

Yes, I'll be doing the movie version at some point. I'm just waiting to see if Bandai re-release it in the black/orange colours. Their release schedule seems to have gone very quiet recently. Now that Captain Phasma is out, I don't think they've got anything else listed as a future release.

Andy

They are indeed releasing Poe's. You'll want to wait for it too because the marking decals will be different colors for the black one than they are for the white one.

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=275515

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Good gravy. Not only are you exceptionally talented as a modeller (your painting specifically is gorgeous!). But this is some of the finest scale model photography I've ever seen! The wonderful clarity, sharpness and perfect lighting!

Bravo!

• Like 2

Ace work on this kit. I actually made a total mess of the paint job so I bailed on it and have since re painted it in the colours of Poes X-Wing. Next time I'll pay more attention and get it right

• Like 1