Tamiya 1/32nd A6M2b Zero

Very good start Peter. You've made a nice job of the detail in the cockpit. I remember Nick's Zero. Very nice it was too. Joe.

• Like 2

Peter,

Great job on the cockpit I think we all have a monster lurking somewhere in our carpet I know I do and it comes out when your not looking !! :banghead:

I have always fancied one of these and do it as a well worn airframe so I will pull up a chair to follow your progress :popcorn:

Guy

Bit more done today - first made up the elevators and rudder - all workable, slight blob of glue got away from me so needed a small smear of Mr Surfacer 1200

P1010190_zps9rw7abay.jpg

Then moved onto the wing - the oil cooler and the working U/C doors

P1010192_zps7hir1qss.jpg

The working parts are nice, but fiddly and take time but it's all part of the fun.

Peter

• Like 2

Rear cockpit decking was blue-black like the cowling not the interior colour and if it is going to be a Pearl Harbor bird all were MItsubishi built with the wheel wells painted in the external amber grey colour.

Nick

Thanks - easy fix, just going on the Tamiya instructions but happy to be corrected. Yes it will be a Pearl Harbour bird, from Zuikaku

Undercarriage details for a Mitsubishi-built A6M2:-

Wheel wells and wheel covers (both sides) all airframe colour. Retracting yoke on inner doors is gloss black. Wheel struts gloss black with bright silver chrome oleos. Torque links painted aluminium. Wheel hubs painted aluminium. Tailwheel assembly airframe colour.Tail wheel well aotake - can't recall whether Tamiya include the canvas "boot" which was dark green or black. Tail hook gloss black front mounting and hook, shaft either aotake or airframe colour.

One other detail that often gets missed is that whilst the propeller blades were polished natural metal with very dark brown painted rear faces the spinner was painted aluminium over red-brown primer.

Nick

• Like 1

Undercarriage details for a Mitsubishi-built A6M2:-

Wheel wells and wheel covers (both sides) all airframe colour. Retracting yoke on inner doors is gloss black. Wheel struts gloss black with bright silver chrome oleos. Torque links painted aluminium. Wheel hubs painted aluminium. Tailwheel assembly airframe colour.Tail wheel well aotake - can't recall whether Tamiya include the canvas "boot" which was dark green or black. Tail hook gloss black front mounting and hook, shaft either aotake or airframe colour.

One other detail that often gets missed is that whilst the propeller blades were polished natural metal with very dark brown rear faces the spinner was painted aluminium over red-brown primer.

Nick

Thanks a lot for that lot - very helpful.