Hi all!

So these were part of the resent BofB GB but unfortunately didn't get completed to the deadline.

They are all from 151 squadron and were inspired by teddy Donaldson's biography, a cracking read if you have not done so already. In the book it spoke about his own experiences, the aircraft he flew over the battle and those that flew with him. Two of the aircraft mentioned in the book are two types of cannon firing protoypes that were sent to the squadron.

The aircraft I decided to go with are Teddy's mki tin wing, DZ-W, his last aircraft before leaving the squadron. Teddy had fought through France and the first half of the BofB with them and got through a number of airframes, leaving two of them in the channel. A brass model of this aircraft was given to teddy by the squadron on his departure. I made this from the new airfix mki rag wing with a cut and shut job on the old airfix wings and a full rescribe.

The other two were both flown by Dick Smith who arrived with 151 at the start of the battle. He came across the aircraft DZ-Z which had 2 20mm cannons in underslung pod's not to unlike the 40mm cannons on the mkii d. I used the freightdog resin kit which is a nice set.... but I lost the cannon barrels so I have replaced them with broken bits of lancaster UC legs, not perfect far from it but the best I could do! The codes were hand painted but they are wrong but I don't have the ability to redo them (sorry folks). The other hurricane he flew was the 4 cannon protoype DZ-C which according to him turned up after DZ-Z and was a mki with a C wing grafted on, which oddly is exactly how i did it! I grafted n the airfix mkii c wings onto a the ragwing. It is down as being a mki and not having the upgraded engine so was very underpowered and used a lot less than dz-Z, both saw actin and scored probable hits.

Enough of me wittering on here they are.

20151116_221404_zpsgz8x11rb.jpg

DZ-W

20151116_221026_zps3ywbv7xo.jpg

20151116_221041_zpsskff45wd.jpg

20151116_221103_zpskggkf90r.jpg

20151116_221127_zpsfunzkyxc.jpg

DZ-Z

20151116_220827_zpshafuux2z.jpg

20151116_220902_zpsztl191mc.jpg

20151116_220924_zpsqizso0vo.jpg

DZ-C

20151116_221150_zpstohapem2.jpg

20151116_221208_zpszvnooi3k.jpg

20151116_221229_zpsqqqthcqx.jpg

20151116_221246_zpslw8vccst.jpg

I am happy with the result, some could say they have been over weathered but I do like them dirty! They are not perfect, and there are inaccuracies, but this is the first none oob large project and feel it's been good!

For the wing changes etc the build thread is here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984681-151-squadron-3-ways/

any feedback would be great!

Cheers for sopping by

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 20

Hi Rob,

Congrats for the successful completion of an epic project! The replacement of the wings was a truly impressive feat, which I'm not sure I would venture into myself.

The results are great and the weathering is really good. I wouldn't say it is overdone, considering these aircraft saw a lot of action in a few months and there wasn't much time to keep things tidy.

I hope you now feel confident to tackle some other non-OOB projects :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Excellent work Rob. It's been a testing build by the look of things and a test of your resolve.

The end product was well worth the effort in my opinion. It's a project I will attempt someday I hope and the information you have gleaned will be invaluable so many thanks for sharing.

Regards

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks all I really appreciate the comments, especially as I have followed all of your builds and learnt so much from you all.

Woody37 the undersides are weathered using pastels and washes made from pastels. Uppers are the same but it doesn't show as well and on DZ-W came out a bit odd round the wing panel lines.... Possibly left it on too long.

Stew my only worry on the coades was on DZ-Z I used measurements from thinner codes more of the type used earlier in France with rag wings. All my ref pictures have the codes as the thicker 30-36 inch... But I'm happy

Jamie, cheers very much, I do feel much more confident after this. I have a few plans but I think I will have some oob builds while I try to finish the stuff I have in the KUTA GB

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

Excellent work Rob. It's been a testing build by the look of things and a test of your resolve.

The end product was well worth the effort in my opinion. It's a project I will attempt someday I hope and the information you have gleaned will be invaluable so many thanks for sharing.

Regards

Jim

Cheers Jim, hope it is some help! And thanks for the kind comments

Rob

Sean, Tony, thanks for the comments! I am really pleased with how the wings turned out, really built my confidence in work like this.

Also another thank you to Tony for doing his original conversion on this kit as I learnt a lot and would not have thought to do it otherwise

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks ozzy and knight_flyer I appreciate it.

Knight_flyer, yeah it does look a bit odd which is what drew me to it, especially the mki with c wing! Not something you ever see in DE DG over sky...

Rob

Edited by rob85