Hobby Boss Spitfire MKVb 1/32 SNM EN821

Hi all. This is very late arriving here I made this in December 2013 for my Dad's Christmas Present and I finished it in the small hours of Christmas Eve after working on it for a few weeks every day.

A wonderful kit for the money a bargain and highly recommended to anyone wanting a nice big Spit. It has a few issues with the front canopy and rear fuselage for a MKVB I am told.

This aircraft has always been special to our Family as my Dad had an Original of the painting of this aircraft coming out of a stormy sky.

I had to got to Mel at Miracle Masks who made me the codes which you can't get in decal form having an odd font and size. Same goes for the serials which Pip Moss kindly made for me in decal form. Both performed wornderfully. I brush painted the Codes, spinner and band with revel aqua sky. The main colours are HU163,106,165 From a rattle can and Humbrol Matt varnish from a spray can.

I added a metal foil mirror, Decal instrument gauges and used a citadel wash in the cockpit along with the wrong colour green...

The decals where good but fragile so watch for that.

Chalks where used for the weathering.

All in all a great kit :)

DFB8CAB0-B942-4276-BD15-DC0E7E3782A7_zps

2C8A7899-F64D-45DF-84F9-2907136D75DF_zps

9C0C5E91-B750-4DE3-A5B1-5CB70470F26A_zps

C6B6E5B6-C246-4912-BF21-5F19AB51FA00_zps

4FF504B6-0BA0-4CDD-BADA-F7D31763CFC2_zps

F748E09A-15DE-4F86-8130-1E942047E376_zps

B6829306-0D71-4C29-8309-63046EFA8662_zps

199551B8-3A4A-4737-930D-873A8A4A8037_zps

0F90ECB5-2011-4132-AF54-0814E8882773_zps

5B84230A-00E5-4B9B-8233-3CFC2EAE07F9_zps

A494280F-A05E-42AA-9192-24301A31BBBC_zps

76798795-C0CB-4811-BA9E-7007E1C89467_zps

555EA1DC-A288-46FB-9FB3-616703914444_zps

AA402B53-2EB6-4296-96AB-1CD8AEB4424C_zps

43296E3D-624C-4DEA-992A-BDD8FFC38292_zps

Cheers Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 17

You're referring to Barry Clark's iconic painting, I suppose?

That's a stunning Spitfire model you've created. The b&w photos are difficult to tell from the real thing! And, it's one of the few Spit models I've seen that have the cockpit hatch at the correct angle from the fuselage – neat!

You have to wonder, though, how the pilot could get the crowbar out from the hatch, should the need arise… ;-)

Superb, and not over-weathered, representation!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

You're referring to Barry Clark's iconic painting, I suppose?

That's a stunning Spitfire model you've created. The b&w photos are difficult to tell from the real thing! And, it's one of the few Spit models I've seen that have the cockpit hatch at the correct angle from the fuselage – neat!

You have to wonder, though, how the pilot could get the crowbar out from the hatch, should the need arise… ;-)

Superb, and not over-weathered, representation!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Yes indeed that is the Painting. Thanks for the nice words and I guess the hatch is just down to the good fit of the kit. I think I added that last. Not sure now.

Masking the pit was a bit tricky but I got there in the end with blue tak.

Glad you like her. The panels are gappy but that is because they are held on with blue tak for now. I painted all the engine detail. I need some taky wax really.

Cheers :)

Superb Spitfire Rob, those first 4 photos show it off beautifullly,

Sean

Thanks very much sean cheers Rob :)

Hi Rob. That is a really beautiful Spitfire! And, as the others have mentioned, you'd be hard pressed to tell that those B&W photos were't of the actual aircraft. Stunning work. Well done. :worthy::worthy:

• Like 1

Hello,Rob - Wow! My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Spitfire'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and in this scale she has some real 'ramp presence'.I'm sure your Dad will be very proud of this fine tribute and you must be too.All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Remember it well Rob, a fine job you made of it, in fact I'm in the depths of the same kit at the moment !

Cheers

Dennis

Yes Dennis and thanks for your help through the Build. I need to go back and sort that wip out as I managed to screw up all the photos for it..

How are you finding the Kit. I will look and see if you have a wip.

