1/144 Bandai Millenium Falcon

T8247741

I have The Force Awakens Bandai Falcon on it's way, I appreciate it's a new kit but an internet search for a lighting kit proved fruitless.

Anyone seen anything about one......or are there any electronics wizards out there that can make them ?

Cheers

Paul

Our own Madmonk - Warren could probably do it, but there's a Bandai lighting kit that's been designed specifically for the kit, which you CAN find, but currently goes for around £30 on that well known auction site that people seem reticent to name. eBay... that's the one. You also risk customs charges, as they're in Japan and over the exemption.

I've asked Shane @ Japan:cool to look for 'em next time he's in Japan (lucky bugger!), so you never know - he might turn some up. :)

Did you see my review BTW? It's a lully kit ^_^

Just by chance my Falcon was waiting when I got home from work so been looking at what can be done with it lighting wise.

The Bandai lighting kit is disappointing as there are only 2 LEDs on the unit but 6 places that LEDs can be added.

Just need to sort out if a 2xAAA battery box and switch unit will fit in the kit then will be putting something together along the lines of 4 LEDs for engines, 1 for Ramp, 2 for turrets and 1 or 2 with fibre guides for cockpit. Need to see if it is viable to light the front running lights.

Shuold have something available at the weekend.

Cheers,

Warren

Thanks for the info guys, look forward to seeing what you come up with Warren.

I read the review, it was stumbling across it that prompted me to buy it !!

Edited by T8247741

Quick up date Paul.

A few crappy photos of the prototype using my mobile!

Engine
IMG_0158_zpsjtkqidgv.jpg

Ramp
IMG_0159_zps3bkhoc02.jpg

Cockpit fibres
IMG_0160_zpsm7bybncb.jpg

The kit will have 4 engine LEDs (white), 1 Ramp LED (warm white), Cockpit LEDs (white with 6 x 0.5mm fibres & red with 4 x 0.5mm fibres) and 2 Running Lights LED (warm white with 1mm fibre). It will come with a battery box and switch (either 2 x AAA or 2 x CR2032, depends which fits best), the engine lights will be fixed to a small board with the other lights on a socket and pin arrangement so you have a choice of the lights you want. Price will be £25 plus P+P, no soldering required will be plug and play!!

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 5

Looks good Warren, I will take one !

Having never lit a kit before please ensure instructions are COMPLETLY IDIOT PROOF :banghead:

Looking at the HERMES tracker I am hoping the kit will arrive today.

How do you propose to access the battery pack once the kit is finished ? Will it have any of the lights underneath?

Paul

Edited by T8247741

Hi Paul,

There is a compartment on the underside for the battery pack to sit with a removable cover so switching on and off and changing batteries should be straight forward.

The kit will provide lights for the kit as Bandai intended but with the exception of the running light at the front. There are no landing lights on the underside.

when you look through the instructions part F7 is used to house the LEDs but there are only 4 with the kit, use these for the engine lights and the others will need to be held in place with tape or hot glue.

The light kit will be fully wired, ready to place in the kit, plug in the LEDs to the sockets then switch on. Simples!!

• Like 1

Thanks Warren, looking forward to getting stuck in to this..........got to get the other kits on my workbench finished ASAP.

PM me with details of how to send you payment. PayPal ?

Been working some more on this and have decided to drop the front running lights, they can't be plug and play like the rest of the kit, mods are needed to the mandibles and there is too much light spillage from the snap-fix construction.

The final kit will have 4 white engine lights, red and white cockpit lights with fibres, ramp light and upper turret light. The ramp and turret lights are on sockets and pins so are optional in the build. The battery holder and switch unit takes 2 X CR2032 batteries and sits in the battery compartment of the kit.

Cheers,

Warren

Sounds good, looks good, and how much is it going to cost? :) Also, how do you switch it on & off? Switch in the battery compartment? My old FM kit had a micro-switch installed on the underside out of the way, but it would be nice to have one that's invisible. :ninja:

The kit will be £25 plus P+P.

It comes with a battery box that takes 2 CR2032 batteries and has a switch built in so to switch on/off it will be a case of removing the cover, flicking the switch and hey-presto!!

Brilliant stuff Warren - order placed just now as promised.

Thanks for getting this done so quickly as the 'official' version looks tricky to get hold of (not to mention somewhat more expensive).

Cheers,

Steve.

where do i have to go to get one of those lighting kits?

i had a quick look on Shane's site but couldn't see anything....thanks for the new falcon and x-wing kits btw shane...any idea when the black x-wing will be out?

Edited by PhantomMajor