Spitfire on Skis - a late entry

Dave_R

Hi all,

Having completed my first group build for the BoB GB, I now feel ready for another entry. Inspiration was slow coming, but I had a spare Airfix Spitfire Mk1 and some decals and bits left over from an Airfix Gladiator - so here goes....

On November 30th 1939 the Soviet Union invaded Finland. This was seen around the world as an act of aggression and there was general support for the Finnish cause and in particular 8,760 Swedish volunteers went to fight the Soviets. Amongst these volunteers were a group known as the the Swedish Voluntary Air Force. The British government became aware that this unit was being organised at an early stage through Diplomatic and Air Force contacts. As a propaganda and diplomatic gesture the British Government decided to supply this volunteer force with the most advanced fighter then available, the Spitfire.

12 serviceable Spitfires were selected and on the 14th of December they were flown to Malmo via Denmark. RAF support crew and Supermarine and Rolls Royce engineers followed in a Sunderland. Once there the RAF pilots began the conversion training of the Swedish pilots and the ground support crew began training their counterparts.

The engineers began the fitting of skis to the aircraft. As there was no time to develop any kind of retraction mechanism for the skis, engineers simply took the existing skis from Swedish Air Force Gladiators and replaced the Spitfire’s wheels with them, and removed the undercarriage doors. Obviously this adversely affected performance both in terms of drag and the maximum safe G, but this still left the Spitfire with a major performance advantage in speed and firepower over the Gladiator if not in manoeuvrability.

The necessary work was completed and by January 7th the newly formed Flygflottilj 19 had deployed to Kemi in Finland. The unit returned to Sweden having made a significant contribution to the defence of Finland.

(Apologies for the v. poor photography, but I can't find the battery charger for my DSLR - so this from my phone. The charger will turn up and better photos will follow.)

The Spitfire bits.

ski%20spitfire1_zpsrxzikybo.jpg

The Gladiator bits

IMG_20150822_095153_zpsffmgrgfp.jpg

I'm going have to be quick with this, especially as I have another idea I want to have a go at.

Dave.

• Like 2

Update:-

So far just another Airfix Spitfire - but watch this space....

Big bits all together and ready for a rub down.

ski%20spitfire4_zpsfjgnwzpb.jpg

Underside ready for primer.

ski%20spitfire5_zpsgkutu36v.jpg

Topside ready for primer.

ski%20spitfire6_zpsrijl7jvo.jpg

......and primed

ski%20spitfire7_zpssarq4m91.jpg

....and some sky blue that looks a bit Swedish.

ski%20spitfire8_zpsf0diwlrj.jpg

Satisfying progress so far, I think there's enough time to complete this - and my next build which will soon be unveiled :pilot:

• Like 3