Trumpeter 1:200th USS Iowa (1944).

BB61.jpg

us_bb_8.gif

USS Iowa (BB-61) is the lead ship of her class of battleship and the fourth in the United States Navy to be named in honor of the 29th state. Owing to the cancellation of the Montana-class battleships, Iowa is the last lead ship of any class of United States battleships and was the only ship of her class to have served in the Atlantic Ocean during World War II.

During World War II, she carried President Franklin D. Roosevelt across the Atlantic to Mers El Kébir, Algeria, en route to a crucial 1943 meeting in Tehran with Prime Minister Winston Churchill of Britain and Josef Stalin, leader of the Soviet Union. She has a bathtub—an amenity installed for Roosevelt, along with an elevator to shuttle him between decks. When transferred to the Pacific Fleet in 1944, Iowa shelled beachheads at Kwajalein and Eniwetok in advance of Allied amphibious landings and screened aircraft carriers operating in the Marshall Islands. She also served as the Third Fleet flagship, flying Adm. William F. Halsey's flag at the Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay. During the Korean War, Iowa was involved in raids on the North Korean coast, after which she was decommissioned into the United States Navy reserve fleets, better known as the "mothball fleet." She was reactivated in 1984 as part of the 600-ship Navy plan and operated in both the Atlantic and Pacific Fleets to counter the recently expanded Soviet Navy. In April 1989, an explosion of undetermined origin wrecked her No. 2 gun turret, killing 47 sailors.

Iowa was decommissioned for the last time in the year 1990, and was initially stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in 1995. She was reinstated from 1999 to 2006 to comply with federal laws that required retention and maintenance of two Iowa-class battleships. In 2011 USS Iowa was donated to the Los Angeles–based non-profit Pacific Battleship Center and was permanently moved to Berth 87 at the Port of Los Angeles in 2012, where she was opened to the public as the USS Iowa Museum.

Namesake: The State of Iowa

Ordered: 1 July 1939

Builder: New York Naval Yard

Laid down: 27 June 1940

Launched: 27 August 1942

Sponsored by: Ilo Wallace

Commissioned: 22 February 1943

Decommissioned: 24 March 1949

Recommissioned: 25 August 1951

Decommissioned: 24 February 1958

Recommissioned: 28 April 1984

Decommissioned: 26 October 1990

Struck: 17 March 2006

Homeport: Norfolk, Virginia (after 1980s refit)

Motto: "Our Liberties We Prize, Our Rights We Will Maintain"

Nickname(s):

"The Big Stick" (1952),

"The Grey Ghost" (Korean War)

Honors and

awards: 11 battle stars

Fate: Museum ship

Status: On display at the Pacific Battleship Center at the Port of Los Angeles

Notes: Last lead ship of any class of US battleship

Class & type: Iowa-class battleship

Displacement: 45,000 tons

Length: 887 ft 3 in (270.43 m)

Beam: 108 ft 2 in (32.97 m)

Draft: 37 ft 2 in (11.33 m)

Speed: 33 kn (38 mph; 61 km/h)

Complement: 151 officers, 2637 enlisted

Armament:

1943:

9 × 16 in (406 mm)/50 cal Mark 7 guns

20 × 5 in (127.0 mm)/38 cal Mark 12 guns

80 × 40 mm/56 cal anti-aircraft guns

49 × 20 mm/70 cal anti-aircraft cannons

1984:

9 × 16 in (406 mm)/50 cal Mark 7 guns

12 × 5 in (127.0 mm)/38 cal Mark 12 guns

32 × BGM-109 Tomahawk cruise missiles

16 × RGM-84 Harpoon Anti-Ship missiles

4 × 20 mm/76 cal Phalanx CIWS

Armor:

Belt: 12.1 in (307.3 mm)

Bulkheads: 11.3 in (287.0 mm)

Barbettes: 11.6 to 17.3 in (294.6 to 439.4 mm)

Turrets: 19.7 in (500 mm)

Decks: 7.5 in (190.50 mm)

Aircraft carried: floatplanes, helicopters, UAVs

[Text courtesy of WikiPedia]

This then to be my build log of the Trumpeter 1:200th scale Battleship BB61 USS Iowa (1945).

I propose taking a little longer than usual over this particular build, not least because having also laid out some hard won cash for the "Pontos" deck upgrade set, I have yet to make my mind up whether or not to spring another £160 for the remaining "Pontos" upgrade sets, bearing in mind that I have just purchased a new airbrush too!

I might see if I can sell on a few of my die cast models to raise some modelling capital. I don't really want to part with them but a HUGE project like this will keep my mind occupied whilst undergoing the cancer treatment in the new year and will also stop me from going mad with boredom!

Now having said that, the one part of the build that I might start on right away though that is worrying me is the three-piece hull assembly. It looks like Trumpeter have done an exceptional job of the fit but I'm still worried that the single vertical butt joint may show even through the filler and the paint.

Trumpeter have not molded any hull plate lines so sanding will not cause any anxious moments but I'm still not over competent about my filling and sanding abilities, so I want to get that particular job out of the way so that I can relax (?) about the rest of the build..

Well, that's started the log, thanks for looking in and I'll update as soon as I have anything of interest to report.

Cheers,

Pete.

iowa001.jpg

The Pontos deck upgrade set arrived today. It looks very nice indeed if somewhat fragile.

I chose the kit (1944) as I quite liked the B20 blue decks as applied to "Iowa" during that period, it makes a nice change to the usual oak or teak decks usually found on warships.

I have discovered that my original paint plan, (same scheme as Nelson), would be out of time as she didn't wear measure 22 until after her 1945 re-fit and modifications. So fortunately I was able to change my paint order and will now be painting her up in measure 32-1b camouflage scheme as she appeared at the "Battle Of Leyte Gulf".

