Bartini Beriev VVA-14

Fishbed

The New Scientist is not quite right.......

a) It is a Beriev-Bartini 14M1P - its designation when 'converted' into an Ekranoplan.

b] It was originally designed by Roberto Bartini as the VVA-14 - a pure VTOL ASW platform - with 12 lift and 2 cruise engines (hence the number 14)

c) It isn't 'abandoned' - but resides at the Russian AF museum at Monino awaiting funds for reassemby to exhibition standard.

d) Because the 12 lift engines were never delivered, it was fitted with a temporary undercarriage and flew conventionally - successfully.

e) It was then converted into an ekranoplan - with a lengthened nose with two extra engines - this is the wreckage in the photo.

This is how it was originally designed by Bartini...... (it is hovering with its sonar deployed)

VVA-14_102.jpg

This is how it flew as the VVA-14 - with a temporary undercarriage and the rubber floats retracted....

VVA-14_94.jpg

Both my builds of the 1/72 scale Modelsvit kit are here.

This is its final form - as the Bartini 14M1P ekranoplan and how it sits today at Monino.... (this is the 1/144 scale Anigrand resin kit)....

12.jpg

Note the extended forward fuselage, two extra engines and rigid floats.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 4

Hoping Modelsvit bring out a Bartini 14M1P Ekranoplan... Was it just the one airframe built and modified Ken? Would love to see it back in one piece one day!

Hi Radleigh

I think so.

Some of the guys I went to Russia with visited Taganrog (Beriev base) on a previous trip - and reckon they saw the wreckage of a VVA-14 on a dump.

I think they also saw the Monino 14M1P on the same trip - so probably two airframes built.

Yefim Gordon says two airframes existed (of the 3 planned) - coded 1M and 2M.

1M was VVA-14 - later converted into 14M1P.

2M was partially completed and then scrapped.

So 1M is the Monino machine, 2M is probably what the boys saw at Taganrog.

Ken

Ken

• 5 years later...
On 16/11/2015 at 12:16, Flankerman said:

The New Scientist is not quite right.......

a) It is a Beriev-Bartini 14M1P - its designation when 'converted' into an Ekranoplan.

b] It was originally designed by Roberto Bartini as the VVA-14 - a pure VTOL ASW platform - with 12 lift and 2 cruise engines (hence the number 14)

c) It isn't 'abandoned' - but resides at the Russian AF museum at Monino awaiting funds for reassemby to exhibition standard.

d) Because the 12 lift engines were never delivered, it was fitted with a temporary undercarriage and flew conventionally - successfully.

e) It was then converted into an ekranoplan - with a lengthened nose with two extra engines - this is the wreckage in the photo.

This is how it was originally designed by Bartini...... (it is hovering with its sonar deployed)

VVA-14_102.jpg

This is how it flew as the VVA-14 - with a temporary undercarriage and the rubber floats retracted....

VVA-14_94.jpg

Both my builds of the 1/72 scale Modelsvit kit are here.

This is its final form - as the Bartini 14M1P ekranoplan and how it sits today at Monino.... (this is the 1/144 scale Anigrand resin kit)....

12.jpg

Note the extended forward fuselage, two extra engines and rigid floats.

Ken

Hello Ken.
I’m interested at the Beriev-Bartini 14M1P.  I’m currently in the developing stage for a RC model of this very unusual aircraft.

A flying model of the VVA-14 (with two jets only) will be very difficult to balance (too tail heavy) so the 4-jets 14M1P could be a better solution and more powerful too. Of course I will use 64 or 72 mm. diameter EDF (electric Ducted Fans).

A scale 14M1P RC model can be used on water and also on wet grass or snow.
I’m thinking about a model of 1.3 meters wingspan and 1,1 meters lenght and probably I will use yellow foam for the fuselage and fiberglassed balsa wood for wing, elevators and rudders.

As you can image It’s a very challenging project …..but I really love this sci-fi looking plane!

At this moment I have a not-so-good 3-views plans for documentation and scale measurements.

Unfortunately the 1/144 kit from Anigrand is very expensive so I’m asking you if you can do some more hi-resolution photos of your 14M1P (4-jets) model.

Maybe you can send me the images with We-Transfer.

Thank-You very much and sorry for my very basic English.

Ettore (www.quenda.it)

On 05/02/2021 at 23:06, Shorty84 said:

Hi @equenda,

don't know which 3-views you are using but these are maybe the best plans for the VVA-14/14M1P you'll find: http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw2/vva14aiv.html

Cheers

Markus

Thank-You Markus.

The plans are divided in several files so with the help of a very useful feature of Adobe Photoshop (the Photomerge automatic composition), I have joined the files and now I have two vey good drawings, one of the VVA-14 two jet version and one of the 14M1P 4-jets version.

The very first step of my 14M1P-RC-MODEL project will be to use these 2D drawings for create a 3D model with Rhinoceros or another 3D CAD software.

In the 3D design process some more photos of a 14M1P completed kit can be very, very useful to check all the complicate shapes of the fuselage and floats.

Thanks again.

ettore

• Like 1