Cheers :)

Stunning Spit. As others have said the b&w pix are very evocative.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor :)

Hi Rob. That is a really beautiful Spitfire! And, as the others have mentioned, you'd be hard pressed to tell that those B&W photos were't of the actual aircraft. Stunning work. Well done. :worthy::worthy:

Thanks very much mate and I love your recent Spitfire builds. I have a few on the stash so I have been taking notes.

I am really taken with the new Airfix one with the Dark earth Dark grey scheme. Very cool and not one I had seen before.

Rob :)

Hello,Rob - Wow! My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Spitfire'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and in this scale she has some real 'ramp presence'.I'm sure your Dad will be very proud of this fine tribute and you must be too.All the very best,Paul.

Cheers Paul shame I only saw you Briefly at Telford hopefully see you at Hudds. My Dad loves it which is great. Even better as he now wants to fill down stairs with more models :)

Rob :)

• Like 1

Hello,Rob - You're more than welcome.That's one splendid Spitfire indeed! Delighted about your Dad loving it so much too.More ramp space,eh? I can see a QRA DIspersal with several Vulcans on it !? Looking forward to seeing you at Huddersfield Show.We'll be maintaining radar contact in the meantime! All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Something wrong with that Rob, but I can't think what it is? Oh yes, no delta wing....!!

Cracking build that & what an excellent Cristmas present to get, so much better than socks!!

And agree with all the others, those B&W pics are brilliant!

Lovely model!

Keith

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello Rob,

I don't know how I missed this but it is SIMPLY STUNNING Spitfire.

I lik the black and white old style photos..At first I thought you were showing the REAL aircraft .. WOW nice bit of photographing ..

WOWZER !! :mike::mike:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,Rob - You're more than welcome.That's one splendid Spitfire indeed! Delighted about your Dad loving it so much too.More ramp space,eh? I can see a QRA DIspersal with several Vulcans on it !? Looking forward to seeing you at Huddersfield Show.We'll be maintaining radar contact in the meantime! All the very best,Paul.

Good looking model - love the black and white shots. Tried a similar thing with a 48th scale MkV, here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983849-airfix-148-supermarine-spitfire-mk-vb-usaaf-additional-unedited-photos/

Nice one Rob! I does you good to build a Spitfire every now and then I know :)

John

Something wrong with that Rob, but I can't think what it is? Oh yes, no delta wing....!!

Cracking build that & what an excellent Cristmas present to get, so much better than socks!!

And agree with all the others, those B&W pics are brilliant!

Lovely model!

Keith

Hello Rob,

I don't know how I missed this but it is SIMPLY STUNNING Spitfire.

I lik the black and white old style photos..At first I thought you were showing the REAL aircraft .. WOW nice bit of photographing ..

WOWZER !! :mike::mike:

Thanks for all the comments. I am very sorry I'm so late replying I've not even logged in for months now and not touched modeling at all. It's been a funny few months my Dad had a stroke, Me and the Mrs Broke up. Been busy with my new band and recording and EP and busy with extra shifts at work.

I hope to return soon I'm missing modelling, Britmodeller and you guys :)

All the best Rob :)

Welcome back Rob, thought you hadn't been around recently, hope your dad is on the mend & things generally are getting better now.

Keith

Cheers for that Keef mate. I've missed it. I'm hoping to crack on with some of the many unfinished models soon and do some catching up.

How's life for you dude :)

Can't complain Rob, & even if I did no one would listen! :)

I'm also trying to clear some of the shelf of doom - so far this year I've managed to finish an Airfix 1/72 Canberra - that I started around 2010...!! :banghead:

K

• Like 2

Can't complain Rob, & even if I did no one would listen! :)

I'm also trying to clear some of the shelf of doom - so far this year I've managed to finish an Airfix 1/72 Canberra - that I started around 2010...!! :banghead:

K

Yes I feel the same lol. Like you I have models stil hanging around unfinished since 2010 on. Silly really. I have a Canbera in near finished state since 2014 or 13 now ! I love Canberras and want to make more by I really need to clear some space as There are boxes of bits and kits all over the shop. It's nice having more than one project on the go but it does have its problems too slowing the pace and clogging up your space.

Love to see your Canberra :)

• Like 2

I'll try & get some pics of it when I can get a camera working! DSLR is refusing to read memory cards, and the two compacts are both eating batteries at the moment!

K

That would be good I wondered if it was in Ready for Inspection see, I'll keep an eye out :)