Buccaneer S2B Airfix 1/48th

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Regarding the cockpit, I have removed the navigator's circular plinth and now the seat's position in relationship to the remaining right side consul is okay. So the plan is now to remove the rear bulkhead, separate the front from the rear cockpit. Re-connect the rear cockpit to the rear bulkhead higher up, and then add the central bulkhead to the front of the rear 'pit, at the same height. I can then build up the navigator's cockpit and then the pilot's, from there. What can possibly go wrong?

Incidentally, I have another Buccaneers in the wings and am planning on converting that to an S1. The Maintrack set was 1/72nd scale Martin, and predates the 1/48th kit by some years. The Heritage Aviation set consist of the intakes only, I think they used to sell the non-bulged bomb bay, but not now. I hope I have said non- bulged bomb bay somewhere in one of my spares boxes.........

Edited by Bill Clark

I'll follow this thread for sure. I've the main airframe components together straight from the box on my 1/48 S.50 and have applied the PRU Blue and Dark Sea Grey SAAF scheme. It must be the thick end of 10 years since I last did any work on it though.

Edited by JosephLalor

I have 3 of these to build. It is, by far the coolest low level bomber ever. The first one this year is going to be in the infamous 'red flag' scheme. Look forward to seeing this build. Great start!

I have 3 of these to build. It is, by far the coolest low level bomber ever. The first one this year is going to be in the infamous 'red flag' scheme. Look forward to seeing this build. Great start!

I built this one a few years ago.....probably ten years or more actually............I should have used Light Stone rather than Mid-stone...oops! By all accounts the temporary paint baked onto the planes under the hot Nevada sun, and was quite difficult to remove...

IMG_3301.jpg

• Like 8

Having been up close and personal with these beauties (a good few years ago now mind you) I'm following this with great interest.

Following someone with the skill you have Bill I'm hopping to pick up a tip or two to give me the courage to tackle the two or three I have in the stash.

As far as the finish go's I'm with Derby..... 809 nas all the way.

RR

Having been up close and personal with these beauties (a good few years ago now mind you) I'm following this with great interest.

Following someone with the skill you have Bill I'm hopping to pick up a tip or two to give me the courage to tackle the two or three I have in the stash.

RR

I'm still not decided as to the scheme yet. I have used the smaller wing-tips, a result of mod 1736, undertaken on some chosen airframes from Aug 89 onwards, apparently, so I'm restricted by that, unless I replace the tips of course, which I could do.....so, as it stands I may do it In overall pink, or medium sea grey/camo grey...we shall see. Edited by Bill Clark

Right...on to the cockpit.

Starting from the navigator's office, you may recall that I had, unnecessarily, actually, removed the navigators left hand consul

....and here it is, removed in all of its glory

IMG_0892_zps5ti3hz96.jpg

As I had decided that the whole of the navigator's station could do with being raised, I separated the pilot's office and the rear bulkhead..

IMG_0898_zpsedoklpw9.jpg

so this all had to be re-built...with the floor and consuls raised by approx 4mm, more-or-less the height of the plinth. the seat is being used to check clearances

IMG_0899_zpsmoallydd.jpg

I've added plastic card overlay floor and rear bulkhead...

IMG_0911_zpsjugu3qhx.jpg

..and have test fitted the rear pit into the upper fuselage shell. Also added are side walls. These hide the gaping chasm where the intakes are...i'll add detail later

IMG_0913_zpslozqvevy.jpg

IMG_0912_zpsmz6uzlbw.jpg

And the seat added for clearance/heights etc.,

IMG_0915_zpsbi18n0ou.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 6

Very interesting thread this. I've always wanted to do a Bucc in 48 scale but have held off doing an Airfix job in the hope a new kit will be released. If that doesn't happen your tuition here will be very useful! By the way didn't they call it the Banana Jet? Did Airfix take this literally when pressing this kit, I hear the fuselage has more warp than a Star Trek episode!

Early RAFG would look gorgeous - 16 Sqn @ 1974 :-)

Hi Gary, well, I can't really do an RAFG machine as I want to use the IFR probe. I've also added the small wing tips, so that restricts me to 1989-1994, unless of course I re-attach the larger wing-tips...I anticipate building an S2B with Martel fit, so I will need to move the weapons pylons.....I might yet opt for a 12Sqn "Op Pulsator" machine with Paveway if I change the wing-tips...decisions, decisions....

Very interesting thread this. I've always wanted to do a Bucc in 48 scale but have held off doing an Airfix job in the hope a new kit will be released. If that doesn't happen your tuition here will be very useful! By the way didn't they call it the Banana Jet? Did Airfix take this literally when pressing this kit, I hear the fuselage has more warp than a Star Trek episode!

Yeah! It is warped all right and no mistake! I've aligned the nose and tried to twist the rear into shape. No luck. This will need to be glued section by section..nose, rear fuselage and then the wings and centre. Superglue will help!

(For the uninitiated the 'Banana Jet' tag was I believe, a reference to it being the 'Blackburn Advanced Naval Aircraft' ..)

• Like 1

RR

Well, I suppose I could do XX894, as she is now......though I do have another kit in the stash, which could be 'Navalised'....

I built this one a few years ago.....probably ten years or more actually............I should have used Light Stone rather than Mid-stone...oops! By all accounts the temporary paint baked onto the planes under the hot Nevada sun, and was quite difficult to remove...

That's the one on my 2016 to do list...what a scheme

Nice progress Bill. I just did a check and discovered that Maintrack did the S1 conversion in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales. I think may still have the conversion kit somewhere.

