AFV 1/48 F-5F Iranian Air Force. Finished!

Time for what I hope will be the last update before she is finished.

The weapons have been finished and added to the aircraft as has the pitot and any remaining "fiddly bits", this is an almost overhead shot of how she looks now.

Iran%20F-5%20001_zpsbsnnicms.jpg

As you can see I have built and added the crew access ladders which are supplied in the kit, these are a really nice touch and AFV Club should be applauded for including them as you very rarely see a parked up F-5 without them when the canopies are open and it's nice to not have to fork out an obscene amount of money for an aftermarket set, they will help with the realism when I have her parked up on an apron. The picture below gives a closer look at them in place.

Iran%20F-5%20002_zpsdfhntjzb.jpg

As I said earlier she is fully armed and ready to go. I used the AIM-9L's from the kit which went together with no problems at all and are very nice, the Mk.82 bombs come from a Hobbycraft A-4 and the LAU-3 rocket pods are from a Hasegawa weapons set. I chose to fit the aerodynamic frangible noses to the rocket pods in keeping with the sleek look of the F-5. Here's a closer look at them.

Iran%20F-5%20003_zpsemragrzf.jpg

And here is an almost head on shot of her, the last sight of many an Iraqi soldier during the 1980-88 war.

Iran%20F-5%20004_zpsp0jnuuyb.jpg

The next update will be final reveal after the last decals I need arrive, hopefully next week.

As usual thanks to all of you for stopping by and posting your comments, all of which are very much appreciated.

Craig.

• Like 7

very nice!

but these are Aim-9P/N s, look at the front fins! but P/ N is correct for Iran :)

L/M have a very different design!

great build!

You are quite right, my mistake. I never was brilliant at the differences of missile families.

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone, you will no doubt be pleased to know that a letter arrived today from Malaysia with the required decals to finish the build (thank you so much Mr. B ) so hopefully she will be finished either this evening or tomorrow!

Thanks guys.

As you may have guessed from my previous post the replacement decals so kindly sent to me by Mr. B all the way from Malaysia suffered the same fate as my own and decided to shatter after being in water, at this point the air turned a little blue.

I did manage to salvage a couple of larger pieces and got them on the tail before giving up and going to bed. I shall try to fill in the missing areas with a thin marker pen, which will be interesting for the circle that the numbers are inside. Wish me luck.

To reiterate my earlier statement I HATE AFV Club decals! There must be a problem with them for two different sheets from two different parts of the World to have the exact same problem, so if you are building an AFV kit beware. The kit itself is great but its a real shame to have it let down by poor quality decals.

Hopefully I will share my progress, or lack of, tomorrow.

Craig.

Well plan B was about as successful as plan A and has reinforced my doubt in my artistic abilities.

Fortunately we inhabit a forum with members that are ho so selfless and helpful it is unbelievable. After having already received help in the form of decals from both Vesthepes and Mr. B I have now been offered help from Diego in the form of circles and numbers (both Western and Farsi). I am simply astonished by the help and encouragement all you guys have offered during my build and believe it truly is a Group Build as you have all had a part in it.

I am going to put this build on temporary hold until Diego's decals arrive so that I don't lose my enthusiasm for it or end up damaging the paint work with constant attempts to cobble something together. In the meantime I shall concentrate on my P-47's for that GB, but don't worry I shall return!

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a short break I have received and fitted all the replacement decals I needed to finish my build. All I need to do now is to spray a matt coat over them and re-fit the pitot probe which I inevitably knocked off whilst sorting the decals out. Hopefully I will get this sorted tomorrow and I will then post some pics, not that she looks too different from the last ones.

Thanks for your patience guys!

Craig.

• Like 1

Not being one who is noted for patience, isn't it about time you finished this one Craig?

I thought it was done when you grout it to the club and it certainly did not seem to need anything else doing to it. Superb!

• Like 1

Not having meant to test Andy and Rich's patience on purpose (or to put Rich's popcorn supply in danger) I suppose I had better post some pictures of the finished item, yes she is finally finished!

As any of you who have stumbled across this build before will know I would not have been able to finish her without the extremely kind assistance of fellow Britmodellers Vesthepes, Mr. B and Diego who have all sent me replacement decals to get over the problem of AFV Clubs amazing self shattering examples that they provide in the kit, thanks guys I am in your debt.

Anyway enough rambling here are the pictures....

F-5F%20006_zpscmft2bxf.jpg

F-5F%20005_zpsi3eneupt.jpg

F-5F%20007_zpssby9bcav.jpg

F-5F%20001_zpstq2mctyo.jpg

F-5F%20008_zpsr85sp0mr.jpg

And finally one of the tail area on the starboard side showing replacement decals supplied by Diego and Vesthepes.

F-5F%20003_zpsewhkgr4a.jpg

I will post some more pics in the Gallery.

I would like to finish by thanking the organiser of this GB Trickyrich for his hard work and continued support of all of us and everyone who has looked in during the build process and passed on their tips and comments, its the input from all of you which makes these GB's as rewarding as they are. Thanks for looking in (and your patience!) and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 6

:mike:

that really says it all for all this build!!

Wonderful job Craig and model to be really proud of. It's been a really good build to follow and I'm glad you enjoyed it...again well done!

• Like 1