Spitfire 24 Hong Kong 1952

With apologies for the finger trouble which caused the post to go up half-cocked, here's the lovely little Airfix Spitfire 22, almost out of the box, but with the following tweaks for a 24:

• starboard rear fuselage hatch moved forward as for a Mk 24
  • rear fuselage fuel filler added
  • shortened gun barrels for a late 24
  • undercarriage doors changed to Seafire type for a late 24 (I think this is correct for this aircraft - VN496, the last Spitfire, had them but it's not an exact science for earlier airframes)
  • bomb racks and rocket rails adapted from Special Hobby items
  • drilled out exhaust pipes
  • added separation hooks for fuselage sipper tank
  • decals from the spares box

This great photo (found at http://www.talkmorga...n_veteran_air_)was the inspiration:

KAITAK2_zpsrnfonoh2.jpg

And here's the model:

image_zpsbunfhrle.jpeg

image_zpsb0rakfsz.jpeg

image_zpsqoooixct.jpeg

image_zpspounryt8.jpeg

image_zps0tacbvk2.jpeg

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 56

Hello,Bedders - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Spitfire'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and she looks resplendent in her elegant scheme.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much folks. This Airfix kit is such a joy to build, It comes out of the box very nicely (though with Mark 1 decals):

image_zpsjmg385ti.jpeg

or can be the basis of something more radical:

image_zpsedbgh3sz.jpeg

So I'm disturbed to hear the stories circulating that this lovely little kit has been discontinued for 2016. Instead Airfix should be putting it out with lots of new decal options and watching them fly off the shelves.

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 7

I for one love the 22/24, 46/47.

The Spitfire for me ended with the MkIX, the MkXII was the first of the new fighters, the Spiteful name would hve been better attributed to the Griffon engined aircraft. Spitfires have a Merlin.

A tougher more aggressive breed which no longer were the best fighter in the world, (the P-51D was by then) but were certainly one of the most fantastic and beautiful aircraft of thier time.

Great rendition of a great aircraft.

• Like 1

Beautiful work, Bedders! Those late mark Spits are so elegant, and purposeful at the same time. I have a few of these in the stash, I really need to get at them! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1