59North

This is likely my first or second post here on Britmodeller, and it concerns an F-5 model that is already being built by a number of fine hobbyist's in this campaign. None-the-less, this is the most peaceful, relaxing, and enjoyable hobby I can think of, and I don't feel the duplication should bother anyone.

I'm doing mine in the CAF lizard scheme as shown on the boxtop. I have a reference with a pair of decent color photos of that exact aircraft. So mine will be built OOB using the kit decals.

Here the prerequsite photos:

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

I'm starting the model this evening, so progress photos should be forthcoming soon.

I've been lurking for quite awhile, admiring the outstanding modelling skills of those who frequent this forum. I certainly hope I can hold my ground in the face of the skilled workmanship I see throughout this forum.

Glad to be here. Guy

• Like 5

Yes a very warm welcome to this build as well as your first group build.

You'll quite often find on some of these build that a particular model is a really popular choice, in this case the Italeri F-5. Mostly because it's a nice model and does build up into some pretty sweet.

You don't have to be an expert builder to join these GB's, it's all about the shared enjoyment of building models that we love. But along the way it's a really good place to pickup those extra tips and also a great place to ask for help if you get stuck!

Well I wish you good luck on your first GB and look forward to watching the build, and again welcome to the mad community of the Britmodeller GB's!!

• Like 1

I truly do appreciate your kind comments; just so you know.

Thought I'd better report my progress thus far. It's going fairly slow for me, and rather difficult after suffering a stroke earlier this year. That event earned me a left arm barely useful and a severe and annoying memory loss. None the less, I soldier on, and will speak of it no more.

I opted to use the kit decals in the cockpit. To my pleasant surprise, I don't feel they look too bad. They may give the purist among you nightmares, though.

Also, my color choices probably do not conform to reality. They were chosen to be more contrasting pretty within reason than accurate.

I still have to make some resemblance to harnesses and attach them to the seats before I put the cockpit together. I'll make that effort tonight.

Anyway, here's the photo:

Progress_1_Nov.15.jpg

Frankly, I'm fairly happy with the results so far.

The main color is Tamiya medium grey XF-20, with the seat frames a lighter Humbrol 129 light gull grey. A splash of Humbrol red on the headrest with khaki drab for the seat. The stick columns are actually Humbrol 72 khaki drill done for contrast, but, the color differance is hardly noticeable.

So forever forward. Guy

• Like 3

Well the roundels and flags are beyond wrong on the decal sheet with the kit!

I agree Patrick. In my experience, kit decals usually do fail.

I'm thinking I can trim that red strip from top and bottom of the flags. That still leaves me with rather poor maple leaves all around; but, with no AM, it is what it is.

Edited by 59North

Well it's great to see you have gotten back into modeling. Plus the great thing about Britmodeller is that everybody is made welcome in these GBs no matter watch there skills. It's just a great place to get together to share a common love of modeling even if they don't actually build models.

I remember the decal instrument panels in Esci models, Imalways thought they look really neat and even if they weren't the most accurate. That cockpit is looking nice a tidy, well done.

• Like 1

I toyed with a few ideas on getting seat harnesses into this build: painted masking tape with metal bits attached, sneaking PE belts from another different kit, or just trying to dress up the existing kit decal harnesses.

Finally, I settled on just painting up the existing kit decals. These were left on the backing paper, with that being painted brick red to cover the light blue paper and offsetting the harness. A tap of dull aluminum here and there to suggest buckles.

It didn't go as well as I wanted, but, it's done:

Progress_2_Nov.15.jpg

Progress_3_Nov.15.jpg

Progress_4_Nov.15.jpg

I'm not quite embarrased at the effort, yet. Must say, though, it was a lot easier when I had two good arms.

• Like 4

I suppose I should have glued the forward and aft fuselage sides together before joining right and left halves together, just as Nimrod54 did on his build. Completely my fault. Now I anticipate a real filling, sanding, and scribing treat to eliminate the step right there at the join.

Progress_5_Nov.15.jpg

Progress_6_Nov.15.jpg

I'm still very happy with it, and am a true fan of this kit. So far, other than the fuselage join and my crappy cleanup at the fin root, the model is really nice to work with.

• Like 3

some thin stretched sprue the thickness or a fraction thicker than the gap will sort those gaps out.

Much easier to clean up and get a smooth finish plus less chance of excess "filler damage".

I love it as these fuselages come together and you get to see the aircrafts lovely lines!

It's looking good!

• Like 1

some thin stretched sprue the thickness or a fraction thicker than the gap will sort those gaps out.

Much easier to clean up and get a smooth finish plus less chance of excess "filler damage".

Thankyou for the hint. I'm going to try that here and there.

This is coming along much slower than most of you, but, still moving.

Just a couple of shots of the stretched sprue seam fill shared with me. I think it's working out really well.

Progress_7_%281%29.jpg

Progress_7_%284%29.jpg

I'm a heavy handed seam sander. I very nearly sanded right through the lower intake cowling, and had to add a tiny strip of plastic sheet to rebuild after my folly:

Progress_8_%281%29.jpg

After I blacked the intake, the repair became virtually invisible:

Progress_9_%281%29.jpg

Next step is rescribing the lines I sanded away, and then learning how to sand properly in the first place.

• Like 5

Glad you found my little hints helpful! They certainly did the trick, well done!!

She's looking great and you're making good progress, don't worry about the time, you have plenty! Think you could probably do at least another one in the time you'll have leftover after finishing this one! ;)

Just keep up the steady progress and you'll have a really lovely model!

Ok, I admit I'm working on another model, which is why this build is snailing along.

Anyway, if I can slide a piece of card stock between the canopy joins, then something must be wrong. The canopy fit on this kit is the only gripe I have. This is a fine model to work with, otherwise.

I tried to fix this:

Progress_10_%281%29.jpg

Progress_10_%284%29.jpg

Progress_10_%282%29.jpg

I decided to use some of that stretched sprue as a filler again. Probably not the wisest choice for canopy filler; I just hope it will look better after paint.

As you can see, there are other smaller canopy cracks that need attention. Thinking of using white carpenters glue as the filler, perhaps.

• Like 1

As it were, there was a bad step at the rear canopy to fuselage join. Probably, it was mostly my fault for attaching the canopy not quite straight. I did decide it had to be trued up somehow.

So I decided to add a small slab of .010 sheet, and Tamiya putty fill, risking an obvious out-of-wack aircraft spine. After it was sanded out, I applied a little primer to get an idea how I was doing. The process pictured below:

Progress_11_%281%29.jpg

Progress_11_%282%29.jpg

Progress_11_%283%29.jpg

Progress_11_%284%29.jpg

I know it can be seen, but, I'm still happier with this than having that ugly, unnatural step. Now, I have to rescribe the rescribed areas one more time.

Funny how a fella never notices the cat hair until a photo is seen.

• Like 1

some really nice recovery work there, well done.

Oh and it took me a while to find the cat hair! ;)

You know you could include it in a photo every so often and have it as a "Where's Wally" challenge? :D

• Like 1

I've rescribed as much as I'm going to; too heavy-handed again, as per usual with my modelling.

Since I've been using that wonderful stretched sprue filler idea, I'm finding the tightest joins I've ever had. It's great. Now the model is mostly ready for prime, with all major parts attached except for the wing tanks. These are presently undergoing another borrowed idea make-over.:

Progress_12_%282%29.jpg

Progress_12_%281%29.jpg

Progress_12_%283%29.jpg

Hope to get to the painting fun part by the weekend. That is, so long as the wife doesn't want to go ice-fishing; her hobby.

• Like 3