59North

very nicely done, she's looking great, and the "borrowed" tank idea has become very popular, as well as making the tip tanks look even better!

Look forward to seeing her in her colours.

• Like 1

If you go to Google and search for images of "Canadair CF-116" you should find many that may be of use to you. Canadian flags and roundels are available too

from Canuck model products and are first rate decals. HTH Brian

• Like 1

If you go to Google and search for images of "Canadair CF-116" you should find many that may be of use to you. Canadian flags and roundels are available too

from Canuck model products and are first rate decals. HTH Brian

Thanks Brian. I've already checked on Canuck. With them being sold out of the 1/72 roundels, I went to the Leading Edge F-5 wrap around set, which has proper replacements for the kit offerings. And your right, there is no shortage of image references on the web.

Looking good

Great progress.......

How is it using stretched spur for filler ? I have never tried that.........

Rgds

I think I can take the blame for that........

Basically where you have gaps of various sizes which you would normally fill with filler, well instead you fill these gaps with either thin plastic card or for the long thin gaps a length of stretched sprue. Ideally you want the sprue to be very slightly thicker than the gap you are filling. Just carefully push it into the gap (same for the plastic strip though can be same width of smaller, then add sprue) and use liquid glue.

It dries nice and quick and is very easy to sand/scrape down to surface. Blends perfectly with the rest of the plastic, re-scribing is easy, no chance of filler coming adrift, and less chance of loosing detail to too much filler. Plus I find it makes you take that little bit of extra care/time in getting that join right.

Other that the F-5 and the Whiff's, the last 4 or 5 models I've built have had no filler at all used and I only used CA glue for the Meteor due to it having resin intakes.

You should give it a try, it's so simple and the results are so nice you probably wondered why you haven't been doing it all the time.

• Like 3

Thanks to trickyrich for sharing the idea and for the explanation; it's going to be my main join filler from here on in.

How is it using stretched spur for filler ? I have never tried that.........

Mr B, I used the stretched sprue basically on all major part joins. Used Tamiya thin for the glue and gently settled the sprue in the crack with a modellers putty tool. Very little clean-up required. It's great; right up there with Saran Wrap for good ideas.

You can see a thin strip of white in the above pic where the right stabilizer joins the fuselage, and the one on the fin has been scribed.

• Like 1

I did manage to splash some primer and first layer of paint on this little Italeri model.

The primer is two light coats of rattle-can Krylon grey rubbed down with a 4000grit pad.

Progress_13_%281%29.jpg

I made the color strip to see how much I have to lighten each shade to get close to the lizard scheme likeness in this pic:

Progress_14.jpg

Two light coats of lightened Tamiya buff was then applied as the first color coat. I believe I'm still a tad dark, but, that's ok.

Progress_13_%284%29.jpg

Progress_13_%282%29.jpg

Progress_13_%283%29.jpg

Time to do a little masking and begin the lizard camo scheme. But, there's a little thing called 'Christmas' in the way just now. A time of Peace and Joy, and the wife being home all day long (I love her deep.; really.).

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Like 4

That looks great, so nice to see her in colours...well her first colour! Well done

Looks like you've gotten a nice finish on both base and first coat. Your dark base coat has caused the buff to darken a wee bit, but that's no biggie at all, it'll balance out more with the other colours.

• 1 month later...

Well, this one just never moved, and now it's a DNF. Still sitting there, waiting on the shelf. After the Christmas holiday my fire for it just never came back.

I won't give up, though. Sooner or later, and I'll post her elsewhere at that time.