AFV 1/48 F-5F Iranian Air Force. Finished!

Thanks Craig....will note the colors for my next Asian minor scheme....always liked that scheme......nice progress and the finer bits sets it off nicely....I fully agree with you on the rudder padels......since I am putting crew in mine not bothering ;)

Rgds

• Like 1

Do you get the felling Tom likes the F-5? :)

Possibly, but he hides it so well it's difficult to be certain.

Nice and interesting project.

And useful imput from Tom.

Thanks for looking in Antoine, much appreciated.

Tom's help is priceless, the information he has (and is more than willing to share) is just superb and can really help to fill in the back story of some really interesting aircraft and colour schemes. He has helped me on a couple of other Group Builds, and many others with their projects, and I cannot thank him enough.

Thanks Craig....will note the colors for my next Asian minor scheme....always liked that scheme......nice progress and the finer bits sets it off nicely....I fully agree with you on the rudder padels......since I am putting crew in mine not bothering ;)

Rgds

Thanks Mr. B.

Can't fault you for liking the Asia Minor scheme, in my opinion it's one of the nicest ones out there.

Nice work on the crew on your build by the way, very good indeed.

Craig.

On the subject of your Ogaden War book (and many of your others) have you ever had decal manufacturers contact you about the possibility of them producing sheets covering the aircraft in the books?

Hi Craig,

Re "Ogaden War" book: A "history" sheet covering Iranian F-5A&RF-5A as well as ex IIAF F-5A serving in Ethiopia, Morocco, Jordan, Greece, South Vietnam and Vietnam (still wearing the Asia Minor camo) is scheduled for release during the next year.

Also - even if not used during the Ogaden War - but covered in Tom's book, markings for Ethiopian (and Iranian) F-86F Sabres in Asia Minor camo are already available http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HD48034( HD 48034 & HD 72064) and of course eligible as prizes in this GB.

Another sheet, covering a.o. Ethiopian F-5Es is also in preparation.

Greetings

Diego / HDL

Edited by Diego
  • Like 3

Hi Craig,

Re "Ogaden War" book: A "history" sheet covering Iranian F-5A&RF-5A as well as ex IIAF F-5A serving in Ethiopia, Morocco, Jordan, Greece, South Vietnam and Vietnam (still wearing the Asia Minor camo) is scheduled for release during the next year.

Also - even if not used during the Ogaden War - but covered in Tom's book, markings for Ethiopian (and Iranian) F-86F Sabres in Asia Minor camo are already available http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HD48034( HD 48034 & HD 72064) and of course eligible as prizes in this GB.

Another sheet, covering a.o. Ethiopian F-5Es is also in preparation.

Greetings

Diego / HDL

Hi Diego, thanks for looking in.

I am really looking forward to the release of your upcoming F-5 sheets, looks like I will need to invest in some more kits! I had hoped that you would cover these subjects as your sheets have always covered interesting subjects that are largely overlooked by other manufacturers, and are well researched and accurate as well as being nice to use ( I used your Iranian RF-4 decals earlier this year on one of my builds ).

I have a copy of your F-86 sheet and hope to get around to using it soon, and yes I will most likely be building one of the aircraft in the Asia Minor scheme :) .

Craig.

Time for a quick update to prove that I have actually been doing some modelling rather than just reading about everyone else's progress.

The parts for the front cockpit section have all been assembled and faired in now and despite the quite complex construction it was all fairly straight forward with only a small amount of filler being required where the bottom section joins the two side sections. This is how it looks now....

Iran%20F-5%20001_zpspyuz7c8k.jpg

You might just be able to see that I have added a length of multi-strand cabling that I have made to the rear of the cockpit as an attempt to add a bit more detailing to this area of the kit. This is very easy to make, all I did was to super-glue around six strands of thin black coloured wire together and add some thinly cut metallic tape to act as the clips used to fix the cables in place, the wire was then dry brushed with white paint and the effect is quite pleasing. As well as this I have added a couple of wires to the box behind the rear seat, the photo below should show some of this detail.

Iran%20F-5%20002_zpseg4bdkvf.jpg

This is by no means a 100% accurate rendition of the area behind the rear seat but it does make it look more "busy" and when the canopy mechanisms are added it will really help to fill this area in.

