Revell Halifax Mk.III, MZ500, C8-L, 640 Sq, RAF Leconfield Sept. 1944

Hiya Folks,

Here is the new Revell Halifax Mk.III with Aeroclub metal propellers and with a few slight modifications including the reduction in the size of the engine cowling openings using plastic card, the clear nose cone was sanded from the inside to remove the unsightly mould marks with a Coastal Craft white metal Vickers K Gun replacing the kits large .5 Browning, the small kit wheels were replaced by a set of Airfix Lancaster wheels, some plastic rod was used to replicate framework below the canopy of the Air Engineers station and after losing the trim weights on the ailerons umpteen times I made a more robust set from metal wire with a blob of Clear Fix on the end. If anybody is interested here is the Work in Progress;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234990192-new-172nd-revell-halifax-mkiii-nearly-done/?p=2132101D

The subject of this model is Halifax Mk.III, MZ500 `Bambi' which was flown by Dutchman Vic Wijnberg and his crew from RAF Leconfield in Yorkshire with 640 Sqn. Originally coded C8-N, following flak damage caused in a raid on L`Hey in August 1944 it received repairs following which it was re coded C8-L as seen on this model. The ventral Preston-Green gun fairing mounting a single .5 Browning machine gun was originally fitted and remained in place for its first few missions following repairs but it was replaced by a H2S radar scanner fairing in mid September 1944, so the model portrays how this aircraft probably looked during the first half of September 1944.

The decals for the nose art came from Dutch Decals but the yellow chequered tail markings and yellow outlined codes `C8' came from Xtradecal but after the intended yellow edged` L' from RAFDecal inexplicably disintegrated in the water (every other sheet that I have used has been fantastic!) the `L' was instead made up from a Modeldecal red L with scrap decal yellow edging!

Anyway enough blurb,.....here is the model, I hope that there are not too many pics for you to wade through!;

DSCF6574_zpsb3rb2cca.jpg

DSCF6579_zpshmofiwqy.jpg

DSCF6580_zpsdj0kmwe9.jpg

DSCF6576_zpsp0yvnwm3.jpg

DSCF6575_zps4jmi213w.jpg

DSCF6578_zpswlsisntz.jpg

DSCF6581_zpsmd07ir6l.jpg

DSCF6585_zpspp8rza5x.jpg

DSCF6594_zps3fvzxxin.jpg

DSCF6596_zpsqucuphds.jpg

DSCF6583_zpszw1taczt.jpg

So thats the Revell Halibag Mk.III,.......it still has its faults but it is a much better prospect than the Merlin engined versions from the same manufacturer and I have two more in stock to get to grips with soon,......so it definitely has my vote!

I also meant to say, for anybody wanting to know more about 640 Sqn Bill Norman`s book "Halifax Squadron- The Wartime Bombing Operations of 640 Squadron, Leconfield" (isbn 0-9547325-1-0) is the place to go and thanks to Norman for his help with this model.

640%20sqn_zpsqiqpv2nl.jpg

Here is the page of his book dealing with MZ500;

img266_zpsil9lkusp.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 47

Incredible model, the first of this version I have seen built so far.

I've got this kit myself and hope it turns out half as good as yours!

The Hercules engined Halifax has always been one of my favorite "Heavies"!

Cheers from Vienna

Roman

• Like 1

Great to see, Tony; I'll be making my own model of 'Bambi' once I get my hands on a Revell kit (and finally get back to modelling after a longish layoff). The story behind the nose art is fantastic; I live only a short distance from Leconfield and I flew from Lec during a 'previous existence', so I have a plan eventually to create a small collection of Leconfield-based 'heavies' from Heyford to Lincoln. I've only built the Heyford so far, but the Halifax will be next!

• Like 1

Now that, Tony, is simply masterful, as nice as any of your superb collection that you've shared with us. I like the look of the kit too, its not looking good for my old Airfix one now. :(

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

A super model, Tony. I am VERY impressed by the 'lines' on the nose transparency turrets and canopy. I'm going to try solarfilm next. Did you use masks?

Jonny

• Like 1

Lovely Tony, great choice of markings. The kit may need some work but scrubs up rather well, look forward to adding one to our BC collection....interesting research there too.

Jonny re the framing, for my Airfix one I used the Montex mask set which if you reverse the bomb aimers oval viewing panels fit perfectly and saves you having to try hand painting them, the main framing was made up from matt black decal strip and turrets masked using Bare Metal Foil.

• Like 2

Really nice Tony. Well done.

One of those aircraft that was always the bridesmaid never the bride. It's also a lot bigger than you think.

Cheers

Dick

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

Thanks ever so much for your very kind comments and I`m glad that you like it,...cheers!

Jonny- I don`t usually mask my canopy frame lines and instead hand paint them as carefully as I can,.....using a wooden cocktail stick to tidy up afterwards! The only reason that I do this is because I`m rubbish at masking. The cockpit panels on this model were mostly masked this time to see if I could improve myself but all of the turrets and nose glazing were hand brushed.

Cheers again everybody,

Tony

Edited by tonyot