TR03706-3.jpg

I have finished building the hull and am quite satisfied with the hull joint, after several "fun" hours with repeated rounds of putty, sand, putty, sand, putty, sand, priming, sand, priming and rubbing down, priming and much finer rubbing down, I am quite pleased with the final result and am reasonably confident that it shouldn't embarrass me at a later date! (Joint shown in photo is between the red lines).

I got blisters on my palm from drilling out all the portholes and pump scuttles!

IF I do decide to spring for the full monty upgrade set there will be further work on the hull, so I am taking stock and thinking hard about which route to take from here. The full set is phenomenal but would likely take a lifetime to complete all the hundreds and hundreds of etched parts and I'm not sure that I wouldn't run out of steam long before I reach the end but on the other hand I sort of relish the challenge, still I havn't got the money until later on so I'm not loseing any sleep as yet...

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,

Pete.

iowa010.jpg

iowa011.jpg

iowa012.jpg

iowa013.jpg

iowa014.jpg

The largest area I have ever airbrushed in one sitting!

Acres of "Anti-Fouling" coating...

The 5L grey has been applied and is under the masking tape.

Next up, the black "Boot Lining" and then the black measure 32/1a camouflage patterns above.

Slow going on the Pontos deck upgrade set but it's looking good even if I do have to say so myself...

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Pete.

iowa015.jpg

Here's an interesting video about Iowa's 16"x50 Rifles:

And now a couple of shots of the finished hull.

Measure 32-1b is quite a strange scheme as it calls for both soft and hard edges.

I will admit to taking one black section too far forward but by the time I realised it was too late.

Still, I'm happy that it looks like a reasonable representation of the scheme.

I have used enamels throughout the hull build, mixing my own colours as needed.

There are also a couple of coats of "Alclad" satin-matt varnish over the top and the jury is out on whether to weather or not...

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Pete.

A very weathered and battered looking "Iowa" at Kwajelaine:

Untitled-2.jpg

iowa016.jpg

Thankfully no sign of the hull joint!

iowa017.jpg

iowa018.jpg

A couple more size comparison photos with "Nelson" for fun.

iowa019.jpg

iowa020.jpg

Finally got all the Pontos etched brass goodies attached to the maindeck, there are quite a few more to follow on the other decks as well.

I've got to say that I have been very impressed with etched parts by Pontos, it's just that their instructions leave so much to be desired and a lot of judicious informed-guesswork is involved in it's fitting in some areas...

Also I could not let my mistake in the camo' markings go, and just had to put it right, much happier now!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Pete.[/color][/b]

iowa021.jpg

iowa022.jpg

iowa023.jpg

iowa024.jpg

iowa025a.jpg

iowa025.jpg

A major milestone has been reached today! x72x x70x x72x

I really was not looking forward to fitting the Pontos wooden decking as I thought that there would be a whole raft of things that could potentially go wrong.

I needn't have worried though, the actual fitting was a breeze and if needed the decking is quite forgiving in reality, although I didn't run in to any problems myself, I think it would be fairly easy to sort out if you did. I think that careful planning and preperation is the key to success!

In the end I didn't use the "sprayed water and slide into place" technique that I was originally planning on because as I say it was actually a lot easier than I thought.

The one thing that I did make certain of was to paint the edges of the decking with the appropiate deck colour, in this case B20 Deck Blue, before fitting the decking down on the model.

I would heartily recommend these Pontos wooden decks to anyone, although all the cutting out and prep' does make one wonder if its all worth it but I can assure you it is!

I am waiting for the delivery of the Kagero 3D book with baited breath before moving any further along.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Pete.

iowa026.jpg

• Like 14

Wow! I am seriously tempted by one of these 1/200 mega-projects. Mind you, the amount of time it is taking for me to build a mere 1/350 small carrier means I'd have to live to about 120 to finish...

Still, the arrival of a 1/200 Hood could well tip me over the edge

I have just ordered the full Pontos upgrade set from Japan, should be with me next week!

Oh Lord, what have I done? :wacko:
Thanks for your kind comments guys.

Cheers,

Pete.

• Like 1

iowa018.jpg

I didn't realise they converted her to a ferry after the war :winkgrin: ...sorry couldn't resist

That is seriously good, I'm so tempted to get one.

I didn't realise that she was so much bigger then the Nelson.

I went aboard the Iowa when she was in Portsmouth, in I think Sept 1989, my only experience of a Battleship and very impressive it was to, as is your model.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Sorry guys, I havn't posted any updates because I was diagnosed with the big C.

I have had all the chemo and radio therapy and are actually feeling quite good but I think that it will be a while before I can commit to carrying on with Iowa.

I am doing a bit of American O gauge railroad modelling for "fun" just to keep my hand in.

Yes I will return to Iowa but not yet.

Cheers,

Pete.

• Like 1

I have just ordered the full Pontos upgrade set from Japan, should be with me next week!

Oh Lord, what have I done? :wacko:

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi Pete.

The Pontos upgrade sets are awesome (I have about 15 of them :) ), but the instuctions can be taxing.

Can you sell the deck upgrade set or did you use it?

Cheers and looking great!

argh1962

• 2 months later...

Just letting folks know that I am now well enough to continue my voyage through my Trumpeter 1:200th USS Iowa with all the "Pontos Detail Up" sets!

I'm glad to be back in the saddle after my recent health scare.

Cheers,

Pete.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

wow that is some seriously nice PE work there! I love the gun barrels - I think 200th scale is OK to have such things but @ 350th I think it is a bit OTT

Really enjoying this come together

Si