Dutch Two-Decker 1665 in 1/22nd scale

Hi Folks,

I'm Peter and I'm from Germany and like to show you my model of a Dutch Two-Decker from 1665. It made completely from wood, oak to be precise and it is in 1/22nd scale. The hull is about 7 feet Long (2.1m). I've been working on it for two years now, and I hope you like it.

Peter

J4100009a.jpg

J4100001a.jpg

J4100031a.jpg

]J4100051a.jpg

• Like 35

Lovely work,,,and oak! Not the easiest wood to work either. She's beautiful. Will you be rigging her or doing it 'Admiralty style' with stump masts?

This build completely blows me away, its fantastic !!!

But please if you don't mind, how will you get it out of the house once finished. ?!!

Thanks for your replies everbody, you're making me feel very welcome here. Here are some pictures of the original model which was built to the same scale. It was most likely built around 1660-1665 and doesn't represent a specific ship, rather a type of ship. Though the dimensions match the "Hollandia" of 1665 the coat of arms at the stern is very different. This is the coat of arms of Prins Willem III who later became King William of England thus some scholars believe the model represents the "De Jonge Prins" which was in reality a much smaller ship with less cannon. Apparently the comtemporary model found ist way to Berlin shortly after it was built but was sadly destroyed in an air-raid in WWII.

I_4_092_076_06a.png

However the model was very well recorded by a private enthusiast before the war who measured it and took numerous pictures. His drawings were put together to produce a set of plans which was published in a book in the 1960s. Though the plans aren't top-notch they serve well as a basis to produce an accurate replica.

I_4_092_253a.jpg

@seadog, yes I'm planning to fully rig her just like the original model. Fully rigged she will be 2.75m high which means she'll be displayed on the floor! I'm planning to make the topmasts to be lowered, just like on the original ships which will make moving here around (a bit) easier.

@MikeyJ, no, with bowsprit she'll be 2,67m which is roughly 8 feet.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for checking in.

Peter

Edited by olympic1911
  • Like 8

Thanks for your replies everbody, you're making me feel very welcome here. Here are some pictures of the original model which was built to the same scale. It was most likely built around 1660-1665 and doesn't represent a specific ship, rather a type of ship. Though the dimensions match the "Hollandia" of 1665 the coat of arms at the stern is very different. This is the coat of arms of Prins Willem III who later became King William of England thus some scholars believe the model represents the "De Jonge Prins" which was in reality a much smaller ship with less cannon. Apparently the comtemporary model found ist way to Berlin shortly after it was built but was sadly destroyed in an air-raid in WWII.

However the model was very well recorded by a private enthusiast before the war who measured it and took numerous pictures. His drawings were put together to produce a set of plans which was published in a book in the 1960s. Though the plans aren't top-notch they serve well as a basis to produce an accurate replica.

@seadog, yes I'm planning to fully rig her just like the original model. Fully rigged she will be 2.75m high which means she'll be displayed on the floor! I'm planning to make the topmasts to be lowered, just like on the original ships which will make moving here around (a bit) easier.

@MikeyJ, no, with bowsprit she'll be 2,67m which is roughly 8 feet.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for checking in.

Peter

OK, that's brilliant! I am really in awe of this project.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot Folks! I'm glad you like it! :-)

I've spent the past few weeks working on the main gundeck and I got a little tired of fitting in deckbeams and knees and the rest so last week I decided to carry on with the hull planking.The planks are six millimeters thick so some of them need to be soaked in water before bending. They are then heated with an industrial hot-air-blower whilst getting them into shape. I drew the plank seams onto the hull a while ago and the lines now assist me when cutting out the planks from oak blocks.

Here you can see how it is done:

Small cardboard snippets are tacked to the hull using the Planks that are already in place as guides.

J4100023a.jpg

Once each snippet is in place the plank seam is drawn on it.

J4100003a.jpg

Cardboard templates for every plank are made this way. Yes it is laborious and tedious but the advantage is that I have control of every line of each plank. The result is great! Once the planks are on the hull and the glue has dried all I need to do is sand the planks and hardly any seams are visible.

This is what a card template looks like when removed from the hull. It can now the used to transfer the shape onto oak wood.

J4100024a.jpg

Especially at the curved bow many individual planks are required to plank the hull. Here a small plank has been shaped with water and hot air and is now tacked to the hull and left to dry.

J4100030a.jpg

Large planks amidships present no problems, These don't need to be heated, they are glued to the hull and once the glue has dried the clamps can be removed and the hull sanded.

J4100036a.jpg

Looking good:

J4100008a.jpg

J4100009a.jpg

J4100012a.jpg

Peter

• Like 17