Martin

Great start Bill, as I mentioned in your pm if there's anything you need just ask. I never did build one of these but it does sound 'Interesting', (think I'll stick to the 1/24th beastie for now, sounds easier !). Apparently, according to the guys at Airfix the original moulds were damaged a while back so it's highly unlikely that it'll ever be re-released, maybe a blessing......which would pave the way for an all new release, (maybe). There are a lot of subtle differences between upgrades of types which made pinning down one particular airframe a bit of a challenge. A friend of mine in the village I live in, 'Teddy' Edwards was co of 16 squadron, Laarbruch and gave me a lot of interesting info on the type as he was involved with the low level avionics upgrades on the S2B and delivered many of the modified airframes from Martlesham Heath so was able to let me know which aircraft had what fitted and when. His flying tales of the old brick are a joy to listen too, and his log book makes great reading, hopefully he can be persuaded to write a tome on the subject......I'm banking on a bottle of single malt doing the trick ! (He was quite blown away with my 1/24th project, yet another good reason for finishing it !)

Nice progress Bill. I just did a check and discovered that Maintrack did the S1 conversion in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales. I think may still have the conversion kit somewhere.

Martin

I never knew that Martin, I was well aware of the 1/72nd set, but not the 1/48th. It must have been issued after the 1/72nd set, I used to go down to their shop in Hastings a lot in those days and remember his Javelin sets etc., Do you remember....did it include the early bomb bay as well as the intakes?

Great start Bill, as I mentioned in your pm if there's anything you need just ask. I never did build one of these but it does sound 'Interesting', (think I'll stick to the 1/24th beastie for now, sounds easier !). Apparently, according to the guys at Airfix the original moulds were damaged a while back so it's highly unlikely that it'll ever be re-released, maybe a blessing......which would pave the way for an all new release, (maybe). There are a lot of subtle differences between upgrades of types which made pinning down one particular airframe a bit of a challenge. A friend of mine in the village I live in, 'Teddy' Edwards was co of 16 squadron, Laarbruch and gave me a lot of interesting info on the type as he was involved with the low level avionics upgrades on the S2B and delivered many of the modified airframes from Martlesham Heath so was able to let me know which aircraft had what fitted and when. His flying tales of the old brick are a joy to listen too, and his log book makes great reading, hopefully he can be persuaded to write a tome on the subject......I'm banking on a bottle of single malt doing the trick ! (He was quite blown away with my 1/24th project, yet another good reason for finishing it !)

Yes indeed, thanks Melchie. I've been trawling through lists of modifications on various sites. www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk is probably the most comprehensive, I know CMR used that as a reference point when issuing their 1/72nd scale resin kits. As you say, it's a blessing in disguise, maybe, that the moulds were damaged. I'm sure the good souls at Airfix, wouldn't , or couldn't possibly wish that kit on any sane modeller. It was okay then, but they couldn't possibly issue it into today's modelling world, they'd be slaughtered!

That does of course leave the door wide ajar enough to encourage a new kit. I wonder whatever happened to Mr Song's 'project' . There was speculation that it was 1/32nd, though a lot of hope that it was 1/48th. That was a good few years ago..hmmm. I had hoped that Kinetic may bite the bullet, and that it would be the subject of their announcement at SWM. Sadly not. Still......early days!

And please do finish your 1/24th monster off, and encourage Teddy to write his book......

Cheers

Bill

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1

A bit more progress on mine....

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-810-1262647464.jpg

Nah....only kidding! If only it were mine!!! For the uninitiated, this is Mr Song's project mentioned in my post above...there is no way that this is 1/32nd, so who's kit? Some speculation previously that it may be Trumpeter or Hobby Boss.....whoever! When?!?

And reading a bit more on various sites, Kittyhawk's Jaguar looks very much like the work of said Mr Song, certainly looking at the photo's that appeared on here, and other sites of course at the same time as the Buccaneer....so that is another possibility......

Edited by Bill Clark

I haven't heard anything about his Bucc on the grapevine Bill, the trail seems to have gone cold for now which is a real shame after all the work that's gone into the project .I only know he's still active and would think with his link to Kittyhawk may result in them producing it, but who knows. I've tried to find out more but so far nothing, (I'll have a word with Ali and a few others to see if they know anything)....

• Like 1

I never knew that Martin, I was well aware of the 1/72nd set, but not the 1/48th. It must have been issued after the 1/72nd set, I used to go down to their shop in Hastings a lot in those days and remember his Javelin sets etc., Do you remember....did it include the early bomb bay as well as the intakes?

I can't remember if it included the bomb bay though I guess it must have done. must try and find what I did with the set, though with a stash into four figures that might be tricky! Maintrack also did the decals for an overall white, anti-flash aircraft of 809 Squadron in 1/48, I do know where those are though.

Martin

I can't remember if it included the bomb bay though I guess it must have done. must try and find what I did with the set, though with a stash into four figures that might be tricky! Maintrack also did the decals for an overall white, anti-flash aircraft of 809 Squadron in 1/48, I do know where those are though.

Martin

..you mentioning the decals Martin, I think I do remember it now. Were the decal's rub-down, as opposed to waterslide?

..you mentioning the decals Martin, I think I do remember it now. Were the decal's rub-down, as opposed to waterslide?

Yes, they were a kind of mixture between rub down and waterslide You place the decal in the desired location, rub it down and the apply water to the backing paper until it slides off. It was a shame that form of decal didn't catch on as it gave a real "painted on" look.

Martin

• Like 1

Yes, they were a kind of mixture between rub down and waterslide You place the decal in the desired location, rub it down and the apply water to the backing paper until it slides off. It was a shame that form of decal didn't catch on as it gave a real "painted on" look.

Martin

Yes, I had the Maintrack Phantom Sheet in 1/48th, in fact I may still have parts of it somewhere....some of the artwork was a bit "basic" but certainly useable..