I have also been working on the rear section and this is now ready for the addition of the tail, which I will be doing today. You will notice that I have deviated from the instructions by not fitting the horizontal stabilisers before adding the lower rear fuselage segment, I did this so that I could clean up any joint and ease the masking and painting of the exhaust area and the stabs and this is how it looks....

Iran%20F-5%20003_zpsnlmwn7jc.jpg

I have yet to decide whether to droop the flaps and leading edge slats or not, as they seem to fit quite well I can leave that decision until later in the build process. Oh well best get back to the modelling and put the computer down for a bit!

As usual thanks for looking in and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 2

Your cockpit certainly looks very nice so far. I too often add bits and bobs from the spares box to busy up bland areas, even if it's not entirely accurate. Pleasing to the eye is more important to me than rivet counting reality.

• Like 1

Looking good .....just a bit further then my build. it is really great to see multiple builds of the same mold being tackled at the same time by different folks

Love the additional work you put in......just to lazy on my part.....hehehe

Would also check the nose cone. Looks a bit off.....could it be on reverse or is it just me. Reason I say is I had on many occasions got my reversed ......too on previous builds.....:)

Really waiting to see some paint on.....

Rgds

Mr b

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice comments guys, much appreciated.

Mr.B I have checked and re-checked the nose (it didn't look 100% right to me either) and it is on the right way, there is a slight upturn to the nose on the F-5F. Hopefully I will have all the bits assembled by the end of the week and then we can think about putting some paint on her.

Looking good Craig! Nice details added to the cockpit there, will for sure make it pop in the end. Cool looking jet the F-5F, the nose seems to take up half the length of the aircraft! Anyways looking forward to seeing it in the desert camo soon :)!

Cheers,

David.

• Like 1

And this is how she looks at the end of play today.

Iran%20F-5a%20001_zps9fy5yztm.jpg

Almost a complete airframe! And I must admit it has all gone together very well with only a tiny amount of filler being required on the tail joint, as you can see in the photo below....

Iran%20F-5a%20003_zpsnkptbsnk.jpg

That shouldn't take long to tidy up, even for me! I have decided to fit the flaps and slats in the raised position as this is how they have been in nearly all the pictures I have seen of F-5's on the ground and not under power. The fit of these parts is frankly superb, only a tiny clean up was required of the mating faces and a perfect fit was achieved, much to my relief and pleasure, and this is how the wings look now....

Iran%20F-5a%20002_zpsvbrwrkic.jpg

The fit between the two fuselage parts was also exemplary with absolutely no need for any filler, which was another huge relief as this area is very visible and could have caused the loss of a lot of detail and possibly a nasty step so hats off to AFV Club as it all works very well. Here is a close up of the area where the fuselage parts join together....

Iran%20F-5a%20006_zpsdhxqsh5d.jpg

That's it for now, two proper updates in one day is enough for anybody! The canopy parts have been dipped in Klear and are drying so I might be able to do some work on the front canopy piece before I go to work tomorrow, or I might only get to clean up the tail we shall see.

And yes David she does have a very large nose, which is stuffed full of weight so she won't be a tail-sitter hopefully.

Once again thanks for looking in and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

Thanks for the nice comments guys, much appreciated.

Mr.B I have checked and re-checked the nose (it didn't look 100% right to me either) and it is on the right way, there is a slight upturn to the nose on the F-5F. Hopefully I will have all the bits assembled by the end of the week and then we can think about putting some paint on her.

Cheers Craig......something which will not drive me crazy if i was right or not.......... when it comes to my turn.....to get the nose on.....

Lovely progress and the front and back joint looks as if its one piece......great work......

Paint time soon....can't wait

Rgds

Mr B

• Like 1

Cheers Craig......something which will not drive me crazy if i was right or not.......... when it comes to my turn.....to get the nose on.....

Lovely progress and the front and back joint looks as if its one piece......great work......

Paint time soon....can't wait

Rgds

Mr B

Thanks Mr. B,

I'm sure that your F-5 will fit just as well, I am enjoying your build as well. It's great to see other peoples builds of the same model underway at the same time.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the paint, it always takes me ages to get from this point to the painting!

Craig.

These AFV kits really look good. With the F-5 being such a small aircraft, I've been tempted very often to move up from my favourite 1/72 and buy these kits

You should give one a try Giorgio.

Given the relatively small size of the actual aircraft they are not too big in 1/48, and the fit and detail is very good.

Craig.