AFV 1/48 F-5F Iranian Air Force. Finished!

Thanks for the really nice comments guys much appreciated.

David the wash I used was a mix of Vallejo Dark Earth with a drop of Black which I then thin down a lot with water and apply with a thin brush to the panel lines and also use a wide brush in some places where there is a lot of recessed detail such as under the wings. After about 5 minutes I wipe it away in the direction of the airflow with a clean tissue, this is all done on the gloss surface as it makes it easier to wipe away and the paint wash is less likely to stick to the rest of the paint.

Mr B the Revell Aqua colour Beige I used is number 314, hope this is helpful to you. I didn't know there were two Beiges either.

Craig.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the encouragement guys, here are a couple of pics of how she looks at the moment.

Iran%20F-5%20001_zpsei4320is.jpg

The picture above shows that the horizontal stabilisers have been added, theses are simply a push fit with no glue used at all. As I said in an earlier post I did not follow the instructions at the time I was meant to follow these as leaving them off made it easier to clean up joints and to paint, for fitting them I simply cut the rod which connects the tail planes together in half and pushed them into the fuselage and into the piece that is meant to hold the tail surfaces in place.

Iran%20F-5%20002_zpsvtyzxxxk.jpg

A close up picture of the cockpit area which shows the masking removed and the actuator mechanism for the rear cockpit installed, you can also just catch a glimpse of the rather large fuel tank fitted to the central pylon. I chose to paint this in a metallic finish as they were used both in this state and painted in the same grey as the undersurfaces and i thought the Aluminium finish would add more variety to the scheme.

Iran%20F-5%20003_zpskecvag8q.jpg

A general view of the front from the starboard side showing that the gun and weapons pylons have also been added, hopefully there will be something to hang on them before too long in the form of two LAU-3 rocket pods and two Mk. 82 bombs ( I couldn't find any Snake-eye bombs).

Iran%20F-5%20004_zpsbbkvfztc.jpg

The final photo above shows one of the ejector seats just about ready to be fitted, this will be the rear seat as it does not have the added extensions fitted to the top of the seat as the front seat does. I just need to remove the extra resin from the bottom of the seat before I fit it.

Oh well that's it for now, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 11

Looks ace

The minor bits you added into the cockpit is paying dividends ......

Nice choice on the tank.....I wanted to do the same on mine as tanks were usually interchanged on Malaysian camo and alliuminum airframes.....but I had the grey in the airbrushed and just let it rip

Rgds

Mr b

• Like 1

Wow, thanks very much for the extremely kind comments guys they are very much appreciated.

I've got a bit more done again today and this is how the cockpit looks at the moment....

F-5%20Iran%20001_zpsxx7erv4p.jpg

The rear seat has been fitted and I have added a couple more details to the front office in the form of a flexible aluminium braided hose which is attached to the coaming behind the front seat, I have also added the two reinforcing struts which are fitted to the glass screen which protects the rear cockpit occupant in case of a bird strike or ejection of the front pilot. Hopefully the photo below will show this more clearly....

F-5%20Iran%20002_zpsu96kjk08.jpg

I have also added the extra parts fitted to the front seat on Iranian F-5's (canopy breakers?). I made these from some scrap plastic and drilled the lightening holes in them, fitted them to the seat and then added to strut between the two from some fine fuse wire. Hopefully you can see what I mean in the pictures below. A picture of how they should look can be found on post number 13 on this topic which was posted by Tom Cooper.

F-5%20Iran%20003_zps90l4spjv.jpg

F-5%20Iran%20005_zpszr7v9iik.jpg

That's it for today, tomorrow I shall fit the front seat and hopefully get the canopies fitted. After that there are just the decals for the serial number and TFB on the tail (which are on their way courtesy of Mr B ) and the weapons and probe, which I like to leave until last as I have a tendency to break them off. Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 9

Thanks again guys for the very kind words, they really mean a lot coming from people as talented as you all are.

No pictures tonight I'm afraid but I have fitted the seats and canopies and the AOA sensor on the stbd side of the cockpit. I have also got some of the decals from the AFV sheet to work after first coating them with some Klear and formed the aircraft's code numbers on the tail, they still tried to disintegrate but I was able to coax them back together enough to be able to use them and I can touch up a couple of areas with paint tomorrow.

Hopefully I can get some pictures up tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

Well as promised above here are some pictures of how my F-5 looks now.

Iran%20F-5%20001_zpskkuhzmsg.jpg

The photo above shows a general view of the airframe complete with seats and canopies.

Iran%20F-5%20004_zpsalscpcgc.jpg

A closer (but not brilliant) shot of the cockpit area which also shows the AOA sensor at the bottom right of the picture.

Iran%20F-5%20003_zpsheptupuj.jpg

And finally a view of the starboard tail surfaces complete with serial number and the aircraft's individual numbers in both Roman and Arabic numerals which I was able to fit as they turned up in the post today courtesy of Vesthepes (thank you so much my friend), which now means the only decals i need to finish this are the TFB decals which are on their way courtesy of Mr B.

As usual thanks for looking and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

I agree with rich......it really looks great with each update. I hope that the decals arrive soon. it's recorded so, you can track it.....should be there soon....but then again, a kit I ordered from U.K posted on the 10/12 has still not arrived .....

great looking f-5

rgds

• Like 1

Thanks again guys, very much appreciated.

Brian I have put the tracking numbers into the Royal Mail tracking system and it says there is a problem with the numbers, personally I think there is a problem with Royal Mail as they are less use than a chocolate fire guard.

Hopefully I will have another update regarding weapons tomorrow.

Craig.

Thanks again guys, very much appreciated.

Brian I have put the tracking numbers into the Royal Mail tracking system and it says there is a problem with the numbers, personally I think there is a problem with Royal Mail as they are less use than a chocolate fire guard.

Hopefully I will have another update regarding weapons tomorrow.

Craig.

Craig.....pls try tracking it on the Malaysian post website. www.pos.com.my, I did a track if it's anything to go by it left for the U.K on the 23rd of December and it was posted on the 18th....should be with you by the coming week. Hope they arrive well......pls let me know once it comes...the item I purchased from uk was posted on the 10th and arrived in Malaysia 31/12.

Best Reagrds

Brian

• Like 1